"America's Next Muppet" mini-series in development

Teheheman

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
(Some people might kill me for saying this, but) I dont think we need a new show right now, I believe Disney needs to do more research and get the Muppets back to its original form in order to make the show a success, but If we have a Muppet show right now? I believe it will flop, the rate the Muppets are treated right now. But thats my opinion.
That actually sounds like a dang good idea. It's probably better to develop them and make sure that they bring them back with something good instead of throwing them to the wolves with something like MWoO. Personally, I think they should listen to us fans, and look at what they did in the past to make the original show great. Then, we'll have a show worthy of putting on TV.

Daniel

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
(Some people might kill me for saying this, but) I dont think we need a new show right now, I believe Disney needs to do more research and get the Muppets back to its original form in order to make the show a success, but If we have a Muppet show right now? I believe it will flop, the rate the Muppets are treated right now. But thats my opinion.
no way (on my side anyways) I agree with you 100% I got the book before you leap the kermit book the othernight and there is this amazing shot with kermit, piggy, anima, rizzo, beau, droop, gonzo, doglion, and many others and as I was at the store I showed the photo to my friend with a tear in my eye and said "dang it now this is the muppets right here this visualy is the muppets to me" "& thats whats missing!! all these creatures and monsters and other characters the muppets are more than just kermit, piggy, fozzie, and gonzo it's all these odd creatures!!"
And now after watching almost every episode of the muppet show and muppet movies he agrees with me that is exactly whats missing the supporting cast.

Tim

Reaction score
And let's not forget the guest stars. Though not all of them were gems, they did manage to book most of the legends, often times right before they died. Who are you going to book now-Jessica Simpson? The winners of "American Idol"? Come ON!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
See I think a show could be put out within some time frame, if hiring was done correctly. I'm not saying put it out next month, but I think if an announcement was done tomorrow saying who was hired for development was announced, I would see nothing wrong with a years time. You can't research and create the magic that is the Muppets in that way, it just has to happen. I would nowhere point to knowing the formula, but I think making sure you have the right people is a HUGE part.

*gets off soapbox*

Sorry

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Disney has been raising my hackles more and more recently. The only thing that would really make me sorta-kinda happy is the Disney Treasures, the new Walt Disney Legacy DVDs, and the Muppet Show Season 2 DVDs (which I can understand pushing it till after the Christmas holidays, because it'd be TOO much Disney. They were smart...for a change!). The DVD unit is in shambles. The cheap shorts collections are really half-baked. It's like Disney thinks that their fans "won't care" and that children "won't care". On the big adult fans "not caring", I call bs. How do VICIOUS video glitching errors EVER get past QA??? Disney needs to put the "Quality" back in to "Disney". They're moving in the right direction, but they need to do more.

*stepping off Soapbox #1934 now* (those of you who get my reference deserve a cookie)

BJ

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Tim said:
And let's not forget the guest stars. Though not all of them were gems, they did manage to book most of the legends, often times right before they died. Who are you going to book now-Jessica Simpson? The winners of "American Idol"? Come ON!
there are plenty of great bands who could be guests on the muppet show I for one would love to see a alice cooperish episode w/ Rob Zombie, They could also have they might be giants, bjork, marilyn manson, jim carry, will farrel, Sparklehorse, Outkast, David Bowie, Eels, Madonna, Gorillaz, Human League, Komeda, Praga Khan, The White Stripes, Rasputina, heck they could even have new british stars come onto the show, and the list goes on!
So to say there are no good modern guests for the show is a bit un-true.
It's gonna take allot of study and time to get it right though and people like jim and his crew who care as much as they did about the muppets and sadly I think the only ones who really care that much are muppet fans themselves.

spcglider

Reaction score
I've aid it before and I'll say it again... Disney is trying to quantify the Muppets and force them to become a "formula".

It cannot be done.

You cannot formulate "silly". Its like trying to put 100 kilos of mercury into a 24 carat muffin tin.

The Muppets were a hot potato for a while, but they've cooled considerably under the icy touch of the Mouse's bean counters.

Everything the Muppets did was wellsprung directly from Jim's gut instinct, or as Jerry Juhl put it, his "whim of steel".

Bean counters are, by definition, not whimsical, silly, or prone to act on instinct.

Until the Disney company puts a new, TRUE, creative head on the MHC (and gets the heck out of their way so the silliness can ensue), they are going to languish and falter.

-Gordon

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Right. I think it would be smart for Disney to help install a decent creative team, and then step back....WAY back.

I sure wish Lasseter was a crazy obsessed Muppet fan.....he's the one person Iger will really listen to on the imaginative side.

spcglider

Reaction score
All the folks at PIXAR are Muppet fans (from what I understand), but John L. is SO busy being involved with not only the computer animation end of things, but also with the Theme Park Imagineers and a spearhead effort to bring traditional animation BACK to the US (and to Disney) that he probably doesn't have enough time to scratch his own bum at this point.

Yes, I'd LOVE to see him name a proper Henson successor. Its a great idea, but one not probably in the offing.

-G

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Haha you're ruining my perfect dream!

We just don't need any more business people in charge of the Muppets....because they may be able to tell you all about profits and margins and all sorts of jazz, but they tend to lack in the imagine department.

And I'm sure Lasseter has friends who are just as crazy/genius as he is. Let him name some people!

I just really like Lasseter........