1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Film and TV References

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by GuySmiley, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

In the Peter Sellers movie Being There, Sesame Street is seen on a TV set. To be exact, it's a clip from #1037, where Buffy sings to Big Bird.
  2. casanovOz

casanovOz New Member

MST3K

I dowloaded and old episode of Mystery Science theatre 3000, who have made many muppet references which I can't exactly remember. but this episode was called "Deathstalker and the Warriors from ****." and they saw the bad guy and Mike said "he looks like Sam the American Eagle"

lol, I dont think there's ever been a Sam reference
  3. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Re: MST3K

As I think many MuppetCentral long-timers know, I am a very big MSTie.

Once I have every episode (I have about 95 now, so I still have a ways to go), I'm going to go through and find all the direct Muppet refs and send them into Ward E at the Info Club. :)

-Matt
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

One of my favorites? On the New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show, Michaelangelo said, "As a Wise Frog once said, 'it's not easy being green!' He didn't know the half of it!"

On some episode oof My wife and Kids (I dislake the show, so I wasn't paying attention) Damian said someone looked like a frog, then called him Kermit, and did a bad impersonation of him....
  5. leliebel

leliebel New Member

oh is that the one with:

"water, water..."
    "oil, oil..."
    "roomservice, roomservice..."?
  6. radionate

radionate New Member

That's the one. :)
  7. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Has this been listed yet?

The other night, I was watching a rerun of That '70s Show. The title of the episode was "That '70s Musical". Anyhoo, they started the episode out by singing "Sing a Song" from Sesame Street. It was "pitchy neat."
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I got one.

Die Another Day:

Jinx: Are you here for the penguins or just the veiw?

There!!! A muppet reference!!!

Also in So Long and Thanks For all the Fish by Douglas Adams there is a reference to a lumonous Kermit doll!!!
  9. LadyHyde

LadyHyde New Member

I was just watching "I Love the '80s-1982" and Michael Ian Black is summing up "Rocky III" by saying-

"The plot of 'Rocky III' is as follows: Sylvester Stallone appears on 'The Muppet Show' , Mr. T is in it, and Rocky fights Mr. T."

They even had Kermit looking out of the O!:)
  10. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Member

This is a computer game reference, but what the hey:

In Worms: Armageddon, at least for some of the voice banks, when you attack someone with Air Strike, one of the possible things your worm will say into the walkie-talkie to call in the air strike is "Come in, Big Bird!"
  11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Of course, there's the Everwood reference. The one girl on Everwood always used to call Ephrim "Grover."
  12. CrouchinWiteKid

CrouchinWiteKid New Member

I just got Family guy on DVD, so I know all the muppet references from season one and two.

From the episode the_great_gonzo was talking about:
    (MEG and PETER are sitting on a bench in New York by an Ice Rink)
    MEG: (Birdcalls)
    (3 Seconds of silence)
    BIG BIRD: Yeah, what'd want?
    (Awkward silence from MEG and PETER)
    BIG BIRD: You called me, right?
    MEG: (half chuckling) No, I-
    BIG BIRD: Oh, so this is funny to you? I can't fly, you know. I have to take the subway. Oh, I don't get stares. You make me sick (Spits on MEG, walks away) *****.

From The episode when the Griffins get their own reality show, and Meg is replaced by a sexier girl.
    (The following has the camera look of MTV's The Real World. Chris is playing outside in the sprinkler as the camera films he and Peter)
    PETER (With puppet MADAME, of "Solid Gold") : Hey, Camera guy, watch this! (to MADAME) Madame, your a lusty old broad!
    PETER as MADAME: Darling, you're the one with your hand on my backside!
    (The Camera now follows the more interest "MEG" as she joins CHRIS in the sprinkler)
    PETER: Hey come back here! She's gonna sing "Rainbow Connection!"
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Okay... did anyone bring this up yet?

King of the Hill: Bobby Kisses a plastic head for refference on how to kiss for a party.

Hank: You're the one sitting him down in front of those Muppets! They got Pigs Kissing Frogs... no wonder!

(or something to that extent)

Plus on Mad Tv, there was a sketch in which someone was Anna Nichol Smith and she saw herself in the Televisions and said, "Look! It's a celebrity! It's Miss Piggy!"
  14. Beakie

Beakie New Member

I remember one from Whose Line Is It Anyway, they're doing one of those things where the style keeps changing and it was something about killer bees I think, they change to the style of Sesame Street and one of the guys says in a Bert voice "Can you spell Bee?" and another says in an Ernie voice "You can't spell B, Bert, it's only one letter!"
  15. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I brought that out on another thread, but not on this one.
  16. Beakie

Beakie New Member

oh and, another Yoda one, there was a Star Wars parody tv special thing called Thumb Wars that had a Yoda-like puppet in it.. something like this

Luke-Skywalker-like character: Who are you?
    Yoda-like thing: I am a puppet! Yeees!
    Luke-Skywalker-like character: ... What?
    Yoda-like thing: From the floor the man does control me! Yeees!
    Luke-Skywalker-like character: I feel I am to train under you.
    Yoda-like thing: Train you will I! Train you I will! Yeees!
  17. Foreignman

Foreignman New Member

In the season finale of Curb your Enthusiasm, Larry injures a food critic in a dodge ball game. Later he goes to apologise to the man whose arms are in full casts after breaking his thumbs. The critic says "I look like a @#$%ing Muppet!".
  18. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, this isn't exactly a Muppet reference, but, on SNL, there used to be a segment called Morning Latte (with Cheri Oteri and Will Ferrell). Will Ferrell's character's name was Tom WILKINS, named after the coffee that the Muppets, Wilkins and Wontkins, used to advertise for.
  19. LadyHyde

LadyHyde New Member

There was one on "The Simpsons" a few weeks ago with Maggie's Elmo doll-"No Means No Elmo".;)
  20. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

This isn't really a Muppet reference but I found this really cool so I'll share it anyways. On the first episode of Seinfeld the outside of the diner they're in is Pete's from the Muppets Take Manhatten. I was so excited when I observed that.