Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Despite it seeming like a silly premise (and honestly, it seems more like fanfiction turned into a mainstream movie), DETECTIVE PIKACHU seems to be getting quite a load of praise and positive response.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
as far as i know its actually based on the game. Yeah, there's a detective pikachu game. no idea what its about though.

I gotta say, I do wanna see it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ehh, I wouldn't know. I fell off the Pokemon bandwagon a couple of years after it came to America, and was never quite able to get back on.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I have never been a huge Pokemon fan (although I do like the original show), but i'm actually pretty excited for this movie! And, I mean, even if it does sound like an idea out of fanfiction, fan fics are creative! I want to see more movies like that.
Bring back the era of fun, standalone family movies.

Besides, let's be honest, most of the Muppet movies besides the first one are pretty much AU fanfics brought to life.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Despite it seeming like a silly premise (and honestly, it seems more like fanfiction turned into a mainstream movie), DETECTIVE PIKACHU seems to be getting quite a load of praise and positive response.
I was startled, when watching a preview of it, to realize that was Ryan Reynolds. I'm absolutely not a Pokemon fan, but it might be cute regardless.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Well, those tweets seem to have conspicuously and suspiciously been deleted (all at once?), but there were complaints about a gay character getting spat in the face (and certain people in the theater cheering at it), a rainbow pride flag being burned, and everything else just blanket complaints from people saying they were leaving the theater early over the propaganda they were witnessing, and some saying Brie Larson should be ashamed of herself, etc.
Uh, WHAT?

Uh, NO. Sounds like trolling to me. Saw it, liked it, enjoyed the way it turned a lot of male-action-hero-movie tropes on their heads.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, ALADDIN has done much, much, much better than everybody was hoping it would.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Meanwhile, people are pretty much split on Will Smith as Genie: some hate him in the role simply because he's not Robin Williams, while others actually like him in the role because his performance is actually closer to the character in the original story.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So far, TOY STORY 4 seems to be getting quite a bit of mixed reviews: the positive reviews are coming from people who enjoyed it purely for nostalgia, while the negative reviews are coming from people who feel it basically deviates what the previous three entries have built up.

I've heard it said that TS4 even ignores or retcons much of TS3 in favor for the plot of TS4; that, and apparently Woody's character is completely ruined in TS4. Or, so I've heard.