Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 34

CookieFan

Reaction score
I thought the reduced funding was due to cuts in government support and smaller patron donations? Doesn't PBS order the number of episodes based on how much money it has? I don't think Sesame Workshop has any control on how many episodes PBS can afford.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, PBS makes the decision on how many episodes they want to purchase each year.

ssetta

Reaction score
I know, but PBS has a lot more kids programs now. Back in the old days when they did 130 shows a season, if you remember, and it was a lot better, there wasn't that much on PBS Kids. So that's why PBS has to cut back on Sesame Street. I know, it's sad.

Hays

Reaction score
This issue came up at the Carol Spinney booksigning today - apparently they're getting a lot of complaints about the repeats. I called out "send money to PBS!," and he pointed out that Sesame Street gets very little of its funding from PBS; he said their main source of public support is from the purchase of Sesame Street logo items (10 percent of your purchase) He said they recently spent millions buying the rights to those.

Does anybody know if there's somewhere we can send money directly? Heck, I'd pay to have 130 episodes again!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Baby Bear is a boy bear, fright? The reason I ask is cause I think they confused his gender in the segment featuring the story of The Little Merbear in an episode from Season 34. The character played by Baby Bear says that a merbear is part bear, which we can clearly notice by Baby Bear's voice, but then he says that a merbear is also part mermaid. Correct me if I'm wrong, but mermaids are part fish and part woman or female humans. At best, it would be part merman, who are half fish and half men or male humans. Anyone catch this little faupax or verbal diarreah?

CookieFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
This issue came up at the Carol Spinney booksigning today - apparently they're getting a lot of complaints about the repeats. I called out "send money to PBS!," and he pointed out that Sesame Street gets very little of its funding from PBS; he said their main source of public support is from the purchase of Sesame Street logo items (10 percent of your purchase) He said they recently spent millions buying the rights to those.

Does anybody know if there's somewhere we can send money directly? Heck, I'd pay to have 130 episodes again!
Lordy knows we've got enough SS merch in this house to pay for a few episodes! (The electronic bongos are pretty cool)

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays

If they made more that I liked, I'd buy more! Where, oh where has the Sesame Street Store gone? I miss it. I want it back. They should at least have an online SS store, sort of like Amazon.com....

Erine81981

Reaction score
I agree with u Jennifer12. I wish they would make an SS online store or bring back the old one. I never got to shop there. I live in Sweetwater Texas. So would I liked them though? I love SS. I love SS stuff. Have alot of old books toys Movies and Games.

CookieFan

Reaction score
I can't believe we've gone through a whole season's worth of episodes in a little over a month! :boo: :boo:

Hays

Reaction score
I don't think ANYBODY is happy about that including Sesame Street. Maybe we should start up a foundation on our own...

Though I don't understand...isn't a fully live production cheaper than animation? Why is it that PBS has filled itself with low-quality animated shows if good-quality live shows like SS are cheaper? I don't get it.

They've also gotten rid of a lot of live shows for older kids - Bill Nye, etc. and replaced them with animation...

Even though I am firmly in the puppet camp, I like GOOD animation, and good cartoons for kids; just not this over-simplified drivel that PBS is pushing.