Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol, on the subject of Paul, I remember years ago when I felt I wanted to be a bachelor for life, my mother kept telling me that God means for people to get married, and spend the rest of their lives with their special someone, but I would try to tell her that it actually says in the Bible that not everyone is meant for marriage, to which, she would respond with, "Oh, Paul said that, and you really can't go by what Paul said, nobody wanted to marry him anyway."

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It's like I told my family today. I have seen so many people claim to have a relationship with God or be a certian denomination and go totaly wrong about what that denomination belives and then be shunded or just give up. That is why I'm I am trying to be very careful about my personal relationship with God. I think that if more people did that then we would not have as many problems as we have today.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Lol, on the subject of Paul, I remember years ago when I felt I wanted to be a bachelor for life, my mother kept telling me that God means for people to get married, and spend the rest of their lives with their special someone, but I would try to tell her that it actually says in the Bible that not everyone is meant for marriage, to which, she would respond with, "Oh, Paul said that, and you really can't go by what Paul said, nobody wanted to marry him anyway."
Actually, Paul was married, as were most of the disciples. To be in the position that Paul was in in the church at that time, it was necessary for him to be married. When Paul was telling Christians not to marry, he was referring to the fact that many believed that when Jesus returned it would be a week from next Tuesday, not years and year and even centuries later. So Paul was really saying, "Don't run out and do anything in haste because the end times are coming."

(I've heard many interpretations of this particular passage (and I'm married to a man who studies Greek) and my version here is a generalization, NOT to be confused with the words of Paul OR Jesus.)

***And I would just like to point out how easily several people JUST NOW took wide, unfounded pot-shots at EVERY SOUTHERN BAPTIST on the planet. Gosh, imagine what would happen if someone had said, "Well, you know all ___________s are hypocrites." So, just to be sure I'm understanding the rules, it is not okay to be intolerant, unless of course you don't like some of the members of a particular group. THEN it's okay to impugn the entire groups as being hateful, evil and hypocritical. Right. Got it now. Thanks for the clarification. Oh...and could you look up the word hypocrite for me and see what it says....

Grumble, grumble.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what I've been smelling all day? The smell of this thread being locked in the foreseeable future, things are getting a little heated.
When Paul was telling Christians not to marry, he was referring to the fact that many believed that when Jesus returned it would be a week from next Tuesday, not years and year and even centuries later. So Paul was really saying, "Don't run out and do anything in haste because the end times are coming."
Well, God never promises tomorrow, so all things considered, in a sense just about everyday we have could very well be our last, we just don't know for sure, as God isn't telling anybody, not even Jesus, when the end times will be.
***And I would just like to point out how easily several people JUST NOW took wide, unfounded pot-shots at EVERY SOUTHERN BAPTIST on the planet. Gosh, imagine what would happen if someone had said, "Well, you know all ___________s are hypocrites." So, just to be sure I'm understanding the rules, it is not okay to be intolerant, unless of course you don't like some of the members of a particular group. THEN it's okay to impugn the entire groups as being hateful, evil and hypocritical. Right. Got it now. Thanks for the clarification. Oh...and could you look up the word hypocrite for me and see what it says....

Grumble, grumble.
Yeesh, I liked it better when you ignored people.

A hypocrite is someone who basically doesn't practice what they preach, or even does the exact opposite of what they say people should do. I wasn't taking pot shots at EVERY SINGLE SOUTHERN BAPTIST ON THE PLANET, but I've known Southern Baptists to be rather hypocritical compared to other denominations... I could use my own older sister as an example of usually being a religious fanatic, but committing a lot of sins without thinking twice about it, but I won't.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And I won't talk about all the southern baptists who have openly attacked my family about our religious choices :/

Ruahnna

Reaction score
People don't attack people because they are Denomination A or Denomination B or because they Xosexual or Yosexual or Zosexual. They attack other people because they have bad manners and do not engage in civil discourse. When they do inappropriate things, they do not do it on behalf of all of the members of a particular group. True, some groups seem to attract more than their fair share of ill-mannered people (I am thinking of a couple right now), but that still doesn't mean that, for example, all cheerleaders are snotty and all jocks are stupid and all smart people are nerds. Those are generalizations, and it behooves us all to look beyond the generalizations to what's truly important. Jesus did. And if you don't like Jesus, Jim did. Jim envisioned a world that would accept a frog as a talk-show host and a pig as a superstar and a monster with OCD and a sugar dependency as a perfect children's entertainer. He gave muppet-builders a chance to be muppeteers and skinny high school kids a chance to come and work for him--even if he was too shy to do voices at first.

Surprisingly, I'm going to have to side with D'Snowth on this one. I liked it better when I was ignoring all this. What a good idea.

When you say "attack," I presume you mean either physically or verbally assaulted your family, and not just vehemently disagreed with your families choices.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I would just like to point out how easily several people JUST NOW took wide, unfounded pot-shots at EVERY SOUTHERN BAPTIST on the planet...
I hope you don't think I was taking pot-shots at anyone. And I hope you don't believe that I was saying the Christian belief is necessarily hateful because I don't believe that at all.

I believe that we can all co-exist and thrive on our own paths without stepping on each other's toes, but this feeling is not shared by the Chick-Fil-A president and the organizations he funds. It's an either/or proposition for them. That's what I take issue with. It is not their beliefs I find hateful. It's the action of forcing it upon others that is hateful.

Allowing gays equality is allowing them to share in America's freedom. No one is forcing Christians or the churches to condone or perform marriage ceremonies they don't agree with. However, to deny that right to people outside their church or faith who want it is wrong. I believe that Christians can worship and gay people can get married without one having to influence or endorse the other. I'd have absolutely no problem what the Chick-Fil-A folk personally believed if they got behind the concept of allowing others to practice what they believe too.

Your earlier post cited what many preachers refer to as a Cafeteria Christian. Those are people of faith who accept the portions of scripture that connect with them and discard the parts they do not agree with. I can understand some Christians frowning on that practice. I can also understand many Christians' reluctance to accept some of the bizarre things in the Bible that reflect the society at the time they were written. As long as we treat each other with respect, I don't believe people should be judged for their choices by their fellow man.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Excuse me? I have so much I want to say back to you, but thats just going to delve into an argument. I do believe in Jesus. And I believe that people who judge you for your beliefs are not following in the ways of Jesus. I realize a few bad apples doesn't apply to every single person of a certain religion. You know, being catholic, I get a lot of flack. Its like Catholics are easy targets. but you know what? I don't get offended when my religion in general is attacked. If you know you do not fit in with whatever mold someone is generalizing a religion to be, there is no reason to go and flame the person. Just shrug it off.

Edit: Jamie ziffled me

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Umm Jim Henson maybe have been raised as a Christian science but I don't think there's been anything to say if he practiced it or not and let me just say this there are good and bad apples in every religion. To me this is like how bulldogs get the bad wrap for being fighting dogs so everyone thinks their ALL like that. But no one ever considers looking at the individual dog who might not have a vicious biting, dog fighting bone in their body. Don't judge a whole group and think everyone is like that that annoys me to no end.

And I know people who are Southern baptist that I wouldn't want to bring my friends who don't practice Christianity because I know they would force their beliefs on them and tell them how their living is wrong and that Im dead set against that because no one regardless of religion has a right to tell someone how they should live or force their religious beliefs. Like the bible said god says god loves everyone! On the other hand I have Christian friends who Id love to being around my non christian friends simply because they aren't like that. And it's the other way around for some of non Christian people that I know. It's the people from Westboro Baptist church who go around saying all gays are going to **** and people who protest at a military's funeral that gives us a bad wrap and that makes me sick because not all southern baptists are like that. My church refuses to acknowledge them as baptists or even christians for that matter cause they spew nothing but hate.

All I'm saying is try not to judge that a group of people are ALL the same. At the end of the day regardless of religion were all human we a have our faults no one is perfect and if anyone claims to be I wanna see them walk on water. None of us regardless of religious beliefs has any right to tell someone how they should and shouldn't live or what they should and shouldn't believe. A gay couple deserves all the benefits and rights a straight couple does. Jim Henson never singled out anyone for that and we should follow his example heck the Henson company for that matter we should follow their example.