Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I get you. :smile: I'm just kind of jaded about the awards shows thing, I don't think they're consistent at all as far as recognizing quality. They're there to keep the Hollywood machine going.
Trust me I don't either but the fact the academy recgonzied it as a good song says a lot. When The Muppets should've clearly won many, many times. So to me it's kind of a big deal. Lol!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Trust me I don't either but the fact the academy recgonzied it as a good song says a lot. When The Muppets should've clearly won many, many times. So to me it's kind of a big deal. Lol!
Oh yeah totally. I look at it as one of the rare times the Academy did its job, hehe. :wink:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I know right?! Any other time to me they picked some pretty crappy songs. But everyone is entitled to their opinion were not all gonna like the same things but that was the first time I've seen someone say they didn't care for it so I was kind of taken aback. LOL!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I just saw it a few days ago for the first time on DVD...
I liked it, but I didn't like the heavy human focus (in some parts I felt like the human romance overshadowed Kermit and Piggy rather than mirroring it) and how Kermit's speech about kids being smarter than trashy programs was cut short XD.
Also, I'm sure it has been talked about before but they seemed to act as if the Muppets hadn't done anything since the 80's movies and the Muppet Show, which took me aback a little. Other than that, and wishing Whoopi had interacted with them more, no downside that I could see. It was spiffy :big_grin:!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Also, I'm sure it has been talked about before but they seemed to act as if the Muppets hadn't done anything since the 80's movies and the Muppet Show, which took me aback a little.
Well they did some projects in the '90s and early 2000's but it's been an uphill battle to say the least.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I just saw it a few days ago for the first time on DVD...
I liked it, but I didn't like the heavy human focus (in some parts I felt like the human romance overshadowed Kermit and Piggy rather than mirroring it) and how Kermit's speech about kids being smarter than trashy programs was cut short XD.
Also, I'm sure it has been talked about before but they seemed to act as if the Muppets hadn't done anything since the 80's movies and the Muppet Show, which took me aback a little. Other than that, and wishing Whoopi had interacted with them more, no downside that I could see. It was spiffy :big_grin:!
I agree with the point about kermit's speech. I get the joke mind you...Kermit giving one of his hearfelt speeches and getting cut off....but that was a speech I wanted to hear.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Like all Muppet films, TM is a contrived account of events. It's an approximate telling rather than an accurate one. That device is set-up from the first Muppet Movie so I have no problem with them pretending that the gang hadn't worked together for a while even though MWOZ was 6 years prior and LTS only 3!

My one minor note has to do with the external design of the theatre and how it was dressed. It makes sense that they'd use the Disney-owned ElCapitan, but a little digital matte painting for the upper portion of the place and some visual connection to to match the Muppet Studios portion would have been ideal. They just closely-cropped the shots instead. As stated, this is a minor criticism because the brief glimpses of the theatre look different in every telling. Even so, I've always felt it looked something a little closer to this:
On a positive note, the internal structure of the theatre is much better than the one in VMX! Yeah, the balconies are a little off and it's way bigger, but it works. The VMX seating area looked hap-hazard, especially with the sconces and decorative molding.​
I can only guess that they'd create all new interior and exterior designs if a new Muppet Show hits the airwaves. If so, I hope they gear it back toward its original charm. I always felt the Muppet Theatre was a small, cramped art house in Brooklyn (or at least waaaaay off-Broadway). We all know it was really taped from across the pond. No matter what, we know that in real life the Muppet players are free-agents that only come together for projects when called and that no one physical theatre exists.​