Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

zoebell

Reaction score
well, if you add up all the stuff in the show, movies, and specials, kermit and piggy did sing together quite a few times. they had a number of duets on the show, then GMC, MTM, Muppet Family Christmas, MCC, and MTI. and they performed the GMC duet at the oscars in 1982, which was SO cute.

so i think they were kind of associated with singing together/ being paired up on stage

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that Gonzo's tongue has come off and looks as it's trying to escape his mouth just before Fozzie presses the "Travel by Map" button?:stick_out_tongue:

Nasubionna

Reaction score
...I'd think the fans would just as likely ....expect to see Pigs in Space and Vets Hospital (okay, so maybe those WERE in the telethon and they just didn't show them in the movie... Not counting the opening, we only saw six acts).
Well, we can assume at least that there was a Pigs in Space in the telethon (though it didn't make it into the movie), because we see Link & Strangepork at rehearsal wearing their Swinetrek uniforms. Oh, how I wish there was a new Pigs in Space filmed.... *sigh*

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
The Good Morning America skit was funny. I don't know if I'd classify it as "dirty" but it was suggestive. Piggy tells Kermit that he left his socks over at her place. "Putting your shoes under somebody's bed" is a emphemism for sleeping with them (which is also a emphemism, but I'll stop there), so I suppose leaving your socks sort of has the same implication. In case there was any doubt, Piggy said (and I'm paraphrasing) that frogs have incredible stamina, "I mean, like, lay in supplies for the weekend" and Kermit just sat there looking smug and basking it in, although he did act a little blush-y and embarrassed because "frogs don't usually talk about that stuff."

You have to just think about what it was like for Jim and Frank--on live television--to start one-upping each other with this conversation with NO IDEA where it was going to land, but the point is that Jim and Frank felt that they could speak for their characters off-script--and did! And they acted out of the relationship that they both believed existed for their two characters. Don't misunderstand--Jim and Frank were both fully aware that they were making up reality as they went, but they were doing so within the parameters of the relationship as they understood it. And in that moment, Kermit and Piggy and their life togeter was as real as any other talk show guest's would be if he or she was talking about their life/relationship.

I know that in fandoms there are always folks who want to pair people up with people that they aren't with in the fandom story, but talking about the Kermit/Piggy relationship is not that at all. It was real. I saw it. I grew up with it. (And loved it.) With the premiere of "The Muppets," it looks like it's real again, and notice this: Everything they show in the movie and everything they tell in the book go along with the facts that Piggy and Kermit were in love and had dated for years before they parted company (if you accept the new movie as canon--which there IS none, but still). In Paris, Kermit doesn't say, "Piggy, I've always liked you but I've never had those feelings about you." I did rather like how they said it in the book, once I steeled myself to read it.

Kermit is in his office looking at the Miss Piggy half of the wedding photograph. He has just been to her office to look for her but she is not there, so he rummages (snoops) a little in her desk and finds that Piggy has kept half of their movie wedding photo after all--the half with him in it--so he goes back to his office to look for his half. This is where Piggy finds him, and surprises him.

"You saved it? All this time?"
"Piggy?" Kermit looked up, startled.
Piggy says "Oh, Kermie," and holds up her half of the photo alongside his.
"It's always been you, Piggy, always," Kermit admitted.
"I know, Kermie," Miss Piggy said. "And you to me. Always."

We didn't quite get that in the movie, but close to it--the same meaning. In the movie, Kermit admits he's not good at saying these things. He never says he's not good at feeling them. And Piggy--who does love him, and always has--meets him over the halfway mark because, as she has observed in the past, she's a "one-frog pig."

Yeah. You go, girl!
I know this was answered a few months ago but I agree with everything you said here. And I don't know if you've seen any recent interviews with Kermit but he has infact admitted they're together. He still says their not married but doesn't deny their a couple. Which is probably and correct me if I'm wrong the most I've seen him acknowledge his relationship with Piggy.

zoebell

Reaction score
i think so too. since the movie came out he's been freely admitting they are a couple and saying they've been together for 30 years, etc. i wonder if steve decided ahead of time that since they have such a clear reunion IN the movie that it's time to just have kermit come out and say it now

although, i guess he hasn't really denied it so much for the past few years really. it seems to me that ever since eric took over piggy and started taking her out on press tours (about 2005-06, maybe?) they've been building the kermit/piggy dynamic back up to the point where they're appearing together a lot again (much more than steve and frank did). and i think steve said himself that he felt eric really gelled as piggy in 2008, during the letters to santa tour.

so my guess is they feel they have a strong enough rapport now to have kermit and piggy be that full-fledged but bickering couple that they used to be in the years after MTM, but before jim died. because that's where kermit had evolved to at that point as well. even in jim's last appearance on arsenio hall, kermit is openly saying he and piggy are a couple. but then when steve took over, it was kind of like kermit hit a reset, and obviously steve and frank ever had quite the same kind of dynamic that jim and frank did

but now i think steve and eric are much, much better and that's why kermit and piggy are better. people always love prying them about the relationship, so this slightly newer attitude of kermit's will probably lead to more creative answers about it, finally

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
i think so too. since the movie came out he's been freely admitting they are a couple and saying they've been together for 30 years, etc. i wonder if steve decided ahead of time that since they have such a clear reunion IN the movie that it's time to just have kermit come out and say it now

although, i guess he hasn't really denied it so much for the past few years really. it seems to me that ever since eric took over piggy and started taking her out on press tours (about 2005-06, maybe?) they've been building the kermit/piggy dynamic back up to the point where they're appearing together a lot again (much more than steve and frank did). and i think steve said himself that he felt eric really gelled as piggy in 2008, during the letters to santa tour.

so my guess is they feel they have a strong enough rapport now to have kermit and piggy be that full-fledged but bickering couple that they used to be in the years after MTM, but before jim died. because that's where kermit had evolved to at that point as well. even in jim's last appearance on arsenio hall, kermit is openly saying he and piggy are a couple. but then when steve took over, it was kind of like kermit hit a reset, and obviously steve and frank ever had quite the same kind of dynamic that jim and frank did

but now i think steve and eric are much, much better and that's why kermit and piggy are better, and kermit and fozzie as well
I agree with that as well. Plus I found in a lot of interviews Kermit would contradict what he'd say about their relationship. For example don't know if you saw when they were on The Morning Show back in 2008 promoting "Letters to Santa" and that was the first time Kermit admitted that him and Miss Piggy kissed once in public which was obviously acknowledging they're infact together but then when you saw him in other interviews after that he said "they were just friends, their relationship was professional, etc.' I believe even a few months before The Muppets (2011) came out he was still going back and fourth with it. But that also could've been to prevent spoilers in the movie. *shrugs* But NOW since AFTER the movie I've seen he's much more consistant. Saying "they're in fact together but not married." Which hey after 35 years I'll take it! LOL!

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, and actually that's a good example of where his new attitude can lead to more creativity in the answers, finally. it fits with steve's whole thing about them not getting stale and continuing to grow as characters, at least a little bit. plus, with them at the oscars and everybody talking about them as a "hollywood couple" in their publicity lately, that seems to be the approach that's taking hold now. and i love it! i think it's great, it's actually a bit different, but definitely what people want from them (aside from getting married of course, which i'm almost sure will never happen, lol)

and i think it has a lot to do with their reunion in the movie affecting how people view them in their "real life"

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
yeah, and actually that's a good example of where his new attitude can lead to more creativity in the answers, finally. it fits with steve's whole thing about them not getting stale and continuing to grow as characters, at least a little bit. plus, with them at the oscars and everybody talking about them as a "hollywood couple" in their publicity lately, that seems to be the approach that's taking hold now. and i love it! i think it's great, it's actually a bit different, but definitely what people want from them (aside from getting married of course, which i'm almost sure will never happen, lol)

and i think it has a lot to do with their reunion in the movie affecting how people view them in their "real life"
You never know!!! I think we've all known their a couple. We just wanna hear a definite answer from Kermit. Lol! Which in my honest opinion in the last few interviews we have definitely been getting that. Will see what happens when they do the sequel! Which I am so excited their doing! Although bringing The Muppet Show back on TV would be even better. XPPPP

zoebell

Reaction score
i totally agree! that's why i wanted them to remain themselves in the sequel, rather than having them be playing parts where they don't know each other (like in muppet caper) or an adaptation

luckily, i read an interview with nick stoller where he said the exact same thing, that he personally prefers it when they are themselves. so i'm betting we can count on that to happen again

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I know!!! I am stoked!!! The sad part is is it probably won't be out till 2013! But in the mean time I have been counting down in agony to March 20th! Which is when it'll be out Blueray/DVD!!!! As soon as next Tues comes I am out to the video store! LOL!