Your Favorite Cartoons on Sesame Street

Rosewood

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I think there were more, but none come to mind right now. Seems like there were at least a couple with Julius alone. One was something like Julius comes to a hole in the ground and stops and says to the viewer, "I'll bet you thought I was going to walk right in that hole." Then he jumps over the hole -only to fall into another hole that was to the right of it. The other solo Julius one I'm thinking of is him walking into a wall (he may have been avoiding a hole in the ground again and as he walks around it is looking at the viewer instead of where he is going and then bam! Into a wall).
I do remember the one with the holes. But the guy playing Julius called himself "Cristopher Clumsey" for some reason. (probably an earlier version)
There is also another one with a "bigger" Julius (without the hat) where he is trying to tell us about the letter X. He says how "X is a very important letter.
Many words begin with the letter X. Words like...um...um. Well, there are alot of words that end with X! Words like...um...um... (and down in the LH corner of the screen you see the head of a fox pop out and mumble something) He looks down and says "what was that?" the says "Oh yes! Fox - (it runs across the screen) Ox - (it runs OVER him) , Ax, Fix, and, finally, (he places it on the wall) Exit! Good buy! :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
He looks down and says "what was that?" the says "Oh yes! Fox - (it runs across the screen) Ox - (it runs OVER him) , Ax, Fix, and, finally, (he places it on the wall) Exit! Good buy! :smile:
As you were describing this one it wasn't ringing a bell at all. But then when you said the last part, "Exit! Good bye!" it came back to me! Funny how often the most vivid parts I recall are the closings. It's like one Ernie and Bert skit has Ernie saying at the end, "Let's see, a marble is round..." and Bert sighs in frustration. But I couldn't think of which skit that was until Xerus refreshed my memory - it was the episode where Ernie forgets to put the basketball away before he goes to bed.
By the way, another cartoon that had an exit sign that comes to mind is one with a polar bear who keeps saying exit. This one was described last year by Splurge in the "Sesame signs and word skits" thread:

Splurge said:
Heh, I fondly remember that one, as well as the skit done again with the English word "EXIT". One of my favorite "EXIT" demonstrations was a polar bear with a white hat. Everytime he finds an EXIT, a mob of similar bears charge through the other way. As a result, he makes his own by going through the wall, cartoon-style. I think that was done by the Hubleys, and like many Hubley cartoons, there was cool jazz-like music.
Remember that one? It was a little on the psychedelic side. I think it had a pinkish background. I would guess it was from 1969 or 1970. It was one I always liked whenever it came on.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
don't know if I mentioned here or not I also have an SS sign and word thread. but this was also an early 1 the word exit, man says the word and the exit runs out the door.

Rosewood

Reaction score
another Julius cartoon

I remember another cartoon involving the earlier Julius character. It was a cartoon for the letter A. He names a ton of things that start with A, each as they appear, and they quickly form a pile around the giant letter A he is standing in front of. Suddenly, the pile of things starts to fall and they all land on him! The very last A-word he presents is the word "ambulance" as it shows him being carried away in one! :smile:

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Kye said:
I have many favorites, but one of them rarely leaves my head. every time i need to count anything, my mind goes...

12345,678910,11 12 do do da doo doo da doo doo doo da da da doo...TWELVE! It drives me crazy. I think I was brainwashed by it as a small child! probably at a very young age... like 1 or 2345,678910, 11 12...noooo, its happening again!!!!! :crazy:
I don't know about any of you guys, but that number pinball song is very catchy to me! I could dance along with the song if I had it available!

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I have 2 faves

My fIrst fave Is the one where thIs guy Is drIvIng a car whIle a background voIce sIngs about the many thIngs that begIn wIth I. If I remember rIght the man In the background had a slIghtly brItIsh accent. :sing:
I also liked the one where the boy riding the bicycle gets lost and winds up seeing all these crazy things and then meets a man with a yo-yo who turns into all of them and tells him how to find his way back home. "Try to remember everything you passed, but when you go back, make the first thing the last." I still use that method when I'm going anywhere new to remember how to get back to where I started. :sing:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Do I have any callls

Ziffel said:
Oh yeah there's another one I haven't thought of for a long time. And like a lot of sketches, I recall pretty vividly the latter part of it but don't really recall the beginning (that's probably because the closing parts often have the most humor, action, or irony, and are thus more memorable. :smile: ). After that guy talking about impolite says, "Excuse me" to go take care of that rude guy, he comes back and says, "Try not to be impolite. Thank you for your time." That's like that guy on the phone who was demonstrating that hello is a polite way to answer the phone. But then after several wrong numbers in a row he angriliy answers it, "Hello!"
I remember that one, the really funny part was that after all those wrong numbers the last guy to call said "Hello, this is Harold, do I have any calls?" :frown:

Ziffel

Reaction score
There's one from the early 70's I know I saw several times but all I can recall is the ending. There was a cartoon guy I think (unless he was an animal of some sort; but I think it was an adult male [and maybe on the heavy-set and older side] ) and he was walking (or hopping) away to the back of the screen making a noise like, "dee dee, dee dee, dee deedeedeedee dee dee."
It sounded kind of like it could be the Mexican Hat Dance (so maybe he didn't walk or hop away but rather danced away!). I just can't recall what the sketch was about nor what happened prior to that ending. It's not much to go with, but maybe it will be enough to ring someone's bell as to what this is. :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
There's one from the early 70's I know I saw several times but all I can recall is the ending. There was a cartoon guy I think (unless he was an animal of some sort; but I think it was an adult male [and maybe on the heavy-set and older side] ) and he was walking (or hopping) away to the back of the screen making a noise like, "dee dee, dee dee, dee deedeedeedee dee dee."
It sounded kind of like it could be the Mexican Hat Dance (so maybe he didn't walk or hop away but rather danced away!). I just can't recall what the sketch was about nor what happened prior to that ending. It's not much to go with, but maybe it will be enough to ring someone's bell as to what this is. :smile:
Here's what I remember.

It was a stocky cartoon guy wearing a hat and buisness suit. A moth suddenly flew next to him. And a narrator goes, "Once there was one more." And the word MORE appeared. "And one more", and another moth appeared making the guy nervous. Then many MORE moths appeared and started attacking the guy. Then the moths left and the guy appeared in nothing but striped boxers and a chewed up hat and sleeves. And he says, "Now there's less of my... my clothes. And you can see more of me! Dee dee dee deedeedeedeedee!" And he tips his chewed hat and dances away. Probably a really embarrassing moment in his life and was trying to make the best of it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks again Xerus. That is most certainly the one. Boy I totally had lost all memory of the moths. :smile: And I agree, I'm sure his seemingly happiness at the end was supposed to be a cover for his embarrassment. Heh heh.