Where are all these classic Sesame Street episodes coming from?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
So question for everyone.

What are some seasons you hope to see get fully guided in the future?

For me, 16-17. I’m just curious to see when the full version of “Wet Paint” with the SMV intro stopped airing (I can already see it stopped as early as season 18).
There are at least 4 that come to mind.

First Season 6, because for years, the season premiere was the only episode we had access to, and now that Scott has made a few guides from that time, I'm extremely curious and excited to see what else happened then.

Another that I'd like to see fully guided is Season 9. To quote what Kieran Moore pointed out on his Top 10 Songs of SS Season 9 chart on the Muppet Mindset last summer: "Sesame Street Season 9 had a lot going on and could have been a little muddled if not for the talents of the cast, crew and writers of the show. Instead, they masterfully walk the line between going back to basics and presenting new ideas." So, yeah I'd be curious to know everything else that went on during that season. (Though if you get a chance to read that chart, as a spoiler alert: only 2, yes only TWO songs on there are actually from Season 9! He was being a little too dependent on the EKA's. At the end he wound up listing the songs he placed at 11-20...which the majority of actually WERE from Season 9! Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself...)

Lastly...it's a two-way tie between Seasons 14 and 15. There's something rather unique about those 2 seasons (I'm not sure what it is, though) and I definitely would love to see more of them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score

Seasons 2 and 3.

Also season 6. Just last year, when I was looking at how much coverage each season had, I found it interesting that only the premier had a full guide on the wiki. The Toughpigs "50 at 50" article on season six also talks about how rare the season is (in terms of full episodes). Though by now I think Scarecroe has completed a few (in terms of including pictures from every segment).

I had already really wanted guides for every episode of seasons 1 and 11-12, which we have now. Now I'm really desiring guides for every episode of seasons 14-19. It'd be interesting to see if there are any post-season 12 (and with season 13 completed, post-season 13) appearances by Warren Wolf or Countess von Dahling (I doubt Leslie Mostly would have appeared later under a different performer). I think the wiki now notes first appearances for all the Teeny Little Super Guy segments that the wiki already notes (so officially, none aired in season 14; as that page sources that there are 13 but only 8 noted on the wiki, I'm interesting to see if the remaining ones ever did air on the show). I also can't wait for there to be guides for the episode where Uncle Wally tells Big Bird that he believes Mr. Snuffleupagus is real or the one where Oscar meets Snuffy, not to mention the ones where Luis has a broken arm. And to see once and for all if Starship Surprise ever aired.

Something else that has been on my mind is if Kevin Clash did perform Ferlinghetti Donnizetti in season 12. Long ago on the wiki, fans figured Clash did perform him then, as his autobiography talks about him as if he were an original character of his, then we found a pre-season 16 appearance where he was performed by Richard Hunt. But after all those season 12 episodes mysteriously surfaced back in 2014 and I saw that all the other new characters of the season were performed by either Michael Earl, Brian Meehl, Karen Prell, or Kevin Clash, combined with the fact that Jim, Frank, Jerry, and Richard didn't seem to be on the show much that season (especially not in street scenes), I now doubt Richard Hunt did the character in season 12. Hopefully Scarecroe will get one (or all three) of the characters season 12 appearances soon and things will be cleared up. Additionally, I've seen in guides that Poco Loco continued to be on the show for at least another year after Michael Earl departed, it'd be great to know who performed the character in season 13 (I'm guessing either Richard Hunt or Martin Robinson, maybe Brian Meehl).

cjd874

Reaction score

For me, 16-17. I’m just curious to see when the full version of “Wet Paint” with the SMV intro stopped airing (I can already see it stopped as early as season 18).
Seasons 5 and 10, since most of my Old School outlines are based on the SS Classics episodes from those seasons.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I find it interesting that Brian Muehl actually performed Elmo longer than Richard Hunt did.
I mean Brian Meehl could’ve done amazing things with Sesame, however he was unsatisfied with the time in studios. So he became a writer and family man.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's a guy named Travis, and he actually does know where all of these classic episodes are coming from, but unfortunately, that information is classified.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I find it interesting that Brian Muehl actually performed Elmo longer than Richard Hunt did.
I'm not that surprised. It's been widely sourced that Richard Hunt disliked performing Elmo and threw him to another performer. I always suspected it was shortly after he took over the character. The sources say that he took over Elmo after Meehl left (though that could have been an inaccuracy based on the fact that he did leave the show), which was season 15, and we all know Clash did Elmo by the season 17 premier, if not sooner.

Of course Meehl also often says that he only remembers doing the character 5-6 times (or was it 3-4 that he remembers?), he first did Elmo in 1979 and the "early Elmo transisitons" sandbox page notes a lot more street scenes before season 16 (and the page notes Meehl performing Elmo in his last season 15 appearance). Considering Meehl's memory and the fact that Elmo was moved around from performer to performer, I had wondered if Meehl started performing Elmo in season 15 before leaving, being surprised when I learned that Meehl only did Elmo in street scenes while other performers did him in inserts and as a more generic character concurrently with Elmo being a character.

Of course, I have read that Richard Hunt also didn't like performing Forgetful Jones until the OOOO-klahoma sketch in season 20, eight years after he begun the role. It's interesting that he kept at the character despite supposedly not liking him for so long. Maybe Hunt sensed that he could eventually make him enjoyable while thinking otherwise with Elmo.