Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I'm so jealous - I wish I could talk to the Henson people about my childhood like he can :/ Here's hoping the script is given the go soon so we can get started on this already :big_grin:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, he was a teenager when FR was made, so it is more his teenager-hood :wink:. I wish more of we younger fans could have a say in things...

You know, I don't see how making a FR movie into a musical would be that bad. After all, people make new musicals into movies all the time, it is very 'in' I think. And given the nature of fraggles you can't just have two songs and then say 'See? I made them sing!' IMHO. Fraggles don't just sing every now and then, it is their whole culture...and besides that, I just can't see fraggles as the kind of creatures that would give into the peer pressure of a bunch of humans say "We don't sing in the human world, its not cool." That's like the muppets giving into being 'normal' and not throwing chickens and fish :stick_out_tongue:!

Luke

Reaction score
Fraggles don't just sing every now and then, it is their whole culture...and besides that, I just can't see fraggles as the kind of creatures that would give into the peer pressure of a bunch of humans say "We don't sing in the human world, its not cool."
To be fair, they weren't always singing in the show. I don't think he means just have em sing one or twice. I think he means more that he doesn't want them just bursting into song all over the place for no reason like some musical. Sounds like he wants specific plot points in the movie where they might sing to cheer someone up or they might sing in their little Fraggley hideout or to explain their world/life to the humans.

Regarding CGI - i think he has the right idea. Brian is right that a lot of the puppetry will still look good but i agree that CGI technology can be used to enhance things for the better. It is just a case of it not being used just for the sake of it, or taking anything away from the traditional Fraggle feel to the film.

This Cory Edwards guy, i liked Hoodwinked, i like the sound of him. I don't think this project could be in any better hands - he seems to "get it" but also knows what can be done to make things "work" a little better nowadays ... and he's even wearing a Fraggle shirt. What a top dude! :excited:

I wonder if that Enclopedia Fraggalia is the same document Jerry Juhl worked on that explained the Fraggle evolution and how they actually came into being. There is supposedly some whole backstory to it. Will have to ask Karen if she pops on here again sometime.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's a fine line with CGI. It has to look good, and even then puppetry is often better because it looks real and not like a cartoon. I think CGI just needs to be used to enhance and not replace, as Luke was saying.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Well, he was a teenager when FR was made, so it is more his teenager-hood :wink:. I wish more of we younger fans could have a say in things...

You know, I don't see how making a FR movie into a musical would be that bad. After all, people make new musicals into movies all the time, it is very 'in' I think. And given the nature of fraggles you can't just have two songs and then say 'See? I made them sing!' IMHO. Fraggles don't just sing every now and then, it is their whole culture...and besides that, I just can't see fraggles as the kind of creatures that would give into the peer pressure of a bunch of humans say "We don't sing in the human world, its not cool." That's like the muppets giving into being 'normal' and not throwing chickens and fish :stick_out_tongue:!
They need enough songs for a soundtrack, anyway :wink: *gets all excited just thinking about it* Not counting the scores... um... if they get any xD

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be fair, they weren't always singing in the show. I don't think he means just have em sing one or twice. I think he means more that he doesn't want them just bursting into song all over the place for no reason like some musical. Sounds like he wants specific plot points in the movie where they might sing to cheer someone up or they might sing in their little Fraggley hideout or to explain their world/life to the humans.

Regarding CGI - i think he has the right idea. Brian is right that a lot of the puppetry will still look good but i agree that CGI technology can be used to enhance things for the better. It is just a case of it not being used just for the sake of it, or taking anything away from the traditional Fraggle feel to the film.

This Cory Edwards guy, i liked Hoodwinked, i like the sound of him. I don't think this project could be in any better hands - he seems to "get it" but also knows what can be done to make things "work" a little better nowadays ... and he's even wearing a Fraggle shirt. What a top dude!

I wonder if that Enclopedia Fraggalia is the same document Jerry Juhl worked on that explained the Fraggle evolution and how they actually came into being. There is supposedly some whole backstory to it. Will have to ask Karen if she pops on here again sometime.
:excited: I agree with you. It doesn't seem that the film will be *carpeted* with music, but it does appear that songs will play a large part in the movie as they always have in the shows. This is likely why a lot of artists don't like to talk about their work - one or two perfectly fine words can be spun into meanings that were never intended.

It all has to do with the perspective of those reading the posts. All we really can do is have faith that it will turn out okay and that's easy to do with a lot of the statements Edwards has been making. Whether it's the Fraggle film or the Muppet projects some fans are inclined to focus on the potential of disaster rather than relish in the moment. Muppet/Henson/Fraggle fans have just become so accustomed to disappointment, but it really does seem to be a new day this time around. Many fans will have to see to believe. :smirk:

I also like the fact that Edwards understands that CG is best used to enhance what is already there and not to substitute or create a performance. I see a lot of classic craftsmanship returning in this film and that makes me happy. I expect some modern bells and whistles too, but it's good to hear they won't take over the production. I honestly never thought they would.

A lot is said about Hoodwinked, but I look at is as an enjoyable experiment with colorful characters. It also has a sequel in production so it did enjoy some success. The name Cory Edwards conjures up the Hoodwinked song "Critters Have Feelings" in my brain. It just solidifies why I think he's the right guy for the job. :coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just can't see fraggles as the kind of creatures that would give into the peer pressure of a bunch of humans say "We don't sing in the human world, its not cool." That's like the muppets giving into being 'normal' and not throwing chickens and fish :stick_out_tongue:!
Very true. :smile: It's weird how they were concerned about characters breaking into song in a modern movie. Fraggle Rock is technically a kids' show (though not just that) and there's still plenty of songs in that genre. And anyway I think Moulin Rouge, Chicago, and yes even High School Musical proves musicals are still welcome. :smile: