The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
So there were two episodes that had some heartbreaking revelations about Amethyst. While it was discussed before, she really hates herself. We find out why...

While Peridot explained that Amethyst was supposed to be taller in an earlier episode, Jasper reveals that Amethyst was meant to be a Quartz warrior, the same size, strength, and abilities as Jasper. So Amethyst has been dealing with an inferiority complex all this time. In the following episode, Steven has to convince her that he sucks more because he can't even control his powers yet, and doesn't do too well of a job of it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also love how the Gamecube that Steven owns is called a Dolphin, which was the code name for the console in real life. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yesterday was real intense. It was a 22-minute episode in which Steven resurrects Bismuth, one of the original Crystal Gems sealed up in a bubble inside Lion's mane. And it's easy to see why Rose Quartz sealed her up behind the others' backs.

Bismuth was essentially created as a weapons expert, and had extreme views about winning the battle with the hostile Homeworld Gems -- namely, she wanted to shatter them in the name of freeing the others, which went against Rose's more merciful beliefs. And she came very close to killing Steven with the Breaking Point, a weapon that can shatter a Gem with one blow.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was a pretty heart breaking one. I really wish Bismuth would have stayed along with the team. On the other hand, at least Bismuth realized that Steven was at least willing to be open to telling the rest of the gems that her paranoia and extreme hate of Homeworld was detrimental to the mission.

Hope to find out who "Snowflake" is.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Wow Steven Universe, just wow. You just created the most awesome character ever and than you just took her away. :cry:

Oh well, given the nature of the end of the episode, I doubt she's gone for good.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Another super intense two-episode event! We get some extra information from Peridot about Jasper's origins, revealing that she was created on Earth just like Amethyst, and they visit the Kindergarten where she was born. Along the way, we see several corrupted Gems trapped in cages, which Jasper has been using to raise an army to destroy Earth.

The following episode shows that Amethyst is out for blood, and gets verbally destroyed by Jasper after getting beaten up.
This leads to Amie and Steven fusing to form the three-armed Smoky Quartz to whoop her butt, forcing Jasper to get desperate and fuse with a corrupted Gem. Unfortunately for her, Jasper undergoes major body horror and cryptically tells Steven something about Rose Quartz originally being one of the Diamonds called Pink Diamond, which I'm sure will be explained in a future episode.

Also awesome to see Peridot finally coming out and saying she's a Crystal Gem. And mastering her metal levitation skills in battle. :smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nice to see Amethyst's inferiority complex subsided when all that went down.

I'm guessing Peridot's comments about how slap-dash the Beta-Quartz soldiers production are maybe a sign of why
The Jasper soldiers were all corrupted.

I especially like the way Peridot and Lapus manged to hit it off, if Lapus remains a little emotionally stunted about everything. I really loved that scene with the meepmorps, and how every project had a very banal explanation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, it's been revealed that

Despite the fact that Rose refused to use Bismuth's Crystal shattering weapon, she did indeed shatter Pink Diamond. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the even that lead her to sequestering Bismuth to prevent that technology from being in their hands or the hands of the Diamonds.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Gotta love how the Homeworld Rubies were finally given names by Steven according to where their gems are, but the one with the gem in her chest is called... Doc. :smile:

Morality seems to be getting grayer considering the backstory given by one of the Rubies, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My theory is that it had to have been a Man of Steel Superman issue. Only done better.