Harry Potter and the order of the phoniex

wolfy

Reaction score
I know that someone had said that they hated when they had read a book they loved, then saw the movie, how it had been adapted.

Please remember that you are seeing onscreen just one person's vision of whatever book is being made into a movie.

We all have different ideas as to how someone looks, talks, dresses and how things are played out when we read our various stories and books, and to see someone else's version of what we thought was one way or another can be quite jarring.

You expect your hero to look a certain way, but he/she doesn't. No one really fits the mold exactly as you had imagined, because it's not your imagined story on the screen...it's the director's version of the way he/she imagined it!

I hated so many of the movies I went to see after I had read the books; this is one reason I am not reading the "Potter" series.

My favorite author for a long time was Stephen King. I still admire King, moreso since his accident for he is truly a brave man, but my "fan-atic" admiration has lessened over the years. His story "Pet Semetary" was written like a script. Almost anyone could take it and make it a script directly from the book!

But when the movie came out...oh, my, gawd...

It had to be the absolute worst of his movies, seriously. And I'm not saying that the adaptations of "Carrie," "Christine" and others (especially "Thinner") were any better. The closest anyone came to the book, in my eyes and fan-mind, was "Dead Zone." Whomever chose Chris Walken for "Johhny" was dead on. I mean seriously dead on!

It's the same with the "Harry Potter" movies and books. While people are clammoring for more, more, more in both the books and the movies, the next installment of the movies are going to be different once more. Why? No Chris Columbus this time around, so we will be seeing Harry and the gang through a new director's eyes. Who is to say this won't be better? Or, worse?

But how many of you said the same thing when you saw the first "Harry" movie? "I thought the scar would be different; I thought Harry would look different; I didn't think they would look that way at all..." Yett you still loved it to the point where you wanted to see the next one as soon as possible.

My kids are the same way about the books and the movies. They will nit-pick the movie against the books, yet they are so anxious for the next installments of both. Considering that one is over 18 and the other is only 10, this covers a lot of "kid" ground. :smile:

Well, that's just my two cents for the day about Harry Potter books, books that are made into movies and the visions of ours compared to the visions of someone else's onscreen.

By the way...I enjoyed "To Kill a Mockingbird." But then, I had the fun of having a college class where we would read certain books then compare them to the movies people had made from them and nit-pick them to death with comparisons. Best class I could have hoped for...
wolfy

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Um, I'm the one who said that, but I said it to prove the point you made in the first place. That a film should never be exactly like the book. :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

I even dressed up as Harry for Halloween three years ago. Geek.
Yeah, you and every other person in England and America that year! :rolleyes:

Green Gelfling

Reaction score
actually... if i remember correctly... that Halloween i went around as an over-stressed-underpaid-overworked-frumpy-barista-student-artist.

finding the costume was a real challenge. :crazy:

btw...Barnes & Noble is now carrying new harry potter mugs/cups in anticipation of friday night

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
Please remember that you are seeing onscreen just one person's vision of whatever book is being made into a movie.

We all have different ideas as to how someone looks, talks, dresses and how things are played out when we read our various stories and books, and to see someone else's version of what we thought was one way or another can be quite jarring.

You expect your hero to look a certain way, but he/she doesn't. No one really fits the mold exactly as you had imagined, because it's not your imagined story on the screen...it's the director's version of the way he/she imagined it!
My only problem with book adaptions is when they change the plot line for no apparent reason.

originally posted by wolfyI hated so many of the movies I went to see after I had read the books; this is one reason I am not reading the "Potter" series.
You are doing yourself a huge dis-service by not reading them! They're too good to pass up even if you already have seen the movies. There's too much stuff you miss out on by not reading them and only seeing the movies!!!:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What do you think of Rowling? She's a very odd, headstrong woman. I guess that's what makes the books such a driving force in global pop culture.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
word number one that comes to mind

GENIOUS

Sarah

of course, she's a genious in england......hehe.....ok time to shut off the poodle hat

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
i think she is a very creative woman. it takes a heck of an imagination to create those kinda stories. and to contiune them over a span of 7 book, i couldnt do it. i like to, maybe some day i'll try, but i think i wont succed at that dream