Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 34

CookieFan

Reaction score
You'd think SS would be a lot cheaper to produce than other shows. For one thing, a large portion of their show is made up from "re-purposed" material (old clips), so it's really just 15 minutes to put the "Street" segments together and getting all the clips together that match the theme.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I don't know, but I think it has to do with too much change to the show for kids to follow. Does anyone klnow why the Fix-it-shop was changed to the mail it shop? Why that empty lot all of a sudden became an animal hospital? I mean there have been a lot of radical changes lately. I remeber when going around the corner was a big deal, now they've rebuilt the entire street. Is it possible that too much change to the formatt and set confused kids that were watching thus making ratings dip?

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
I don't think ANYBODY is happy about that including Sesame Street. Maybe we should start up a foundation on our own...

Excellent idea! Save Sesame Street! We could have a telethon to raise money!

ssetta

Reaction score
I do agree, pretty much the whole street has been rebuilt. It's just like when an old school that you went to gets renovated, or rebuilt. That's why I think they should have a Classic SS DVD Collection of some sort, or somthing like that, now that Unpaved is leaving.

bats1972

Reaction score
I was definately disappointed that we are through the new season in what, twenty-one episodes.

It just surprised me. I was so looking forward to this new season.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
I agree with sseta, Sesame Street is getting worse and more than likely will be cancelled. My stepbrothers half sister is a school teacher and says it's changed so much that it's only for the inner city and gifted children. There is not enough of the old characters and old stuff mixed in with a little new stuff. When Mister Rogers was cancelled, that was bad, but it was awful the day he died ( I had tears rolling down my face). I also agree with sseta about a Sesame Street DVD library, maybe even on VHS. Then everyone can enjoy there favorite Sesame Street episodes and stuff.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I'll have to disagree with ssetta's opinion on the matter. Sure, we'd all like it if there were more than 26 episodes in the new season, but it seems to me that the quality of those 26 is every bit as good as that of the hundred-some-odd that were produced each year when I was a kid. The newer characters interact well with the older ones, and most are successful enough even on their own terms (I defy anyone to say that Zoe is less interesting than Prairie Dawn).

To me, this "Sesame Street is going downhill and it's all the new characters' fault" stuff is roughly comparable to a "Peanuts" fan, circa 1973, complaining about how Peppermint Patty and Marcie were ruining the strip and how Shermy, Violet, and the other Patty were infinitely more interesting. As far as I know, that didn't happen. (Of course, the fact that Schulz wrote and drew the comic for the entire length of its run didn't hurt). Even Rerun became a good addition one he was given the chance to develop, and the same is true of the Sesame characters.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, the quality actually is better than last season, but not nearly as good as back when they had all the gags, and the crazy stuff for older kids!

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Your right ssetta, the old and new stuff has to be mixed toghther and kids need to have something to laugh at now and then. That funny guy with the blue sweater and blond hair & mustache should be brought back. He was so funny. What about that man that falls asleep in his chair on the song "everybody sleeps" and falls out of the chair and onto the floor. What about all the skits about dental care. This is important, VERY IMPORTANT! My mom was a dental hygentist and I have never had a filling or a tooth extracted except for 4 wisdom teeth. I think too much of the new stuff is for all the inner city kids. There is also too much spanish on the newer episodes. But I like one of the new skits with Grover and the man from the restraunt. One of them is the man is in a department store looking for a suit and Grover is the salesman. When the man tells Grover the suit he wants is the one on the maniqin, Grover tells him that is the only one they have left. Then the man tells him to take it off of the maniqin and Grover replies " We cannot do that, that would be embarassing". After the man yells at Grover and tells him that the maniqin isn't real and doesn't have feelings, Grover puts the man on the floor and strips him to his undershirt and underwear. Then someone in the store yells somebody call the police. That was so funny, that I went down on the floor laughing.

ssetta

Reaction score
I loved that one, too. It was done around Season 25. But I would not be surprised if someone actually called in and complained, because I don't think they kept it on for very long. I'm surprised it even went through.