What is up with these DISTURBING commercials, lately?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's quite right and all, too. But then of course, there are people like me who are sick and tired of people with unruly kids saying "This is what morals are, this is what you should believe" who are somehow immune to their own morals. Some people attack it, as I've said in the "I'm the only one thread" passive aggressively. Sort of "Oh yeah? Well... you're shoes are out of fashion!" sort of way. Again, I think the one who should be saddled with that is her, and the kids should be left alone... but the other side has NO problem mocking the kids of someone they don't like either. So, I say again, either both sides agree to no below the belt, or no holds barred. And again, all this comes from fear and anger of the extremists that came in to control both sides.

But back to my basic point. Someone who did something wrong, and financially can come to terms with it is a bad example of a bad example. For every rich teenager that has unwed babies and the staff to take care of them, there are hundreds, some even in abusive relationships where saying no isn't even a choice, who have to drop out of school to raise those kids. And you know a good portion of the guys just run out so there's no help there. Wouldn't it make more sense to make one of them the spokesperson for what could go wrong? I see this as a prime opportunity to say "Don't make the same mistakes I did." Even going as far as adding, "If such and such happens, you're in a bad relationship." If you want to scare kids off drugs, you don't get a guy who did them, pretended to find a higher calling, and just give them up. You want to show them a relentless addict with one foot in the grave saying "I REALLY screwed up, and I'm not saying this could happen to you, but that this WILL happen to you."

I always resisted smoking because too many relatives died from it. Not because someone said it was icky or hard to quit.... people I loved died from it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If you want to scare kids off drugs, you don't get a guy who did them, pretended to find a higher calling, and just give them up. You want to show them a relentless addict with one foot in the grave saying "I REALLY screwed up, and I'm not saying this could happen to you, but that this WILL happen to you."
I'm not sure why you're assuming they're pretending? But I do understand what you mean about showing kids an addict in action. The problem is finding an addict with insight, heh. Don't get me wrong, there are addicts who will tell you they screwed up, but there are also a lot who don't have a clue.

I always resisted smoking because too many relatives died from it. Not because someone said it was icky or hard to quit.... people I loved died from it.
I think that's very commendable of you. Though even that doesn't stop everyone. People who want the pleasure of a drug are going to do it, regardless of the consequences.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, we have a couple of newbies that have already made it to the list...

My mom is absolutely disgusted and creeped out by the commercial for the new Double Stuf Oreo Blast at Sonic; really great product, I must say, but the commercial is slightly... odd? I mean, I guess if the talking pile of Oreos and the talking pile of cream filling were real people instead, and were "One Cupping", then... never mind.

Here's one that I find somewhat disturbing: a beer commercial about a high school reunion; a girl hits on a guy, and he doesn't remember her. She says it's because she was always shy, then the host of the party toasts her, and it turns out she was his teacher, whose now the vice principal. Yeah, that hits close to home here, because the entire state of Tennessee is NOTORIOUS for those teacher/student sex scandals, so that's kind of a tasteless satire.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Does anyone else find the latest Comcast/xfinity commercial lightly disturbing, where those parents clearly and obviously show favoritism of their kids, while the kids are sitting there in front of them? With them expressing favoritism towards the daughter, and she sits there smiling, while her brother sits next to her like a deer in the headlights, and all the parents say about him is his thick head of hair needing to be rewarded.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I can't seem to find it, although that is kind of weird. However, this concept is cool:
However THIS commercial IS creepy/disturbing

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
From the "creepy movie" thread...

Ugh! OOk! I just saw that on TV... that makes the Burger King King look as cute and non-threatening as Big Bird! And the commercial doesn't even make any sense...

but I've noticed that we have nothing but ultra-creepy or ultra akward disturbing commercials lately.
Ughh that was so disgusting and disturbing, I can't believe you posted that

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm really glad the Christmas season is over. I could NOT take those commercials any longer (though I kinda liked the Patrick Warburton Honda commercials, but I'm a big fan of his). Anyone else really hate those Best Buy commercials where the women all had some childish vendetta against Santa and constantly one upped him?

Oh well... at least its New Years and we'll have to suffer through the Special K and Subway ads that imply if you gain so much as a pound over the holidays, you're destined for a TLC "Half Ton" special.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm really glad the Christmas season is over. I could NOT take those commercials any longer (though I kinda liked the Patrick Warburton Honda commercials, but I'm a big fan of his). Anyone else really hate those Best Buy commercials where the women all had some childish vendetta against Santa and constantly one upped him?

Oh well... at least its New Years and we'll have to suffer through the Special K and Subway ads that imply if you gain so much as a pound over the holidays, you're destined for a TLC "Half Ton" special.
Stop watching tv:smile: I literally have not watched tv(save for maybe a simpsons episode or two) in the last ten years. After 9/11 and the buildup to Iraq and all that propaganda, I made a decision to never again have reception or pay for cable. Virtually every show I get recommended or even funny commercials gets put online.

But..the disturbing commercials trend CONTINUES! dun dun dun

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether or not I'm disturbed by these new commercials or not...

I mean, yeah, I would agree it's a wise decision to have your pets fixed, unless you actually intend on breeding, but... ehh... maybe they could have tried a different approach to spell it out to us? Or something... I dunno...