The "You know what?" thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
At least five or six times season 1 of Sesame Street has managed to put me to sleep watching full episodes.
I have to admit. Three things during the first season I could find fault with.
1) Repitition. One Season One episode had the Baker #7 film three times.

2) Pacing.Yes, sometimes it dragged
3) Big Burd, by all accounts, was dumb and ugly. Caroll Spinney admitted as much.

In the next few seasons Sesame really hit its stride. More cartoons were added (less repition) tighter editing ( the cow film was trimmed almost in half), Big Bird got a facelift, and the cast was expanded. From then on Sesame became an unstoppable force. At least until Jim died.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
To be honest I think the show would have still gone the ATC era even without Jim’s passing. The only difference is see is maybe Elmo’s World being kept as a spin-off series.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was 22 when Jim died. The next week I graduated from college, so it was time to officially grow up. (I was already well on my way)II had a lot of new responsibilities and demands to meet, and watching Sesame didn’t fit in. It was time to put down the duckie , life was calling.

I only got a glimpse of ATC and the Elmo era
It was time for it to be someone else’s Street. I had my time.
My biggest surprise came in 1999 when the Noggin/Unpaved/Untrue push came. The biggest kick in the butt came finding out Northern Calloway died, and I had no idea.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
On the subject of season 1, I managed to sit through every (available) season 1 episode under the influence of weed. Some put me to sleep but others were nice to sit through.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I like the very dim, low quality look it has and the inserts are fun, but otherwise the pacing of the street scenes are a bit tough to sit through.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the first few years, I liked the dim, gritty look because that’s what city blocks looked like. That’s where my family came from.
The pace dragged, and the transitions weren’t always smooth. But in time things got better. In its first year Sesame was still finding its feet.
If Sesame only lasted one year, it would’ve been a noble experiment, with a few brilliant moments. Nothing a little fine tuning couldn’t fix.
One thing that did stand out, of all things, was Bert and Ernie’s apartment. After Sesaon Two, you could look out the window and see blue skies. Originally, outside the window were garbage cans. Bare white walls with one light bulb hanging down. Looked like where my grandparents lived at the time.
I don’t know why, even though Ernie got a new striped shirt for Season Two onwards, I liked that first shirt he had.