Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Ok- after reading a lot of responses on here after my criticisms of the movie based on what I read in the junior novelization- definitely wanted to post to clarify and defend what I said:

First of all, don't get me wrong: I LOVED this movie! It was wonderful and tear-jerking, smile provoking and just so darn adorable and done very well for the most part and I am so greatful to all of the performers, Segel, Bobin, Stoller, etc because overall the movie was just wonderful.

However,
Originally posted by Avilos
I think it is a mistake to compare any film to a novelazation. For one these are based on scripts. Not from actually worked on set with the cast and crew. They may have found out that some of this footage did not work, which is why the absence from the finished film. This is often the case when deleted scenes are viewed on DVDs. Also often film novelazation writers often fill in details of their own invention that have nothing to do with the planned film.-
Part of me agrees with you, but another part of me also disagrees a lot and here's why, they made a junior novelization, marketed it and released it to the public over a month before the movie came out (a huge mistake in my opinion). They marketed the book as being based on the new movie and they wanted people to read it and create buzz for the movie so saying that I don't think that it is a mistake to compare the film to the novelization ...- it's a mistake that Disney execs or whoever decided to create the junior novel and sell it before the movie came- they should have expected that people who read the book before seeing the movie would compare the two because it happens all the time and it's perfectly acceptable. I really think they should have never released the novel before the movie came out because it does create expectations for the film. I wouldn't care as much if one of the main reasons behind this new film wasn't the fact that they wanted to introduce a new generation to the Muppets-when you leave out important parts of the backstory that shows potentially new fans why the Muppets are who they are, that's a huge mistake that does injustice to old and new fans alike. If they didn't want people to compare the film to the book, the book should not have released before the movie or not created at all, it's as simple as that. It was a strategy to gain revenue and create buzz for the movie and for the most part I definitely think it backfired.

Originally posted by Savethemuppets
As a whole, it works. MAYBE it would have been better if we knew Tex's backstory, but to me, the story isn't about him. In my opinion, the fact that the Muppets stole everyone's attention from him at his own tenth birthday party (or whatever year it was) isn't THAT strong of a plot point to begin with. The fact that he's just a traditional money hungry oil baron is a stronger choice (in my opinion). I don't associate that classic stereotypical character with a jolly sense of humor anyway. The "maniacal laugh" joke works for me. Its random as **** without the backstory, but how much of the Muppet show humor is based on randomness? When Deadly points it out at the end, he could just have easily said, "You oil people CAN'T LAUGH".

The Miss Piggy/Kermit flashback didn't really help move the MOVIE along either (I stress MOVIE because maybe it does help the novel, but books and movies are different animals altogether). I don't think it takes a hardcore fan to know there's a history with Kermit and Piggy. To accommodate everyone would require a MASSIVE flashback going back to The Muppet Show days. Her initial reaction makes it pretty clear there's a love interest and the quick recovery and rejection clearly lays out its a toxic relationship. The torn photograph speaks volumes and (again, in context) I didn't need to see who ripped it or why it was ripped. The point is...it was ripped. Its the easiest metaphor you can have.

Maybe my very involvement with the movie makes it impossible for me to be as subjective as I hope everyone else is, but I really tried to watch the entire movie without my preconceived notions. In the end, I didn't find it to be a challenge at all. I really like the movie. I really like the nostalgia (and I'm not event as hardcore as a majority of the members here on this forum) and the self aware jokes. The plot points that are important (from a broader message standpoint) were respected and handled with the greatest of care. If a few of the smaller story points fell to the wayside just a bit to make room for that bigger message... I'm ok with that
First of all, thank you so much for your work on this movie. Secondly, although I can see where you are coming from, I have to respectfully disagree about some of your comments- I definitely think that Tex's backstory should have been fleshed out a tiny bit more- the whole maniacal laugh thing is totally creepy and out of place without the context. It's not random funny as the muppets are random and funny, it was just weird and really out of place without the context.

On Kermit and Piggy's relationship- I think that people should have gotten at least some back-story about the relationship because it shouldn't be treated as the stereotypical romantic comedy back and forth thing- sure the ripped photo says a lot, but it also doesn't say a lot either and I think one of the main ways that people can learn about the characters is getting a little of that backstory-Kermit and Piggy were always complex characters even though recent projects did not treat them as such, and to really learn about the characters new fans should get at least some of that. I think putting more of their backstory in would have added a lot of value to the movie- I think it's one thing that they really shouldn't have glossed over like they did.

Whoever from the muppets team who told Jason that Kermit is never mean is totally and utterly wrong! One of the great things about Kermit and the Muppets is that they are multi-dimensional characters and are very human because they are not perfect. Kermit is a great leader but not perfect- he gets mad and says stuff he regrets like all of us do, which is one of the reasons why people love him so much- everyone can relate to him and he can bring the best out of himself and everyone because despite his flaws he is a wonderful character.Kermit is a meanie sometimes and I think that's great because it adds so much to his character.

Ok- the lawyer in me is happy because I defended my viewpoints- Now everyone see the movie or see it again. Also, we need to be vigilant in asking for an awesome director's cut fully extended DVD release for The Muppets so we can see all the wonderful stuff that was shot that unfortunately got let out

12Medbe

Reaction score
Ok- after reading a lot of responses on here after my criticisms of the movie based on what I read in the junior novelization- definitely wanted to post to clarify and defend what I said:

First of all, don't get me wrong: I LOVED this movie! It was wonderful and tear-jerking, smile provoking and just so darn adorable and done very well for the most part and I am so greatful to all of the performers, Segel, Bobin, Stoller, etc because overall the movie was just wonderful.

However,

Part of me agrees with you, but another part of me also disagrees a lot and here's why, they made a junior novelization, marketed it and released it to the public over a month before the movie came out (a huge mistake in my opinion). They marketed the book as being based on the new movie and they wanted people to read it and create buzz for the movie so saying that I don't think that it is a mistake to compare the film to the novelization ...- it's a mistake that Disney execs or whoever decided to create the junior novel and sell it before the movie came- they should have expected that people who read the book before seeing the movie would compare the two because it happens all the time and it's perfectly acceptable. I really think they should have never released the novel before the movie came out because it does create expectations for the film. I wouldn't care as much if one of the main reasons behind this new film wasn't the fact that they wanted to introduce a new generation to the Muppets-when you leave out important parts of the backstory that shows potentially new fans why the Muppets are who they are, that's a huge mistake that does injustice to old and new fans alike. If they didn't want people to compare the film to the book, the book should not have released before the movie or not created at all, it's as simple as that. It was a strategy to gain revenue and create buzz for the movie and for the most part I definitely think it backfired.

First of all, thank you so much for your work on this movie. Secondly, although I can see where you are coming from, I have to respectfully disagree about some of your comments- I definitely think that Tex's backstory should have been fleshed out a tiny bit more- the whole maniacal laugh thing is totally creepy and out of place without the context. It's not random funny as the muppets are random and funny, it was just weird and really out of place without the context.

On Kermit and Piggy's relationship- I think that people should have gotten at least some back-story about the relationship because it shouldn't be treated as the stereotypical romantic comedy back and forth thing- sure the ripped photo says a lot, but it also doesn't say a lot either and I think one of the main ways that people can learn about the characters is getting a little of that backstory-Kermit and Piggy were always complex characters even though recent projects did not treat them as such, and to really learn about the characters new fans should get at least some of that. I think putting more of their backstory in would have added a lot of value to the movie- I think it's one thing that they really shouldn't have glossed over like they did.

Whoever from the muppets team who told Jason that Kermit is never mean is totally and utterly wrong! One of the great things about Kermit and the Muppets is that they are multi-dimensional characters and are very human because they are not perfect. Kermit is a great leader but not perfect- he gets mad and says stuff he regrets like all of us do, which is one of the reasons why people love him so much- everyone can relate to him and he can bring the best out of himself and everyone because despite his flaws he is a wonderful character.Kermit is a meanie sometimes and I think that's great because it adds so much to his character.

Ok- the lawyer in me is happy because I defended my viewpoints- Now everyone see the movie or see it again. Also, we need to be vigilant in asking for an awesome director's cut fully extended DVD release for The Muppets so we can see all the wonderful stuff that was shot that unfortunately got let out
Wow! you put alot of thought into that. Nicely put.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I just saw it again - small crowd, less than 15 - and I have to say, I loved it more the second time. My face hurts from smiling, my stomach hurts from laughing, and my eyes are still stinging a bit.

I still have some minor irritants (I still don't think Kermit is 100% back to his old self, but I can excuse that for the sake of the story). Overall, the film is shaping up to be the forth out of the seven theatrical Muppet films, for me at least. I hope it is a smash, so we can see more amazing Muppet stuff!

12Medbe

Reaction score
I still have nothing but praise for the movie, lol. It's wonderful.