Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, Amy Mebberson and Roger Langridge are a good combo for the comics, as Roger Langridge prefers to focus on The Muppet Show, and Amy Mebberson is mostly a fan of the stuff Jim Henson did. Makes sense that she would illustrated some Muppet Show comics.

I wonder if "On the Road" was originally meant to be a four-issue comic. At the end of the last "Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson" comic, Kermit says they can only travel to four towns, and we only get to see them in two towns. It would have been funny if this had at least been mentioned in issue #3... Maybe say that the tehater was finished sooner and the other two towns had cancled. Of course there was a minor continuity issue: In Peg-Leg Wilson #4 Beaker isn't on the bus when it leaves, but he's on the bus at the beginning of "On the Road" (I guess after accidently leaving Sweetusm behind on their way to Hollywood and accidently leaving Bunsen and Beaker at the gas station when rescuing Gonzo the Muppets have learned to go back when leaving others behind).

dmoss

Reaction score
FINALLY got the issue as I got off work and I hate to say it but...they don't mention her by her name.
Now, that's strange; maybe they were unable to use her name, but could use her character, since her image is different than it was on the show... :wink:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Now, that's strange; maybe they were unable to use her name, but could use her character, since her image is different than it was on the show... :wink:

Oh don't worry about her old image as it was refrence throughout the issue.:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
I need to sit down one day and write an editorial on Muppet Canon. I never ever ever considered there was any attempt at a canon... as I say, the Stuff in The Muppet Movie contradicts the stuff in the Muppet Show, Muppets Take Manhattan contradicts the stuff in The Muppet Movie, The Muppet Show contradicts the stuff in both, and Muppet Babies doesn't make sense and POW... there the Muppet Babies in Muppet Family Christmas.

There is no Muppet Canon. Fraggle Rock is the only one of the main 3 projects that attempts to have a time line. Even Sesame Street is notorious for mucking up canon. Is Cookie Monster's real name Sid because it was in a song? Is Sesame Beginnings canon? Even though the episode never aired, are Snuffy's parents really divorced? How come the characters never have a consistent bunch of parents, and the books invent them? You could really go crazy trying to figure out what true canon is.
Bro, as someone who has been an ardent Jim Henson/Muppet/Sesame fan for over 30 years...I can tell ya that you are VERY right.

I should back up and say I don't mean "canon" per se...but, Muppet Universe(proper) Let me explain.

It's my belief that the Muppets are simply actors. When you see Kermit, Pepe, Piggy, etc on talk shows notice how they refer to gigs they've done, how theyve acted on Muppet movies and shows. Itd be akin to Jason Alexander going on Jay Leno as "George" talking about playing George on both Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

To put it another way: Muppet Show, Muppet Movie, specials, etc...these are just paying gigs for Kermit. Kermit and each and every one of our beloved foamy pals are merely actors. There is no canon. Even Fragglerock...Uncle Matt was on the Today Show, in the film Muppets Take Manhattan. Fraggles are seen in specials even after the show ended.
Why is it Gonzo can appear with Elmo and Rosita at a benefit?

So you are 100% right. There is no "canon" or set storyline per se. There are performers we love slipping into a character, and breathing life vicariously into a furry foam creature that is an actor amidst a tableaux of various productions

There ARE themes, somewhat set story arcs, gags, etc that do carry on. Such as Kermit/Piggy's on again off again relationship. Gonzo's identity crisis. The Fozzie/Statler-Waldorf dynamic. Pepe and Animal on their endless hunt for women. And so forth. I myself do not buy that Gonzo is an alien, but he "was" an alien in Muppets From Space.

I mean shoot, according to Sesame Street, some of the Muppet monster parents go to kill, die, and get wounded from America's wars. I myself will never accept or buy this. And again, to me ALL characters on Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street are actors. Just like Baby Herman and Roger Rabbit doing their thing while the cameras are rolling, but also existing outside of the show. I myself have "talked" with various Muppets w/ their performers in real life, and its fascinating to see that unscripted dynamic.

I cannot explain Muppet Babies puppet scenes in Muppet Family Christmas. Its explainable in MTM, as that was simply Piggy's fanciful wish. I dont consider the cartoon even close to storyline/canon. With MFC, maybe its good they edited it out...as it just doesnt make sense:smile: (I dont think the Muppets knew eachother in some convenient nursery) It also begs the question: can puppets of baby Muppets exist in the same scene as their grownup counterpart?

beaker

Reaction score
C2E2 variant cover
Got the okay to unveil it last night.

Chicago natives will hopefully enjoy the in-jokes, but it's still historic because it's Skeeter's first cover.

Haha, that's simply magical :big_grin:

Yes. To some degree the only cannon that exists is that there are a group of Muppets that exist, and formed a comedy troupe to make a tv series and to make movies and spin-off shows -- much like the makers of Monty Python. Somewhere, somehow these Muppets really exist and they get together to make these shows and movies and to write these comics and books and things. But as for the content of them...that's all approximate.

Yep, pretty much. (Notice when Kermit when interviewed simply considers the tv shows and movies as an acting job)

FINALLY got the issue as I got off work and I hate to say it but...they don't mention her by her name.

However, there were several Muppet Babies eggs that you had to see to believe.:wink:

All and all great work as Skeeter was just as I remembered her...eagared, Athletic, and could get on Piggy's nerves. :mad:

Thank you so much Amy and Roger and the rest of the Muppet show crew.
Quick question: Given Pepe isnt in this series, does this take place in the 1970's? Allusions to modern stuff would point to a definitive no...but why no Pepe? He's one of the main 5 now.

Anyways, cant wait to pick this up later today^__^;;

Drtooth

Reaction score
Quick question: Given Pepe isnt in this series, does this take place in the 1970's? Allusions to modern stuff would point to a definitive no...but why no Pepe? He's one of the main 5 now.
I have a theory that Roger isn't all that familiar with post Jim era characters and projects. I remember reading somewhere where he didn't see Muppets From Space, and therefore didn't know that Gonzo was considered an alien. And while I really would like to see Pepe and Johnny and VanNeuter in the comics, I think it actually makes the 1970's and 80's characters shine. I'm just glad they're part of the "Fairy Tale" comics.

Amy

Reaction score
I have a theory that Roger isn't all that familiar with post Jim era characters and projects. I remember reading somewhere where he didn't see Muppets From Space, and therefore didn't know that Gonzo was considered an alien. And while I really would like to see Pepe and Johnny and VanNeuter in the comics, I think it actually makes the 1970's and 80's characters shine. I'm just glad they're part of the "Fairy Tale" comics.
'Jim Henson Hour' and 'Muppets Tonight' characters aren't in these comics - it's set in the original 5 seasons Muppet Theatre. So Rizzo makes it in, but no Pepe or Bean or any of those guys, sorry.
It's only in the Muppet Tales that the casting becomes all-inclusive.

I'm with Roger. Jim era for me all the way. I haven't seen Muppets from Space either. I tried Muppet Treasure Island but went RIGHT off it as soon as I heard Kermit's voice. Eeeeee, didn't sound right AT ALL.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And the more I read his stuff the less I actually mind or even care. There's such a great handle on the characters and great balance of chemistry, and I really think any newer characters would feel thrown in. I especially enjoy how much of a role Scooter has in these comics... that's something we haven't seen since the show ended. I doubt we'd have that if Pepe and VanNeuter were tossed into there.

beaker

Reaction score
'Jim Henson Hour' and 'Muppets Tonight' characters aren't in these comics - it's set in the original 5 seasons Muppet Theatre. So Rizzo makes it in, but no Pepe or Bean or any of those guys, sorry.
It's only in the Muppet Tales that the casting becomes all-inclusive.

I'm with Roger. Jim era for me all the way. I haven't seen Muppets from Space either. I tried Muppet Treasure Island but went RIGHT off it as soon as I heard Kermit's voice. Eeeeee, didn't sound right AT ALL.
It's definitely(IMHO)the Muppet Movie and that that captures the very heart, magic and soul of Jim Henson's shining moment with the Muppets.

Though...for some reason I have this love affair with 1986-1989(and early 1990) era Muppets...particularly Jim Henson Hour, Muppet Family Christmas, Muppets @ Walt Disney World, etc. Even 1996/1997's Muppets Tonight I like.

But it's the modern Muppets.com/Muppets Youtube period that I feel is the best material and feel in 20 years.

Suffice to say, I can't wait to see Pepe, Big Mean Carl, Sal Monkey and the newer generation seep their way into comic form in time:smile: