The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly have no problems with trying to bring more diversity and inclusiveness to the world of entertainment and all, but what does bother me to a degree is when already long-time established characters that generations of fans have grown up with are suddenly gender-swapped, race-lifted, or even given sudden-sexuality for the sake of wokeness . . . I mean, can't entirely new characters with these traits be created and introduced and given a chance to establish themselves with audiences without completely reinventing already-existing characters that people have known for decades?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sometimes, it seems like live audiences laugh at things that don’t sound intentionally funny (which could be due to the laughter signal for the live audience).

Like in the film Gilda Live, during her “Goodbye to Saccharine” number, she says a few things that the audience laughs at, I don’t really think are that funny.

“I never liked protests, they always seemed so whiny and pushy.”(audience laughs)

“nothing in the ‘60s really bothered me.” (Audience laughs)

I can’t really remember right now, but I think the audience also laughed at her saying “I never really liked protests”.

They seemed more like statements that people could agree on, sometimes it seems people could confuse things they agree with for humor. Part of me things “couldn’t people who agree just cheer or to “YES!” instead of laugh?”

Additionally, on the show Soap, when Burt announces that Chuck and Bob are arriving, the audience laughs at some of the stuff involving Bob before Burt says who Bob is. Mary reads the letter from Chuck and asks “who’s Bob?”, I think the audience laughed at that, and again when Burt just says “he’s nobody” (which I guess is a little funny), then Mary says “the letter says he’s bringing Bob and he doesn’t eat meat”, getting another laugh (was being a vegetarian or just not eating meat something people found comical back in the 1970s?).

I had seen that episode after I’d known who Chuck and Bob are, but to the live audience (who would not have seen them in action yet), they would not know what was so funny. Could they have instructed the live audience to laugh anyway, so it’d be funnier to late arrival viewers? And now I’m trying to remember if Soap was shot in front of a live audience.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
This isn’t even funny, it’s a documentary clip showing how toxic work life is

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
If it’s one actor I wish I had the chance to meet, it’s Tony Jay.

Seriously, with what an absolute great voice he had and over the top acting performances, he would have easily been high on my list, and I’d sleep like a baby knowing I’d have an autographed picture of Judge Claude Frollo.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Sounds quite a bit like Jeremy Irons.
I remember him as the wise Virgil in “Mighty Max” in the 90s. Cool stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another reason streaming sucks: forcing you to sit through commercials each and every single time you skip forward or play back at any time during the program you're streaming. Every. Single. Freakin'. Time.