Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even I know it seems quite sensational - I went through about half a dozen of these tweets, and like I said, the only specifics anybody posted were apparently a gay character being spat in the face (and that people in the theater cheered) and a rainbow flag being burned, but everything else was incredibly vague complaints about racism, anti-semitism, conservative propaganda, and "Brie Larson should be ashamed of herself."

Maybe the sensationalism is why those tweets are suddenly unavailable, but I did see one response tweet to all of them saying something along the lines of, "you don't have to see the movie if you don't want to, but it's only a movie."

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have no interest in seeing the movie but there IS the possibility these people are lying or twisting facts to fit their own agendas. I mean, there was a bunch of people who were complaining about that Queen movie saying its homophobic because it shows Freddie with a woman (hey dipweeds, he was bi), and the fact it talks about him dying. Because somehow a biopic that covers a real life person's death is homophobic for showing him die (that whole 'kill your gays' trope or some nonsense)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, there was a bunch of people who were complaining about that Queen movie saying its homophobic because it shows Freddie with a woman (hey dipweeds, he was bi)
Didn't we actually discuss this in another thread once upon time? About stigmas like this? That a bisexual's "not really bisexual" if they're with the opposite sex?

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Didn't we actually discuss this in another thread once upon time? About stigmas like this? That a bisexual's "not really bisexual" if they're with the opposite sex?
Yeah I really hope this hateful nonsense is not in Captain Marvel. If it is I will refuse to see the movie.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
But back to a more positive topic, I saw How to train your dragon 3 today. It was absolutely fantastic!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't bring myself to see it. I know the movies are actually based on a series of books, but the original was one of the best non-Shrek DreamWorks movies, and with sequelitis in cinema today, I just feel like there being sequels is unnecessary and not needed.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
I can't bring myself to see it. I know the movies are actually based on a series of books, but the original was one of the best non-Shrek DreamWorks movies, and with sequelitis in cinema today, I just feel like there being sequels is unnecessary and not needed.
Trust me Snowth the movie is definitely worth watching. The trilogy is one of the greatest trilogies in my opinion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Man, it seems like DUMBO is getting almost THE LOVE GURU or THE EMOJI MOVIE levels of hate from moviegoers out there . . . I have not read a single positive thing about it from moviegoers or critics alike: the common complaints that I'm seeing are that it deviates too far away from the original movie, and that it also comes across as just another typical Tim Burton movie - nothing more, nothing less.

At this point, despite the fact that we still have about eight and a half months left to go, I would go out on a limb and say this will probably go down as the worst movie of 2019, if not one of the worst movies of all time (again, along with THE LOVE GURU and THE EMOJI MOVIE).