The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Weird. Most women I've known have been cat lovers . . . in fact, it's the ones who are dog lovers who strike me as bucking against the "norm." I mean, you hear the term "crazy cat lady," never "crazy dog lady."

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Some of those studies are misleading. It’s hard to tell if people are compatible just by looking at a picture.
It’s been quite a while since I was in the dating market. A guy could be a total prick. But as long as he has a car and bucks, girls will still fight over him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been noticing for a couple of weeks now that Facebook evidently has this new thing where they send you individual friend suggestions in the form of notifications - sometimes they're based on mutual friends you have, while some are just absolutely completely random.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One of my favorite groups of all time we’re the Kinks. They were part of the 60’s British Invasion along with the Beatles, Stones, and a million others. They hit it right off with You Really Got Me, for 1964, could be the first Heavy Metal song (later covered by Van Halen).
The Kinks’ main focus was Ray Davies’ songwriting. He wrote these brilliant pieces about British working class living.

One song that got quite a bit of attention was 1965’s “A Well Respected Man”. The story of an upper class banker, who thinks he’s so wonderful.
One line people hold onto says
“He likes his fags the best”. If you never heard the Kinks before, you would think the title character was LGBT.
But in England, a fag is a cigarette. Actually in England at the time, there were two types of cigarettes. Fags would be store-bought, like Guyanese (favored by John Lennon and David Bowie).
If you couldn’t afford fags, you might roll your own cigarettes called “looses”. These were for the common people, like Ray Davies was.

And then two lines later, the character is proud of himself because “His armpits smell the best”.
I can’t think of too many songs that celebrate your armpits. So Ray, more props to you. But many of Ray’s songs are sprinkled with little hints like this And rich banker types like this show up in songs like “Sunny Afternoon”, “Mr. Pleasant”, and “Plastic Man”. All nice hummable little three-minute masterpieces.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For a period on Taxi, Latka had multiple personalities (most notably Vic Ferrari). It seems like the kind of thing Andy Kaufman would want to do, but I also know that he disliked working on the show, and I have not seen anything to indicate that he or his writer contributed ideas for Latka. Though with Andy Kaufman disliking being on the show, I feel like the writers would want to do things to please him (according to Man on the Moon, his contract was for five seasons, and this started near the end of the third season, I guess they'd want to please him as best they could to keep him on the show).

I wonder if Andy Kaufman really disliked it as much as Man on the Moon presents it (where, when his agent called to tell him the bad news that the show was canceled, he asked what the bad news was). I also wonder if his hatred of it was all an act (which the movie did not make evident - but the film does have instances where his agent and even his writer are not in on certain pranks, he could have secretly enjoyed it that whole time without telling anybody). Similar to one of his terms being that the show have guaranteed guest appearances by Tony Cliffton, only for him to intentionally cause a scene on the set and get Cliffton kicked out.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Andy Kaufman was a difficult guy to read. Borderline genius, borderline nut job.
The Taxi cast was an embarrassment of talent. Besides their interactions on the set, Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito were brilliant as inmates in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. Great stuff.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, this is what my life on YouTube feels like sometimes, but it’s something I’ve just gotten used to. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Since the text is very small, here’s what it says: “Alex Mack uploading his own creative content he worked very hard on”

“Alex Mack uploading Sesame Street content without permission from Sesame Workshop”

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well this was quite interesting to watch.

Can relate to some points brought up, but overall, when it comes to human interaction, it’s something I obviously have to deal with for the entirety of my life. My main issue is just dealing with people who are just...... absolute lost causes or have a clear temper or form of narcissism.

The truth is I’ve dealt with kids (and teachers) in my local public schools who made my life an absolute **** and made me have to transfer to a private school that fit with my needs (my learning disability). And even going there there were a good batch of kids who were just an absolute headache to deal with.

Same thing when I went to college. There was even one time I felt personally invaded/stalked by one kid who was in the same major as me. I have once dealt with a creep who tried getting in my pants in high school.

Many people I’ve become friends with just became absolute headaches or toxic as **** later in life and since had to cut ties. I’ve even dealt with a toxic cousin I no longer talk to and hope to never see again now that we’ve both reached adulthood and are going our own ways in life.

Truth is the older I’ve gotten the less I’ve become a people person and prefer just keeping a small group of friends. With that in mind, I am grateful to have those in my life who care for me and make me feel good (and whom I likewise share the same feelings for in return).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So over this weekend I decided to stone-watch a few late 90s Sesame Street episodes I remember seeing from my childhood.

A big one being episode 3752, mainly cause I had this one on tape (courtesy of my dad) after really loving the season 2 Grover skit teaching the word “EXIT” with a group of pre-Little Jerry AM hippies running him over (which I later on eventually found out was the only episode that skit ever aired in during the around the corner era). Felt nice seeing that one again after 20+ years.

I also watched episode 3701 mainly cause I remember seeing the final Don Music skit to be used in the show (Whistle, Whistle, Little Bird) - I have absolutely no memory of the street scenes (but I guess that’s to be expected with how many episodes were syndicated a day 🤷🏿‍♂️) but it felt nice seeing that one again (and I did remember the insert coming after specifically the D can-can painting cartoon).

And I also watched episode 3582 which I mostly remember for seeing “Rock ‘N Roll Readers” by Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats in its entirety (which took me by surprise at the time that there was more footage of the segment beforehand), and later on...... ugh, my first introduction to those dreaded mural painting films (which HAD to be 18 with a kid’s yellow-painted soles touching the lens; little did I know I would end up having to get used to those films), which was followed up by the awesome Eighteen Sandwiches song. I faintly remember the street scenes (what mostly stuck out was the bird hatching).

Definitely was a great nostalgic trip.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It’s funny how nostalgia for you and nostalgia for me I’d 25 years apart.
In roughly a ten year period, from 1999 to 2009, all my nostalgia came roaring back with Noggin, DVDs, the birth of YouTube. The tidal wave has slowed to a trickle, but every so often something is posted that blows me away.
And it blows me away you posted stuff so early in YouTube’s day. How young you were, and how old I was, you brought some great bits of my childhood back. I’ll always be thankful for that, Alex. Props to you.