Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Scooters Jacket

Reaction score
I could see a season 6 working in the same vein as the pevious 5, but longer (an hour minus adverts) and with meatier side plots. There'd be no shortage of guest stars. What The Muppets showed me is that actually I'd happily sit through a movie version of The Muppet show with multiple A-list guest stars and some backstage fun. For me the movie went to another level once the telethon started and the random Muppet acts were amongst the highlights of the film.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Given the current TV landscape, I think the TMS format would work better with some specials rather than a TV series, so long as they try something a little different.

Scooters Jacket

Reaction score
I think the thing for me is to get the Muppets back doing what they do best which is putting on a show. People remember the Muppet Show as much as they remember the Muppets themselves. TV movies and specials like LTS are fine for what they are, but for me it's all about being in the theater and performing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt a season 6 of the Muppet Show...it would definitely have to be something more than that...although it would be cool. I'm sure Jason is always on the lookout for new Muppet ideas...though some of his roles are kind of racy...wish he would be careful about doing those then doing the Muppets...just a personal thing for me. Nothing against him or his acting. Love he's one of us.
He really kept the raciness out of the movie. I think he understands the difference between what kids watch and what adults watch. Robin Williams is basically the same way. No kid's going to be clamoring to see Birdcage after seeing Aladdin, unless they become a huge Robin fan like I did. I'd love to see him as a guest on a new Muppet Show, just not in every episode... after all, he's still got that great sitcom on television.

I could see a season 6 working in the same vein as the pevious 5, but longer (an hour minus adverts) and with meatier side plots. There'd be no shortage of guest stars. What The Muppets showed me is that actually I'd happily sit through a movie version of The Muppet show with multiple A-list guest stars and some backstage fun. For me the movie went to another level once the telethon started and the random Muppet acts were amongst the highlights of the film.
I wonder how another series exactly like The Muppet Show would do, actually. Personally, I want something part TMS, part JHH, part the good parts of MT. Well done one shot pop culture parodies (come on... try and tell me Seinfeld Babies wasn't epic. You don't even have to like the Muppets to like that one), classic stand by special features like the Chef (a given), Muppet Labs (also a given) and Pigs in Space.

As far as a Muppet Show style movie... I've been pondering how a Muppet sketch movie would work. I mean, we all remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and to some extent Life of Brian... but only the die hards remember Meaning of Life... while the other two movies have a touch of sketch comedy styling to them, they're more like little vignettes that tie into the main plot. MOL is more of little vignettes that only are connected by a similar theme. Some barely, like the financial pirates. I don't really count "And Now for Something Completely Different" as that was more of an attempt to promote the comedy team internationally to sell the TV show.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
He really kept the raciness out of the movie. I think he understands the difference between what kids watch and what adults watch. Robin Williams is basically the same way. No kid's going to be clamoring to see Birdcage after seeing Aladdin, unless they become a huge Robin fan like I did. I'd love to see him as a guest on a new Muppet Show, just not in every episode... after all, he's still got that great sitcom on television.

I wonder how another series exactly like The Muppet Show would do, actually. Personally, I want something part TMS, part JHH, part the good parts of MT. Well done one shot pop culture parodies (come on... try and tell me Seinfeld Babies wasn't epic. You don't even have to like the Muppets to like that one), classic stand by special features like the Chef (a given), Muppet Labs (also a given) and Pigs in Space.

As far as a Muppet Show style movie... I've been pondering how a Muppet sketch movie would work. I mean, we all remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and to some extent Life of Brian... but only the die hards remember Meaning of Life... while the other two movies have a touch of sketch comedy styling to them, they're more like little vignettes that tie into the main plot. MOL is more of little vignettes that only are connected by a similar theme. Some barely, like the financial pirates. I don't really count "And Now for Something Completely Different" as that was more of an attempt to promote the comedy team internationally to sell the TV show.
Yeah i think citing Jason Segel's previous work as an issue when working with the Muppets is a completely :stick_out_tongue: silly complaint that doesn't bear in mind any sense of history.

The Muppets aren't Beaver Cleaver goody-goods. They're for everybody and have included performers like Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osborne, Prince, Richard Pryor, Tim Curry, John Cleese and others who've had a wealth of mature content (language, sexuality, controversy) on their resumes before working with the Muppets. Not to mention some of the Sesame Street contributors. Many of them have even appeared nude on film for various rolls.

When they mention a sequel, it doesn't have to be helmed by Segel. In fact, I hope they broaden their scope and begin working with even more people. I'm sure Segel would always make himself available for any appearances if asked. Maybe even if not asked. Hahaha! He is one of us after all.

I kind of like the idea of trying to bring in Frank Oz to direct the next project. Aside from his brief and ill-advised statement, the stage is really set for Muppet opportunities. There would be fewer struggles now.

I like the idea they had to create seasonal specials like they do with Charlie Brown. I think they should do Valentine's, Halloween, Thanksgiving etc. I'd welcome full specials, but 30 minutes to an hour would do the trick. Just enough to leave people wanting more, to release on DVD and itunes and to rerun every year on ABC. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet. It's a no-brainer that really wouldn't cost that much considering the annual revenue from seasonal ad sales.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, i agree. they should do holiday specials, that's a great idea!

actually, they play those holiday specials from the 60's on tv every single year, and people always watch them- i think they would TOTALLY watch a muppets Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's special, etc.

i don't know if anyone remembers, but letters to santa when it first premiered actually did pretty well in the ratings. i think now, with the muppets being back in the spotlight, any tv special they did, esp if it was holiday themed, would probably do really well. and then it could become a staple

i think the fact that people STILL watch those peanuts and rudolph ones every year tells you that there's a market for that kind of thing, if it's good

Scooters Jacket

Reaction score
I don't necessarily see a whole Muppet Show movie being sketch based as there would be a backstage story thread running through and not all the performances would be seen (just like the show).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like the idea they had to create seasonal specials like they do with Charlie Brown. I think they should do Valentine's, Halloween, Thanksgiving etc. I'd welcome full specials, but 30 minutes to an hour would do the trick. Just enough to leave people wanting more, to release on DVD and itunes and to rerun every year on ABC. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet. It's a no-brainer that really wouldn't cost that much considering the annual revenue from seasonal ad sales.
It really is a shame television has the outright refusal to do just whenever specials. Not Holiday minded ones, but rather those strange specials they used to air just whenever... like Garfield's 9 Lives, or those Dr. Seuss ones. I think that would work even better for the Muppets than having them do a Holiday specific one. I mean, Frog knows how many Christmas specials they've done. Even though Sex and Violence was a pilot, it was treated as a special. A TV show would be an iffy thing to get the logistics out of. I think they can do it in time, and if they stop treating The Disney Channel as the 12 year old screeching girls network, there's a nice place for that there... people are actually calling for it. But I'd hate to see them go to all that trouble and not find a good place on the schedule for it on network prime time television.

conniepei

Reaction score
They brought us a lot of joy.I saw it at midnight last night! It was so much fun and I loved seeing the Muppets on the big screen again! They did such a good job with the movie, I was really impressed.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I thought about: When it's time for Kermit and Miss Piggy to rehearse, Kermit tells Piggy that the audience expects them to do a song together. Would all fans expect them to sing together whenever the Muppets do something? Because GMC and MTI are really the only ones where they sang duets together (wait, forgot about the closing song in MTM). I'd think the fans would just as likely expect Kermit and Fozzie to do an act together, or expect to see Pigs in Space and Vets Hospital (okay, so maybe those WERE in the telethon and they just didn't show them in the movie... Not counting the opening, we only saw six acts).