What sketches scared you as a kid?

mikealan

Reaction score
My scariest memories

Hiya fellas. I've remembered SO MANY sketches of Sesame Street and The Muppet Show that scared me the most!

1) MUPPET LABS (PEARL BAILEY)-I first saw it on The Best of The Muppet Show Volume 13. This is the episode where Beaker eats the paper clips. As he eats them, his nose suddenly came loose!

2) PIGS IN SPACE (PEARL BAILEY)-This is the episode where the pigs' heads turn to food. Piggy's head turns into a chocolate layer cake, Link's head turns into a cauliflower and Strangepork's head turns into a scallion. After that the announcer says, "Tune in next time for the next week's episode of PIGS IN TOOOOAAASSSTTT!"

3) BARE-FACED ANYTHING MUPPETS-They'd freak me out as their debut on Sesame Street: Premiere episode. The first Gordon puts their faces on and they sang "Consider Yourself" from Oliver.

4) RED HOT LETTER "I"-The huge steel block scared the heck out of me. Then at the end, the steel block was turned into an "I". Afterwards, the screen freezes to show us the "I" until this segment is over. This played scary-and-trumpet music, too.

5) TRAFFIC LIGHT FILM-I saw that segment on #560. During the early days without traffic light, automobiles crash each other to make an explosion! That scared the heck out of me!

6) THE TYPEWRITER GUY: U-UMBRELLA-It starts to rain, so the noo-nee-noo typewriter opens his umbrella to make himself dry. Then the rain stops, so Typewriter closes his umbrella and gets stuck himself! After a short struggle, he pops out his wheels and rides away going "Noo-nee-noo-nee-noo..."

7) SAM THE ROBOT-I never saw him 14 years ago, but when I saw him for the first time on #536, he says, "Hi, Luis" in Bob's voice as Luis comes out of the Fix-It-Shop. Do you guys agree that Sam has the voice of Bob? I think on Muppet Central radio, Simon the Soundman has the voice of Bob, too. I didn't find out that Jerry Nelson can make voices that sound a lot like Bob!

8) SAY THE WORD-This is the game show hosted by Guy Smiley. The mouth on the game show title scared me so much!! the blue monster and a purple Anything Muppet appear as contestants. During this sketch, the monster saying "STOP!" scared me so much.

9) THIS IS YOUR LUNCH-I ccouldn't recall the title of that sketch. The peanut butter and jelly sandwich puppet is the FREAKIEST, because he has no eyes. The invisible outcome of the skit is that cows enter. This is kind of a game show hosted by Guy Smiley.

10) JAZZY SPIES-these are the counting cartoons from early SS that end with the spies revealing the #'s 1-10. It starts where any sports player or whatever wearing the sponsored number comes toward us, then jazzy music plays, the numbers 1-10 flash in colors, the black fingers counting up to ten and the numbered race cars parts were fine as the Grace Slick-like voice sings, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." Then it changes to anything with the sponsored number (I saw #3, #4, #6, #8, #9 and #10 as a little kid and I saw #2 the most as a teen). Afterwards were numbers 1-10 flash again then to ten freaky-looking spies revealing the #'s 1-10 as the Grace Slick-like voice sings "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-NIIIIIINNNEE-TEEEEEEENNNN!" Then after that the #'s 1-10 start growing all over the TV set!

11) TAKE AWAY SPLASH SHOW-Do you guys remember this freaky skit? It featured a man in a blue suit starting to dive. One of his skits that scared me is where he yells, "GET MORE!" to the plumber, so he can pour the water in the huge cup, so he can dive in it.

12) DADDY DEAR-a surreal and classic letter D animation/song. I didn't recall so much of it as a kid, until when I saw it on Sesame Street Unpaved #536 in the Museum of Television and Radio, dogs dreaming of meat, gophers hiding their candy bars doing dishes in dirty clothes and little dolly go to bed was fine, but ducks wearing ears was pretty strange and the FREAKIEST things I saw are the dandylion with a lion's head and daisies with female human's heads and feet. They are freaky!

13) E...E...SEE...ME...EATING A PEACH-surreal classic letter E cartoon. When I first saw it as a baby, it was fine, but when I saw it again on the debut Sesame Street episode, things that are so scary are a boy looking like Cookie eating a peach and there are E's on anything that has the sound of "E". The Land Of Steam is scary! A small "e" is on the teapot and a train carries a purple "E". Would we call it "The Theme Park Of Steam"? Theme is the word that has the sound of E!

14) THE "F" FLEA CIRCUS-This animated skit scared me where the "f" is coming to get me as a loud voice yells, "F!" It featured the ringmaster and five fleas of the fabulous flea family are Filbert, Fats, Freddie, Fannie and Floyd Flea. Floyd had the flu, so Fats fills in for him and fractures his foot, Freddie and Fannie didn't want to perform their act where they fire the field cannon on Fort Founter, so Filbert fills in for them and explodes the whole circus. At the end here's how it went:

Ringmaster: "Filbert, you fool!"
Filbert: "Oh, phooey!"
Ringmaster: "Anybody wanna buy a used F?"

15) THE Q AND THE ANTS-This is the cartoon that scared me about the letter Q. It starts where the ants discovered a huge letter on ground, so they carry it to the top of the hill as the leader ant kept saying, "Up the hill, careful. All right then, here we go! Hold up that letter!" Then they yelled "Q!!!!!!!!" with lots of pride. Afterwards, they started to lose control and lost their balance and they fell down the hill and they break the Q.

16) OSCAR'S GROUCH TALKING DAIL-The intro background with the Oscar face scared me, then it changes to Oscar in the trash can. He first talked to an orange grouch, who likes to scribble so loud, then he talked to a female grouch, who likes to draw something rotten, then comes to a large grouch who plays the flute. The huge grouch scared me. Oscar speaks to him that he's a rotten player and the grouch says, "It's calling me, Bob!" so the grouch took off his head and Bob meets Oscar happily. Bob and Oscar talk a little while, then Bob begins to play music with his hands, letting Oscar a loud scream and shuts his can!

17) HICKORY DICKORY DOCK-Kermit reports this nursery rhyme (which he is right next to the grandfather clock) and waits for the mouse to run up the clock. First comes a cow, which she's off to the barn, then comes a duck which he says, "Are you sure you wouldn't beat the Hickory Dickory Duck?" and Kermit tells the duck to beat it. Finally, a horse arrives and explains that the mouse cannot make it, so he runs to the clock and wrecks the clock in pieces! Freaky!

For my very own opinion of the "D" and "E" segments, I love watching them as a kid, but as a teen, they were so freaky!

BlueAM

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I was scared of the scene when Oscar fell down the stairs in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street", too!

By the way, can you describe the AMs from "Consider Yourself" more clearly? Be sure to include skin color, shape of their heads, hair, acessories, etc., if you would.

And also, was there ever a picture of these AMs?

Thanks!

BlueAM
"Up, up, and away, in my beautiful balloon."

mikealan

Reaction score
Are you guys scared of Sam the Robot, race cars/spies series, Daddy Dear, "E...E...See me...eating a peach", The F Flea Circus, Muppet Labs and Pigs In Space episodes on the Pearl Bailey episode, The Q and the Ants, Traffic Light film, Take Away Splash Show, Red Hot I, the Hickory Dickory Dock sketch, the street segment with Oscar and Bob in a grouch's constume, Say the Word and This Is Your Lunch???

Please let me know!

Now, here are my extra scary moments:

THERE'S A UFO TOWARD YA-The background is outer space. Then any shape (like a circle, a square, or a rectangle) appears. Then a kid off-screen counts the sides of any shape and then the other off-screen voice (sounds like David's) tells the kid what the shape is and the he says any shape. Finally, the scariest part of all is that the sides of the shape are coming to get me while the shape floats in the air and disappears.

SPLURGE-I was just kinda scared of him at age 11. When I saw him on the video "Hey, Cinderella" last month, he dances with some people wearing costumes!

KEEP FISHIN'-It was playing at Hot Skates! It was performed by Weezer along with Kermit, Pepe, Gonzo and others. Most of the kids were interested in something else, but not ME!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some more I remembered

There were these series of clips, I can't recall, but they were animated segments about numbers (Maria probably did the V.O.) and one in particular scared the ever loving crap out of me. They had 8 bats, and they played scary organ music, and the cartoon bats would fly towards the viewer. I always cringed at that moment.

There was some live action film about saxa phones being made. it didn't bother me too much, but at one point they showed a close up of tis REALLY UGLY GUY (had it been a woman, ikt would be scarier) and that always freaked me out. And the end VO when it says "SAXAPHONE"

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by mikealan
KEEP FISHIN'-It was playing at Hot Skates! It was performed by Weezer along with Kermit, Pepe, Gonzo and others. Most of the kids were interested in something else, but not ME!!!
what's so scary about that?

mikealan

Reaction score
You see, PunkNPuppets, I just want to talk about the stuff from The Muppets and Sesame Street that scared me, that's all!

mikealan

Reaction score
Sorry! I mean, were you guys scared of these SS sketches I typed in that made me scared?