Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

Slackbot

Reaction score
My point remains: there are a lot of things that the Bible prohibits, but people pick and choose which ones to follow based on their existing beliefs.

Cracker Barrel fired employees because they were gay. Not because it had any impact on their work whatsoever, but simply because they did not display "normal heterosexual values," according to the internal memo. Also, they discriminated against black people, both employees and customers. I have a huge problem with companies that don't treat people like people. Supposedly they've gotten a clue since then, but I still have no desire to spend money there.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I had no idea that they actually spend money to try to prevent civil rights.

But I still stand by what I said. If people are dumb enough to boycott a cookie because the company printed a gay rights ad on facebook, maybe it would be in the company's best interest to just not say anything. Companies shouldn't come under attack for supporting rights that everyone should have :/
I agree with that and I'm not sure how much good boycotts really do.

A lot of people have incorrectly assumed that LGBT supporters are attacking Chick-Fil-A for voicing their personal views. That's not the case. We're concerned about where their money goes. They were one of the financial contributors to California's Prop 8 and other organizations attempting to roll back the clock on our civil liberties. They've been really cagey about disclosing that in the past so this recent statement by them isn't a case of honest or open communication. They also have a history of discrimination toward other religions. In other words, they're shady.

The owners behind In-N-Out Burger are obviously Christian, but they share their faith in a fun way rather than impose it on others in an underhanded one. I think that's great! The world needs more of that!

Okay, now what'd Cracker Barrel do? I'm curious.

And that shellfish thing applies to the Jewish faith, not Christian: most Jews don't eat shellfish because it isn't Kosher... Christians on the other hand, in the old days, Catholics didn't eat red meat on Friday, but in these days, that's kind of slack.
This confuses a lot of people because the overturning of the shellfish rule wasn't specifically addressed in scripture. However it is in keeping with the old covenant with God and it is a popular belief that Jesus' coming changed that particular rule, but not some other ones. Those types of contrivances always make my head explode, but in a fun, Muppety way. :eek:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Catholics didn't eat red meat on Friday, but in these days, that's kind of slack.
Actually, its only on Good Friday. But I'm a horrible Catholic that will burst into flames if I was to ever enter a church so...XD

mupcollector1

Reaction score
(Don't know if i'm posting in right place; there's no "Henson Headlines" thread)

The Jim Henson Co just issued the following statement about their recent promotion with Chick-Fil-A. After reading this, my love for the Henson Company just increased even more as if that was even possible!:

"The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors. Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD. (http://www.glaad.org/)"
That's so beautiful :smile: That's wonderful of Lisa to do that. :smile:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
My point remains: there are a lot of things that the Bible prohibits, but people pick and choose which ones to follow based on their existing beliefs.
This confuses a lot of people because the overturning of the shellfish rule wasn't specifically addressed in scripture. However it is in keeping with the old covenant with God and it is a popular belief that Jesus' coming changed that particular rule, but not some other ones. Those types of contrivances always make my head explode, but in a fun, Muppety way.
What I've encountered is that people who tend towards, "But the Bible prohibited thus-and-such, do we still do that???" type of arguments, haven't read both testaments of the Bible (or haven't looked into one as much as the other). As far as clean/unclean being abolished, that's addressed in Acts, which basically chronicles the earliest days of Christianity. So those things were "overturned" very early on, with the earliest disciples. (OK, I'm done now.)

Slackbot

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, my two best friends of late, both of whom I've met on the Internet and continued the friendship into Real Life, are very religious women. One's LDS and the other is Catholic. Neither one was ever put off by my sexual orientation. They both believe that we have brains and judgment for a reason, and we should think about what is right and wrong.

I suppose that's the flipside of the "Cafeteria Catholic" thing, though. If you agree with the person's stance, you say they make intelligent judgment calls. If you don't agree, or believe that the only way to be religious is to follow every word of the Bible literally, you see that as using the Bible only to justify your own views.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To say that you adhere to a group of beliefs and then flout your defiance of one or all of them is the epitome of hypocrisy.
Well not always. Sometimes a denomination does employ rules that are arguably against what the wishes of Jesus would be and Christians shouldn't follow it blindly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, its only on Good Friday. But I'm a horrible Catholic that will burst into flames if I was to ever enter a church so...XD
Reminds me of something my best friend once said, regarding being raised a Catholic: "I consider myself a good Christian, but a bad Catholic". :laugh:
Well not always. Sometimes a denomination does employ rules that are arguably against what the wishes of Jesus would be and Christians shouldn't follow it blindly.
I know Baptists (particularly Southern Baptists) tend to be a little more hypocritical than others when it comes to certain rules to abide by... heck, I was brought up in a Baptist church before my family joined a Cumberland Presbyterian one some years back, and up until very recently, I didn't even know what Lent was. Then again, that seems more like another something that mostly Catholics observe anyway.

Hubert

Reaction score
Though that is true, I think that Ruahnna was actually not talking about the denomination itself, but the actual religious principles. She was more referring to a Christian saying they believe in the Bible, yet then disagree with one or all of the principles in it.