Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Ha ha ha! Well, just tell them that I makes the room look bigger! Lol. Cool that so many fans are getting to take this stuff home, instead of it ending up in a landfill. Seagulls don't tend to appreciate the Muppets very much. :/

Beauregard

Reaction score
Uch...Went to see The Muppets again yesterday on opening day here in England. Fair enough I went to one of the later screenings, but there was just me and my friend and about 9 other people in the whole screening. Again, to be fair, this is a cinema where I have never once seen more than about 20 people per screening, but it was a little disheartening.

It was also very interesting to be watching the movie with a complete cynic...gave the viewing a new edge, in that I found myself wishing the inspirational speeches would move forward a little faster to get to more Fun. (Then again, I still believe that everything in this movie was necessary to get us to a point where we believed in that amazing recreation of TMS at the end.)

hoopless

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing the film for the 3rd time and am allowing myself back on the forum because there are now no spoilers to be tempted by. This screening was about 3/4 full, parents and children laughing together and separately, one little girl particularly amused by Walter's whistling of all things.

I'll say now that I've not gone through this whole forum yet, so if i repeat what someone else has said forgive me.

I do love it, although it sags a bit in the middle around Me Party and Tex's rap. I only have a couple of real problems with it:
when Piggy is talking to Kermit after kidnapping Jack Black, the way she keeps saying "the guys" seems pretty unlike anything she'd say. My other problem is around the Kidnap scene, with Swedish Chef. The kick looks very CGI and he also looks really small in comparison with that white picket fence. Just looks wrong to me.

Love Walter, but can't see what role he can play for them outside of this movie in the future, guess I'll have to wait and see on that one.

My favourite things are seeing that with the right writers, celebrities and musical direction, they could start making The Muppet Show again and it would work perfectly for the modern audience without trying to be modern. The new songs are great (didn't like Me Party the first time, but its grown on me the last couple of times) and Life's A Happy song stays in my head on loop. And ultimately it's funny and charming. A perfect reintroduction of all the characters we've loved forever to the rest of society.

One big plot issue I've just thought of though: the standard rich and famous contract didn't give them ownership of the theatre. J P Grosse owned it, not The Muppets. but that's just me being pernickety, its just an approximation of a story I'm sure.

hoopless

Reaction score
Just remembered something else. Can anyone explain to me what's funny about the portrait of Miss Piggy being covered up during "Pictures In My Head"? The last 2 times I've seen it, a couple of people in the screening have laughed. My guess is that they're simpletons laughing because they can't articulate their emotions properly, but I would welcome an alternative take on it.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I have to say I went to a screening on Friday night and, although I'd seen the movie previously, I had goosebumps all the way through!! What has been achieved with this film is really, really amazing to me. Over recent years (and on the back of some simply terrible productions) I have wondered if the Muppets had a place in the modern world, or was it simply my own nostalgia that held them in such high regard. I think this new movie answers that question with a resounding "yes!!!". It's seems everyone has got it. It really would have been such an easy option for Disney to do a "Smurf's" and CGI the heck out of the Muppets, catering to what hollywood perceives as the must use tool these days, but Disney has showed faith and the global critical praise heaped on this film shows that there is a place, and a huge desire for the Muppets, in their original form, in this world and I simply cannot wait for the announcement of how they intend to follow this up, be it with a TV series or another theatrical outing!! There is nothing I disliked about the movie. Sure, Fozzie sounded off (which was a tad strange considering Eric's usually pretty bang on with him) and I'm finding myself struggling to warm to his new look, but I actually loved Tex's rap - the absurdity and total irreverence was, in this fan's opinion, 100% Muppets!

So, to sum up, and to answer this thread's question, I thought the movie was simply brilliant!!!

SeanC

Reaction score
I've been avoiding this forum for the past couple of months as I didn't want to hear any spoilers, but now that I've finally seen the movie I can at last chime in with my opinion.
In a word - fantastic.
I went to an early afternoon showing on Friday. Not many kids, as it was a schoolday, just a few toddlers with their parents. The majority of the audience seemed to be made up of 30somethings like myself, although there were two women sitting in front of me who appeared to be in their 60s. I liked seeing such a diverse age spread at the movie - really demonstrated that The Muppets are universal.
I enjoyed every minute of it, especially seeing some old favourites like Thog, The Beautiful Day Monster and Droop. Thog in particular looked wonderful on the big screen - very soft and fluffy like he'd just been blowdried! I'm a bit sad he didn't get any lines, though - you can see him mouthing one of the songs but can't hear him, alas.
Sam seemed a bit underused, too. Was kind of hoping he'd get a speech or standout moment, but it never happened. I guess there's too many Muppets and only 90 odd minutes to fill. Next time.
Overall, though - a great film and I came out of the theater with a wide grin on my face. I'm sure I missed a lot of background Muppets so I can't wait for the DVD when I can get all geeky and start freeze framing crowd scenes to see who I can find!
9/10 from me.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Uch...Went to see The Muppets again yesterday on opening day here in England. Fair enough I went to one of the later screenings, but there was just me and my friend and about 9 other people in the whole screening. Again, to be fair, this is a cinema where I have never once seen more than about 20 people per screening, but it was a little disheartening.

It was also very interesting to be watching the movie with a complete cynic...gave the viewing a new edge, in that I found myself wishing the inspirational speeches would move forward a little faster to get to more Fun. (Then again, I still believe that everything in this movie was necessary to get us to a point where we believed in that amazing recreation of TMS at the end.)
How did you see the movie early?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Sam seemed a bit underused, too. Was kind of hoping he'd get a speech or standout moment, but it never happened. I guess there's too many Muppets and only 90 odd minutes to fill. Next time.
Interestingly, Sam's "Say Yes!" line got a laugh from an otherwise unforgiving theater (said theater also laughed at Miss Piggy's entrance to the Muppet Theater before her fight with Miss Poogy, and at Walter's whistling, but at almost nothing else.)

Mupp

Reaction score
Probably got cut because it had nothing to do with painting a house.

I'm so glad Tim Hill didn't do the sequel he planned, "The Muppets think about going to the Beach, but find out they had more house work to do and postpone that trip until they re-grout the bathroom"
...But not before they take out the garbage.