Getting To Know You...

Zondra

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I always associate "Imagine" with that episode of Quantum Leap as well. I think I'd heard it before, but it really made an impression there...
I've never even seen Quantum Leap...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Party_Animal said:
Me too. "Into the west" and the song Pippin sings. I don't know the name of it. :embarrassed: But anyway, Billy Boyd has a fantastic voice. :flirt:
Oh, man, that scene utterly blew me away in the movie. And it really threw me for a loop; I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought he might sing, but not like that. And I read that was a last-minute addition too; Jackson thought the charge scene needed something, so he decided it would be a good place to insert a song. It really turns what could have been just a horrific scene of mass slaughter into a very intimate moment of melancholy. It's a defining moment for Pippin, as well as a way of getting the audience to appreciate the loss on a more personal level. The track is "The Steward of Gondor," and the words are the last verse in a song that shows up early in the first book. It's another example of how the filmmakers take things directly from the book and place them in a completely different context, to dramatic and surprising effect. They did that a lot with Pippin in "Return"; another really powerful moment was his conversation about death with Gandalf. Gandalf's words were largely lifted from the narration at the very end of the book; I thought that little conversation was a stroke of genius. Anyway, the song is referred to in the book as "Upon the Hearth the Fire is Red" or simply a Hobbit Walking Song and is supposed to have been written by Bilbo. I agree, Billy's voice is divine, and the fact that he composed the melody himself is very impressive. Erm... sorry about the rambling... Did I mention I love your new avatar???
Erin

Zondra

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
One of the all-time greats. It's coming out on dvd, starting this June! :excited:
I might have to check it out when it does.

Party_Animal

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Oh, man, that scene utterly blew me away in the movie. And it really threw me for a loop; I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought he might sing, but not like that. And I read that was a last-minute addition too; Jackson thought the charge scene needed something, so he decided it would be a good place to insert a song. It really turns what could have been just a horrific scene of mass slaughter into a very intimate moment of melancholy. It's a defining moment for Pippin, as well as a way of getting the audience to appreciate the loss on a more personal level. The track is "The Steward of Gondor," and the words are the last verse in a song that shows up early in the first book. It's another example of how the filmmakers take things directly from the book and place them in a completely different context, to dramatic and surprising effect. They did that a lot with Pippin in "Return"; another really powerful moment was his conversation about death with Gandalf. Gandalf's words were largely lifted from the narration at the very end of the book; I thought that little conversation was a stroke of genius. Anyway, the song is referred to in the book as "Upon the Hearth the Fire is Red" or simply a Hobbit Walking Song and is supposed to have been written by Bilbo. I agree, Billy's voice is divine, and the fact that he composed the melody himself is very impressive. Erm... sorry about the rambling... Did I mention I love your new avatar???
Erin
I loved that scene. Pip singing and showing Faramir and all those soliders about to attack those Orcs was so sad. Because you pretty much new there was little to no chance of them surviving was just so sad. I almost cried during that scene. :cry: I did end up crying by the end of the film. It was definatley a definind moment for Pippin. There were a lot of defining moments for Pip, this movie showed that he wasn't just "a foolof a Took".Anyway, it was an amazing scence and movie. I don't remember reading the song in the first book. But then again I don't have a good memory. :embarrassed: But anyway, it seems my avater is rather popular. :wink: There's quite a few fellow Billy Boyd lovers on here. :big_grin:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
The song wasn't really in any kind of important scene or anything in the first book. They were just walking along and singing to themselves to keep themselves entertained; they were still in the Shire and weren't feeling terribly threatened at that moment, though by the end Pippin was singing rather too enthusiastically and Frodo was afraid they'd attracted some attention... :stick_out_tongue: It definitely was a good movie for Pippin. They gave him lots of really great scenes that I didn't expect. I almost cried during this scene too and did cry for pretty much the last 20 minutes straight...
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
You'd be a great film/music reviewer/writer, great posts.

:cool: