1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Film and TV References

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by GuySmiley, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't know why I watched this, but they Mentioned Sesame Street on Looney Toons Babies. Apparently, the plot (what I got of it) featured the TV getting Broken or the power going out or something, so they put on their own shows with a cardboard TV, and they were the players (sounds familliar, huh?) Bugs, Tweety and Taz did some sort of Sesame Street Parody (that I can't recall the name of) and says, "Today's show is broguht to you by the letter (he holds up a scribble, he can't read just yet) and the number one Billion (?)!" SOmeopne asks why he used that, and he says "All the other numbers were taken by that other show." Taz was the Grump (a take off on Oscar the Grouch) and lived in a crate. That's all I got.

On the live action Tick, Tick was going through an identity crisis. Then Arthur (as a narrator) says that maybe the Tick has lost his mind (or the rough equivillant). The Tick is watching Grover, and he says..."DADDY????"

On an opening of an Episode of Garfield and Friends, Garfield says, "Today's show is brought to you by the letter K and the number 9!"

On last seasnon's Simpsons, in which the Republican Party destroys the enviroment, Krusty Suggests, "How about we gewt rid of PBS? Those lousy Muppets have been stealing food out of my mouth for too long!"
  2. GonzoLeaper Active Member

Can't think of many more references right now but...

this is just a quick message in reply to Cantus Rock.
    What does "imposing your beliefs on others" mean?
    By stating what you believe?!!! If you don't agree with what I believe, you don't have to. But I will speak up for the Truth when it is subverted. And I will speak up for Jesus- the only God and Savior. People get "offended" too much.

By the way, Yoda was indeed made by Jim Henson and The Creature Workshop and Frank Oz performed him in the first three Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, in the prequel movies, he is being done via CGI.

Also, Full House is a cool show too.
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Last night on Hollywood Squares, Alec Baldwin got the Question "Does Cookie Monster only eat Cookies?" (or something to that extent) and Ale answered, "I'd hate to break it to you, he's a PUPPET!!!" He answered yes, and the host said "RIGHT! He eats vegetables and Fruits to teach kids nutrition." (Half an answer. He eats Trucks, Plates, any collapsable prop they feed him...)

They also had one about various places on the Simpsons.
  4. Jeffrey Gray Member

Here's another one:

In Dogma, right before Jay shoots Bartleby's wings off, he says:
    "Hey, Big Bird! Time to play the counting game! Count the shells!"

And BTW, Yoda was not created by the Henson workshop. He was actually created by Lucas' group, with help from makeup designer Stuart Freeborn.
  5. punkNpuppets New Member

there were alot of references to the muppets on the Muppet Show.
  6. the_great_gonzo New Member

there was a quick reference on tonight's Do Over:

Pat's mom is talking about a client she had that wanted to get corn rows. Pat's mom then says. "Mind you she looks like Snuffleupagus"

Plus they showed the Mastercard commercial during a break so I got it on tape!
  7. punkNpuppets New Member

here's another Wayans Bros one:

Shawn and Marlon find a baby by their doorstep that they have to take care of. They go through the baby-bag-thing and go through all the stuff, including diapers, a bottle, and a rubber duckie. Marlon takes the rubber duckie and starts singing "Rubber Duckie, you're the one". Shawn continues going through the stuff until he does his trademark 'hit Marlon on the back of the head' and says "Will you shut up, boy!"
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Don't ask me why... I saw an episode of Antiques Road Show in which they were talking about New Orleans and Maris Gras, and showed several people in costumes. Two people were together, and one was wearing a Bert mask, while the other was wearing an Ernie one....
  9. the_great_gonzo New Member

this one's from a Celebrity Jeopardy skit on Saturday Night Live. Alec (Will Ferrell) is naming the categories and he goes:

"FAMOUS MUPPET FROGS. Let me start by saying all the answers in this category are Kermit The Frog."
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Found two this weekend...

In the Movie Jingle all the way, one store has Sesame Street Doll visable (mostly Elmo). A guy walks buy carrying a Big Bird doll when Arnold S. punches the Turbo man Cardboard display out. Later, in the Parade Scene, you can see costumed caracters of Ernie and Bert (non Muppet ones to look out for.. The Tick, Gumby, Leonardo of the Ninja Turtles)

On last night's King of the Hill, Hank and Bobby are watching the Thanksgiving parade, and Hank says, "Hmm.. That Miss Piggy baloon has the same hair as your Mother!"
  11. jeremyactor New Member

In the Blues Brothers movie (the original), right before Jake and Elwood smash the car into the Toys R Us, you see someone hold up a Kermit doll and ask a clerk "Do you have this in a Miss Piggy?" Maybe a reference to the fact that Frank Oz was in the movie as the warden - maybe not.

Jeremy
  12. Gonzo14 Active Member

There was an Episode of the Cosby show where Dr. Huxtable dreamed that 2 muppets (I believe it was Doglion and Sweetums) kidnapped him and took him to a hospital where he was shoved on a stage that looked just like the muppet show stage, Gonzo came out and announced they were going to perform surgery of Dr, Huxtable, there was also a Balcony with 2 hecklers, one was Statler, the other was Bill Cosby dressed like Waldorf

In Forest Gump, Forest Jr. was watching Sesame Street

On Cheers, Diane said Sam's kind a intellectual stimulation was counting with Big Bird
  13. LadyHyde New Member

There was another reference to a Miss Piggy balloon on "Married with Children" where Bud's sick on Thanksgiving and having some naughty, cold-medicine induced thoughts about her.:rolleyes:
  14. punkNpuppets New Member

that show rulez!!!!
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Dispite the fact I cannot stand the show, I was watching Will and Grace last night (someone had it on the telivision, and he liked it) but The really annoying screachy guy (Jack, I guess) Forced Will to sing the Twelve days of Christmas like "The Count from Sesame Street"

It still wasn't funny!
  16. Foreignman New Member

Speaking of "annoying screachy guys", I was watching Saved by the Bell the other day, it was the episode with the frog disection. This was a Junior High episode, from the years with Zack, Lisa, Screach, and three other kids whose names I can't recall, Jessie, Slater, and Kelly hadn't arrived yet. Anyway, the main girl character from that era brings the disection, which disgusts her, to her friends attention, to which Screach screaches "Not Kermit!", the girl replys annoyed, "we're talking actual life here, Screach, not puppets." I hate it when they're called puppets... They're not puppets, they're Muppets.
  17. LadyHyde New Member

There's one from "Punky Brewster" I liked. It's from an episode where Punky's invited to a rich guy's birthday party, and she asks Margo for ettiquette lessons. So, she and Cherry are taking the lesson on how to sit properly-

Punky: (Through clenched teeth) I feel like a Muppet.
    Cherry: You are turning a little green....
  18. the_great_gonzo New Member

i found a couple more Family Guy ones. They're both from the episode where they go to New York.

First up, The Griffins are checking into their hotel and Peter says, "Hey do you have any rats that are bellhops like the muppets?"

Then later,Meg is showing Peter her bird calls, she does one and Big Bird comes up. He says some stuff that I can't exactly say on here but it's hilarious.

Also last night on Saturday Night Live, they were singing a song and Tracy Morgan was dressed up like Chicken Dance Elmo.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Not really a refference, but...

I was watching CBS Sunday Morning, and they had a story about an art gallery having some sort of DJ Mix master event, but only using Christmas records...
    The one they used most frequently was the Sesame Street Christmas Album, and they mixed and scratched the Count's "All I Vant for Christmas are my two front teeth.."

I think this exhibit is still open somewhere, it was only yesterday..
  20. casanovOz New Member

There is also an old "Mother Goose and Grimmy" comic strip which I have on my wall where Grimmy is trying to perform a puppet by saying "what is the top of a house called?" the puppet responds: "woof" and then Grimmy looks at the reader abd says, "hey, Jim Henson had to start somewhere!"
    :)