What made you think today?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the Spanish alphabet, there are only five vowels: A,E,I,O, and U.

There is a Y, but not used too often.
The “y” sound we use in “yellow” is used in Spanish with “LL” as in “LLAMA “. (pronounced “ya/ma”, not “la/ma”).

English alphabet has 26 letters.
Spanish has 29.
Add CH as in “churro”
RR as in “burrito”.
n^ (should be over the n) as in “ban^o”.
and LL.
And in Spanish, there is no W.

Takes notes, there might be a quiz later.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
While ch, rr, and ll have traditionally been considered separate letters, they have lately been labeled as digraphs - two letters which together make a distinct sound, like how ch is used in English.

Let’s look at the German alphabet. There are a solid number of digraphs as well, but as far as the alphabet goes, it incorporates the classic English twenty-six, plus four bonus letters.

Ää • Öö • Üü • ẞß

I’ll focus on the last letter because it would be hard to explain the other three through text. Eszett’s name combines the name for S and the name for Z in German. The letter is actually a ligature — two letters that got written together — as it evolved over time from ſs and ſz to ß. (S used to have three forms: Sſs.) ß represents the ss sound common in English in words like bless, and in German in words like groß.

For the longest time, ß only existed in lower case. When a word was written in all-caps, it was replaced by SS. A capital ß was finally created some years back to solve the problem.

Now if we could bring it into English...

More letter info to come most likely. I could do this all day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If that SS Law & Order: Special Letters Unit spoof was about the letter T instead of the letter M, then they definitely would have need to do an Ice-T Muppet caricature. I kind of wish they did.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There are a lot of YouTube videos of people keeping wild animals as pets. Foxes, raccoons, snakes, skunks,wolves, tigers, kangaroos, etc,
Some of them do look cute, and some will eat out of your hand. Some like tummy rubs. Some were rescued because they were hurt or orphaned.
All that is nice, and it’s nice these animals bond with humans to a degree.
But no matter how much people domesticate them, they’re still wild. Some take really good care of these animals, but I think it’s still selfish to keep a wild animal locked up.
They really belong out in nature.
Yes, it looks adorable to have a pet fox you can give tummy rubs to, but they’re meant to be free.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Exactly. This is what Billy the Exterminator would talk about on his show from time to time whenever the subject of people keeping wild animals as pets come up: no matter how hard you try, wild animals will never be truly domesticated. There's the story of a man who kept a pet raccoon for ten years, never had any problems with it, and then one day, out of the clear blue, the raccoon attacked without provocation, and ripped up his owner's face.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
My feelings exactly. Going further back, it was an episode on Little House on the Prairie. Laura had a pet raccoon. He could do little tricks and let you pet him. Until he bites you.

If you can buy an animal in a pet store, great. Dogs, cats, birds, fish, and yes, bunnies too.
If you have a farm, by all means get horses, cows, chickens, pigs, goats, have at it.
But if you’re a farmer, and think a pet fox will stay out of the chicken coop, um... I hate to tell you this, Sparky...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Honestly, isn't paying for multiple streaming services like paying for multiple cable/satellite providers?

Zephyr

Reaction score
After my girlfriend broke up with me a few months back; I found myself getting into writing short stories and poetry again. Also I have started to base a few short stories on a few Henson character; yet I am contemplating on whether I should upload them to the forum.
What do you guys think?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We have seedless grapes.

We have seedless watermelons.

When will we ever have pitless cherries?