What made you roll your eyes today thread?

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Just like if Taylor Swift comes on the radio, you have the freedom to turn it off or change the station. Imagine that...
What if I can't control the station at work that plays Turn the Page, Hotel California and Bohemian Rhapsody daily?

DePingPong

Reaction score
You don't like "Hotel California"?! :eek:
Hotel California will always be a classic.
Hearing things like Bad Guy by Billie Eilish and Truth Hurts by Lizzo every 2 minutes on the radio is definitely eye roll worth though

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Interestingly, I've never heard a Billie Eilish song on the radio . . . and I'm surprised, but then again, with the exception of Pentatonix (usually around Christmastime), I hardly ever hear big internet sensations on broadcast radio around these parts . . . in fact, I've literally only ever heard a Lindsey Stirling song on our local broadcast radio approximately once.

But yes:
Every single time Taylor Swift comes out with a new song, suddenly the radio become "All Taylor, All the Time."

Honestly, there's one particular song every year that becomes the most overrated song of the year, and it's almost always the most annoying and irritating songs at that: this year it's "I Like Me Better When I'm With You" (probably even more narcissistic that Taylor's music); last year it was "Havanananana"; year before that it was "Scars to Your Beautiful" (which isn't a bad song, but it was overplayed) tied with "Shape of You."

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
You don't like "Hotel California"?! :eek:
I have worked at the same job for nearly seven years and have heard it 1000+ times... it has reached meme status; heard it today. Heard Bohemian as well, but unfortunately not Seger's blaring saxaphone to open Turn the Page (which has become meme status as well). The lack of musical variety on the radio is inhumane torture; the only hope is for college radio (which almost gets too "out there") and public radio. The classic rock station plays the same 20 songs that the "oldies" (which have abandoned the '60s for '80s starting this year [i.e. abandoning the Monkees for Def Leppard]) and "mix" stations do.

But yeah; used to love Hotel California (especially the solo), but listen to it four days a week for the next seven years and get back to me.

The oldies station has also abandoned any and all Motown as well as soft rock (America, Ambrosia, Bread, etc.)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have worked at the same job for nearly seven years and have heard it 1000+ times... it has reached meme status; heard it today. Heard Bohemian as well, but unfortunately not Seger's blaring saxaphone to open Turn the Page (which has become meme status as well). The lack of musical variety on the radio is inhumane torture; the only hope is for college radio (which almost gets too "out there") and public radio. The classic rock station plays the same 20 songs that the "oldies" (which have abandoned the '60s for '80s starting this year [i.e. abandoning the Monkees for Def Leppard]) and "mix" stations do.

But yeah; used to love Hotel California (especially the solo), but listen to it four days a week for the next seven years and get back to me.

The oldies station has also abandoned any and all Motown as well as soft rock (America, Ambrosia, Bread, etc.)
Classic rock radio got boring a long time ago. Same three Who songs, same three Stones songs, blah blah blah.
The Who are one of my favorite bands ever, but after so many years of overkill, I'm sick of "Won't Get Fooled Again". However, on the original single
B side was "I Don't Even Know Myself", one of the best songs you'll never hear on the radio.
Same with the B side of "Pinball Wizard", an instrumental gem called "Dogs, Part 2".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even in music today, Lorde does have other songs, but she's treated like a one-hit wonder, as "Royals" is literally the only song of hers you ever hear.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Classic rock radio got boring a long time ago. Same three Who songs, same three Stones songs, blah blah blah.
The Who are one of my favorite bands ever, but after so many years of overkill, I'm sick of "Won't Get Fooled Again". However, on the original single
B side was "I Don't Even Know Myself", one of the best songs you'll never hear on the radio.
Same with the B side of "Pinball Wizard", an instrumental gem called "Dogs, Part 2".
The thing I will never wrap my head around is how many top 40 songs (and good ones at that) have been lost to the sands of time in favor of the select 30 or whatever is (however many songs there are in the 12-24 hour rotational window before it expires and repeats). Remember "Cruel to Be Kind" by Nick Lowe? The radio execs sure seem to not, but they treat "Summer of '69" like it's God's gift to man.

I don't have a problem with hit songs; I have a problem with half of them being ignored for no good reason for the same playlist everyday, just in a different order. I could compile a list of the overplayed ("The Joker" by Steve Miller, "More Than a Feeling" Boston, etc), but I think you know.

I just get excited when I hear my boy Todd Rundgren on the radio; they played "Just One Victory" (by request of course) last week cause the Cleveland Browns continue to suck ***. His songwriting is out of this planet, but he continues to get no love. Good luck hearing "Hello It's Me" on the radio (a top 5 single); all he gets is "Bang the Drum" for Friday drive time. It's his mosts simplisitic and boring song from a songwriting standpoint, but that's probably why it got so huge. Anyone could've written that song; he said he dreamt it in fact.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another example- I love Led Zeppelin, but I hate "Stairway to Heaven".It's really boring when someone calls in a radio request and th best they can come up with is "Stairway".
Even Robert Plant agrees. His favorite song on IV isn't "Stairway", but "When the Levee Breaks".
That's mine too, even though the opening drum break has been sampled by every rap group.

Here is my incomplete list of overrated/overplayed songs:

Won't Get Fooled Again- The Who
Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin
Aqualung- Jethro Tull
Free Bird- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Layla- Derek and the Dominoes
Bang A Gong- T. Rex
Ramblin' Man- Allman Brothers
Smoke on the Water- Deep Purple

The list is open to amendments, but from a classic 70s view this is a good place to start (and it shows my age. After the 90s I pretty much stopped listening to the radio. I have no idea what is good now and what is crap. That's up to you young people to decide).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, I honestly can't remember the last time I heard "Smoke on the Water"!

As I've noted before, I've pretty much figured out what the most overrated song for the past several years has been based on however often it's been played on the radio, but also taking other factors into consideration (i.e. use of it in advertising or other media):

2012: "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen
2013: "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke
2014: "Shake it Off" - Taylor Swift
2015: "All About That Bass" and "Lips Are Movin'" - Meghan Trainor
2016: "Exes and Ohs" - Rob Schneider's daughter
2017: "Scars to Your Beautiful" - Alessia Cara and "Cheap Thrills" - Sia
2018: "Havanananana" - Camila Cabello and "Shape of You" - Ed Sheeran
2019: "I Like Me Better When I'm With You" - Luav and "ME!!!" - Taylor Swift

For whatever reason, "Call Me Maybe" is popular again right now, and I have absolutely no idea why. Mercifully, a number of these songs have finally been disappearing from the airwaves a little.

Interestingly enough, there's one particular Kelly Clarkson song that was really popular when it first came out, but I haven't even heard it ever again since, and it's been a year or two now . . . I don't even remember the name of the song, or even what the lyrics were because it was really hard to understand: the refrain basically sounded like she was trying to rap, but kept hiccuping at the end.