The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I sucked at math too. I got by in Geometry, but Algebra killed me.
On the flip side, I could ace anything verbal. Reading, Spelling, Vocabulary, I nailed it.
Science, did good in Biology and Physics, but Chemistry, not so much.
Thankfully, since 1985, I never had to solve for X.
This is pretty much me right here. Chemistry almost killed me because of all those formulas and equations that had to be figured out and solved, but any other science course was right up my alley . . . I didn't think I would be able to handle dissecting animals in Biology, but I did surprisingly well (I guess because they were already dead, so it's not like I was murdering them or anything).

I remember we had a fun Biology assignment regarding genetic traits and how they're passed down: our teacher paired us up with another student, one of us would blindly and randomly select genetic traits, while the other would design what our child would look like (I being artistic, naturally, ended up design mine and my partner's child). I have to say, our child was turning out to be one hediously ugly little thing, to which my partner actually turned to me and said, "You've been cheating on me, haven't you?!"

If my memory serves correctly our child ended up being a short, overweight, curly-haired, freckle-faced, near-sighted girl who was exceptionally strong and athletic, but also intellectual and academic. She was still ugly AF doe.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
We didn’t dissect frogs, but worms. I can still smell the formaldehyde. You had to cut its skin open, pin it back, and find it’s digestive track and all that fun stuff.
The only thing I remember from Chemistry, when mixing compounds, always add acid to water. Never water to acid.
Our big Physics project, we had to design a container for an egg. The container was dropped out a second story window and the egg was not supposed to break. My egg survived with my capsule of styrofoam and foam rubber.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I dissected pigs when I was in 9th grade. Wasn’t too bad but the smell certainly wasn’t pleasant either.

I’m very grateful it wasn’t frogs I had to dissect 😬

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We worked our way up, starting with an earthworm, then we did a crawdad (or crayfish, or however you like to call it), then a perch, then yes, a frog.

I remember when we did the crawdid/crayfish, our teacher informed us that at least one of them was carrying eggs, and as it so happens, I was in the group that had the one carrying eggs . . . of which the others in my group immediately began squishing.

The perch was the best one, though; not only did I end up being paired with my best friend for that one, but we also ended up with the biggest perch, and we had the cleanest dissection in the class.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Getting back to the topic of THE GREAT GATSBY, I guess I can understand why it apparently was never part of my required reading during my high school years: if this is a book that's full of debauchery, as seems to be the case, then I suppose I can see this being disconcerting with home schooling officials, since, again, home schooling is far more religious than traditional public schooling.

Speaking of which, you guys know how high schoolers are encouraged to enroll in after school clubs, or other extra-curricular activities for extra credit and such? Well, for whatever reason, my mom had the bright idea to enroll me in a political club . . . yes, a political club. And, not surprisingly, despite the club claiming to be non-biased and non-partisan, they clearly leaned very much to the right. I've mentioned this before in the past, but I can remember around Christmastime one year, one of the club members had written a Christmas play for us to act out, which was basically IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, but about a pastor who was shown by his guardian angel what the world will be like if he gave up his ministry, which was a world filled with abortion clinics, legal homosexuality, and Christians living like the Jews hiding from the Nazis during the Holocaust.

So, you're probably wondering what did I even contribute to this club since I had been enrolled in it? Well, I ended up becoming their media representative: I designed posters and flyers, as well as made phone calls to our various local news outlets to get people to come cover our events and such . . . which, as I recall, nobody ever really came out to do such.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Repurposing It ‘s a Wonderful Life with a political bent sounds like risky business.
Frank Capra’s estate, or whoever owns the movie rights now, would probably not be too keen on that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I mean, it's not like we performed the play openly to the public or anything, it was just basically for the club, faculty, and parents.

I ended up playing an extra in the play: I was one of the Christians who were meeting secretly to gather together for worship, only to be detained and arrested when Gestapo-like anti-Christian police raided our secret meeting.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of the Marx Brothers movies with Zeppo bill them as "The Four Marx Brothers".

It's as if they knew some day that one of them would leave the group and fans could watch them again and again, letting fans know if it's one with or without Zeppo.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Been watching the first season opening for The Facts of Life recently. I had been aware of some lines being different from later seasons, but I have forgotten how different many of the lines were.

One thing I really don't remember is that in the first season theme, it sounds like Mrs. Garret sings some of the lines.

Comparing the first and second season versions of the theme, I am trying to determine if the change reflects the changes of season two. The first season version of the theme seems to go well with the original format, the revised version of the theme fits in well with how much changed for the second season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Everybody on Twitter talking about JoJo Siwa being gay now, and I'm like

Okay, honestly, I really don't know who she is, but after checking her out . . . I admit my gaydar sucks, but I ain't getting any such vibes from her whatsoever.