Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. As an artist who doesn't always draw "on model" myself, I enjoy seeing other artists' stylistic interpretations of our beloved Muppets.
Listen...

I will always hold Jason Segal and the rest of the movie staff in the highest reguard of bringing the classic Muppets back. But Roger Langridge brought the soul of the original Muppet Show back... something no one else did, reguardless of the format. Heck, I'd say he even improved upon the source material (especially creating new segments that would fit the Muppet Show perfectly, once replacing Pigs in Space with Link Hoghtrob: Monster Smasher). He completely disappears into the source material, both here and the wonderful IDW Popeye series. There were about 2 or 3 of the Fairy Tale based Muppet comics that were really great, but even then, I don't think they were as well done as the Muppet Show main comic (Snow White was really close... it's the best of that bunch). And I admire his stylization of the characters. I wish that they'd put them on a T-shirt, instead of the same dead eyed stock art style guide stuff.

Nasubionna

Reaction score
Listen...

I will always hold Jason Segal and the rest of the movie staff in the highest reguard of bringing the classic Muppets back. But Roger Langridge brought the soul of the original Muppet Show back... something no one else did, reguardless of the format. Heck, I'd say he even improved upon the source material (especially creating new segments that would fit the Muppet Show perfectly, once replacing Pigs in Space with Link Hoghtrob: Monster Smasher). He completely disappears into the source material, both here and the wonderful IDW Popeye series. There were about 2 or 3 of the Fairy Tale based Muppet comics that were really great, but even then, I don't think they were as well done as the Muppet Show main comic (Snow White was really close... it's the best of that bunch). And I admire his stylization of the characters. I wish that they'd put them on a T-shirt, instead of the same dead eyed stock art style guide stuff.
Yes, I said I agree with you. Or am I misunderstanding why you're quoting me? :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, I said I agree with you.
Just adding to the conversation... that's why I was quoting. Sorry if it was a misconception.

These comics are the greatest thing to happen to the Muppets before the film and virals happened. I wish we could get Roger to write some scripts for a TV special or something... that's how good he is. I'm so glad Disney has the vision to release the rest of these.

Nasubionna

Reaction score
Ah, sorry Drtooth, misunderstood you!
Yes, Roger's Muppet writing was superb (I am also a giant fan of Link Hogthrob: Monster Smasher) and I would squeal with glee if he could be convinced to write (or at least contribute to) more Muppet scripts. But at any rate, also super happy the remainder of his work is being released. I honestly NEVER thought that would happen!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Roger has become one of my favorite comic book author/artists in such a short amount of time, and I thank his work on The Muppet Show Comic Book for giving me exposure to that. I've thumbed through a copy of "The Show Must Go On" at a bookstore, and that's some great indie comic stuff right there. And I highly recommend Snarked and Popeye. Those are just brilliant. Roger took what made Popeye great to begin with (before the repetitive "eat spinach, punch out Bluto" cartoons people are familiar with) and went from there. Thimble Theater stuff. Of course, after reading Snarked, I had no doubt he could channel that world.