What sketches scared you as a kid?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: What about these two?

Originally posted by Niall
I mean, what WERE the writers thinking and how did these skits (not "sketch", btw. A sketch is a rough drawing:smile:) ever get the green light anyway?
Ahh, be careful what you say---when I was in a performance troupe, our director got ticked if we referred to our routines as "skits".

Apparently, "skits" are thrown together and are more amateur, whereas "sketches" are more organized, planned out, and handled more "professoinally".

That's what some think, anyway. lol

Splurge

Reaction score
This used to give me the creeps, the one I call "Grover and the Growing G". As weird as it sounds, it didn't creep me out the first number of times I saw it. And once I grew to like it, I looked forward to the possibility of seeing it on an episode where "G" was the sponsor.

One could parallel that to the moral of Dr. Seuss' "What I Was Afraid Of."

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
Re: What about these two?

I mean, what WERE the writers thinking and how did these skits (not "sketch", btw. A sketch is a rough drawing:smile:) ever get the green light anyway?

Niall, I never saw either of those skits/sketches, but they sound exactly like the type of thing that always disturbed yet intrigued me about Sesame! (I love that we all have so many of these. Maybe we can get a group rate on therapy?)

In some interview, Frank Oz once said that Jim loved violence. Watching the older shows that had more of Jim's influence, one can definitely see this being the case. All of the early Kermit Newsflash segments feature something loud, catastrophic disasters! And even later, the poor frog wasn't even safe on his wall just talking to a hand. LOL :big_grin:

However, there were also a few (non-Jim) animated bits that were bizarre - namely, the one where a little toad is berating a cow. "You think you're so big?" The frog keeps puffing itself up with air until it's all pear-shaped and wobbly, saying "Bigger... BIGGER..." And then finally it explodes and the screen goes white! We never see that it's "ok" (in that Bugs Bunny explosions-just-made-their-faces-sooty way), we are to assume that the arrogant little amphibian died. How upsetting! I hated that one but would love to see it again today.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Not SS, but the Skenfrith character from Fraggle Rock who turned into a monster in the basement scared me when I was small! :eek:

- Billy :cool:

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
This is incredibly sad but.......

When the Count finishes counting there is that lightening/thunder bit.

That used to make me cry.

Hey I was 3 years old at the time!!!!

Gonzo

Reaction score
The Count himself used to scare me a bit--I mean, he's purple, has fangs...although his fashion sense is impeccable with the goatee and green cape, he's always accompanied by bats, spiders, thunder and lightning--what's not to be scared of?

The Yip-Yip Martians always unnerved me too--maybe just because I KNEW they were puppets, but couldn't see any logical way for them to be hovering in the air. What if they came hovering into my room, with their tentacles reaching out for my Very Squeezable Neck...

Man, I was a messed up kid.

Quinnnnnnn

(nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn)

sameaglefan

Reaction score
okay, when i was little, the episode when the apartment where ernie and bert and maria and luis and gordon and susan (i think) lived caught fire really scared me a lot.

ever since then, fires of any kind have always made me uneasy, just because of that first image that was well, i guess burned into my brain :smile:.

other than that, i have nothing but fond memories of sesame street, but that was the one thing that freaked me out.

rachel

BlueAM

Reaction score
Unlike most of you guys, I grew up watching Sesame Street in the late 80's and early 90's. Many of the sketches that scared me were "Muppet-only" bits.

Like most of you guys, I was afraid of the Martians, because of the noise they made, the fact that they looked like jellyfish, and the way they moved their mouths. Also, like Ryan, I was always afraid of Humpty Dumpty, because of his voice and his mouth. But these were NOTHING compared to Placido Flamingo. I did'nt like his accent, I thought that the black part on his beak was a MOUSTACHE, and you could look into his mouth when he sang!

Other minor fears include when Cookie Monster imitated Isaac Hayes (I was afraid of his fake beard) and sang a take-off on "Shaft" (called, "Cookie", I believe), and then started eating his gold chains, and then microphones, amplifiers, lights, etc., and the skit when the Count was counting flowers and he explained that he liked counting flowers because they made him sneeze and that he loved to count sneezes (which of course he does). This skit with the Count was SO scary that I never wanted to watch the "Learning About Numbers" video again because that skit was on that particular video.

Now, did the skits I mentioned with Cookie, the Count, and Placido Flamingo scare any of you guys?

BlueAM

"White feathers?"
"Oh, no, sir, that's gobble a duke! Well, they're not white- they're sort of speckly."
"Speckly! Ahhhhh! You shot my Speckled Jim?"

Gonzo

Reaction score
Another one that always scared me was with the scary salesman who would try to sell Ernie stuff...
"PSST! Hey Bud!"
"Who, me?"
"Riiiiiight...."

In fact, he STILL scares me a bit!

Harvey Kneeslapper was a bit unnerving too....

Quinnnnnn