"America's Next Muppet" mini-series in development

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Lassater's cool. It was great seeing him directing again for Cars!

... I was thinking about this the other day. Wouldn't be great if the Muppet performers were in charge of the Muppets? Unrealistic, yes, but imagine what it would be like if Steve Whitmire and Bill Barretta were in charge of what happened with the Muppets.

Just my own fantasy put out there.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I've thought about that too! The bad part is that there has to be some sort of business mindset. Jim was naturally very smart in a business sort of way and I don't know about the Muppeteers. Maybe if it was a team of the Muppeteers combine with a business minded person who could advise when things weren't possible, it would work.

I, personally, still admire Brian. I know that ship kinda sailed, but I think he's really learned to judge the lines between business and entertaining.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I had a theory as to why Brian had even sold the Muppets. Perhaps he felt the Muppets had become too big for the Henson britches. What I mean by that is that the Muppets are an awful lot to handle. Jim could handle it, as you said, but I think maybe Brian's creative side was getting drowned out, and that can be very frustrating. After all, look what's come from the Hensons now that the Muppets are gone. Brian seems to be doing alot of the kinds of things Jim would do before The Muppet Show, and seems to be having more fun with that.

Maybe.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I can see that. Brian is doing a fine job with what Henson still has (a darn fine good job) that I find it sad that he's happier with being in charge of smaller, lesser known, and therefor easier to maintain names. But ya know, it's kinda the same thing Jim was going for too with the original buyout.

But I'm sure if he was in charge of creative development, with a Disney accountant to tell him 'yes' and 'no' it would be a lot easier on him.

But I totally respect his decision.

unclematt

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
no way (on my side anyways) I agree with you 100% I got the book before you leap the kermit book the othernight and there is this amazing shot with kermit, piggy, anima, rizzo, beau, droop, gonzo, doglion, and many others and as I was at the store I showed the photo to my friend with a tear in my eye and said "dang it now this is the muppets right here this visualy is the muppets to me" "& thats whats missing!! all these creatures and monsters and other characters the muppets are more than just kermit, piggy, fozzie, and gonzo it's all these odd creatures!!"
And now after watching almost every episode of the muppet show and muppet movies he agrees with me that is exactly whats missing the supporting cast.
Kermit probably had it right when he said that they needed nmore bears and chikens and dogs and birds and etc.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ideal situation: total creative control without worrying about the business end.

Of course, that doesn't happen often. Lord Grade pretty much gave that to Jim, then he was doing both.

unclematt

Reaction score
Do you seriously think Disney will ever hire a Henson to be in charge of the Muppets. I dont

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Do you seriously think Disney will ever hire a Henson to be in charge of the Muppets. I dont

or them hiring HUGE Muppets fans like us would be a plus :smirk:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
unclematt said:
See I go either way on that one. Contrary to popular belief (and my own sometimes) Disney is not evil. If Brian does amazing work with his next few projects, Disney might want some of that success.

It's all business.