The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
We finally get a new episode, and this time, it's a half-hour Thanksgiving-themed affair with Steven's long-lost first cousin once removed, Andy DeMayo, coming home to the barn and finding it occupied by a couple of "illegal aliens". And he's voiced by Dave Willis using his Carl Brutananadilewski voice, which never fails to crack me up. :smile:

snichols1973

Reaction score
We finally get a new episode, and this time, it's a half-hour Thanksgiving-themed affair with Steven's long-lost first cousin once removed, Andy DeMayo, coming home to the barn and finding it occupied by a couple of "illegal aliens". And he's voiced by Dave Willis using his Carl Brutananadilewski voice, which never fails to crack me up. :smile:
In the episode, we learn that Greg's original last name was originally DeMayo before he changed it to Universe:

Uncle Andy: This barn's for the DeMayo family.
Steven: What's a "DeMayo"?
Andy: Andy DeMayo, Greg DeMayo, Steven DeMayo. We're the DeMayo's.
Greg: Actually, we're, um, the... Universes now.

---

Steven: You're telling me "Universe" isn't a real last name?
Greg: It is a real name, I had it changed.

---

Steven: DeMayo's a much cooler name than plain old Universe.

At first, Andy's prejudices sound rather Archie Bunker-ish, when he wonders why Greg couldn't just "marry an American" and he calls the Gems "hippies", but in the end, Steven manages to thaw Uncle Andy's heart as he reluctantly accepts the fact that people changed while he clung to old-fashioned traditional values in the fading hopes that things would stay the same....

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The winter special was really interesting. It's cool to finally get some insight into how the gems felt after Steven was born. It was a little sad though, with them not really understanding how human babies worked and them not being sure if he was really Rose or not. Not to mention the fact that Greg is still trying to grapple with the loss and even he doesn't fully know what his baby is.
Also, unsurprisingly, Pearl is the one that had the hardest time coping, while Garnet is the one trying to keep everyone together.

Also, the song that Greg was singing at the beginning of the episode: Did it remind anyone else of the "Total Drama" theme song?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Another thing that was cool was that Amethyst was wearing her outfit from the pilot. Which was just like her original outfit from the beginning, except with a sweater instead of a tank top.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yep, definitely cool to see them all in their season 1 outfits again.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Anyone caught up with the show yet?

So far, the episodes have actually been pretty heavy. What, with Greg being kidnapped and almost forced to mate, Pearl posing as a slave. We finally got to see Blue Diamond, as well as several amethysts.

And, wow. The origins of the human zoo is not something i'd like to think about. This whole episode was unsettling.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It was really nice to see Connie, Peridot, Lapis, and Pumpkin get extra screen time by showing them how they picked up the slack while the Crystal Gems were away, only for it to go awry when they try too hard to ape the Gems rather than be themselves.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Rocknaldo- For once Ronaldo actually seems to have gotten a fair bit of character development this time around. The whole episode seemed to be a clever metaphor for "allies" of different minority groups. Or it could be interpreted as being about some of the show's more pretentious fans.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And the episode after that was about Purple Puma retiring from wrestling and Tiger Millionaire becoming Tiger Philanthropist in her place. I loved how Lars was "marking out" throughout the whole thing.