The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Just when you think the Gems and Peridot are warming up to each other, Peri innocently tells them how their conquest of Earth could have done great things for Gemkind and how Rose Quartz's rebellion is futile, which the Gems do not take kindly to. I loved how Steven did everything he could to put a stop to their conflict -- that's the sort of thing that Rose would have done.

Also, the continents of Earth other than North America all appear to be destroyed, seeing how distorted they appear on the map. Have the Gems wreaked havoc on them in the past? :eek:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say it's more a case of Cartoon Continental Displacement.
Displacement, is it painful?

The musical number was enjoyable and it seems like each episode from this week ends leaving off at a spot that'll be carried over with the start of the next episode. Have to wait until today's episode to see if this bears true.
Seems like Peridot still has a thrill of fanaticism regarding both Diamond matriarchs in spite of working with the other Gems to prevent the cluster from conquering Earth.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just when you think the Gems and Peridot are warming up to each other, Peri innocently tells them how their conquest of Earth could have done great things for Gemkind and how Rose Quartz's rebellion is futile, which the Gems do not take kindly to. I loved how Steven did everything he could to put a stop to their conflict -- that's the sort of thing that Rose would have done.
Peridot is a loyalist to the Gemworld cause, and as such does not have any of the same perspective Rose and the Gems had. She seems to have been blissfully sheltered from any connection to what lies on Earth, with the closest thing to a human she's been in contact with is Steven. Look at how in awe she was that both Yellow and Blue Diamond were represented, and how she completely geeked out over what they left behind. It's all about perspective, and the Crystal Gems' attempts to save the indigenous creatures of the planet was seen as an act of treason. Now we get to see exactly why.

But what stands out is the fact Steven's now conflicted. Peridot may have been right about how the Gems' rebellion was for naught if the planet is doomed anyway because of the cluster. They might very well have screwed something up, leading to the loss of life on the planet with nothing to show for it.

And yes, thanks CN for spoiling the fact that Peridot will turn on them again by using it in the promos.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, now we see why Peridot was such a brainwashed little soldier. The same lack of empathy, to no one's surprise, is seen in Yellow Diamond, who makes her glorious debut after being teased for a while.

It honestly could have gone either way, but I'm glad Peridot was Piccolo-ed into the series. I loved how she desperately tried to talk some sense into Diamond, only to be shot down and berated until Peridot cracked. Considering how much of an obedient little fangirl she was an episode ago, that was huge. You can really tell in "Too Far" she actually kinda wants to be friends, at least with Amethyst. Glad to see that pan out the way it did.

It was also great to see Steven lose it and feel that much anger and disappointment in trying to turn Peridot, only for it to be fruitless at the beginning. And yes, we saw another Pearl and got confirmation that there are multiples of even the elite class gems.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It was really awesome seeing Peridot chew out her boss. And we got lots of great wild takes from her, too. :smile:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Today's episode was both heartwarming and funny at the same time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
More and more, Peridot is starting to get used to the idea of being on the good side, hilariously giving her mixed feelings. And I loved how obsessed she became with shipping fictional characters, which got a meaningful echo near the end when she questioned why Garnet feels so strongly about being a fusion.

I'm a little bit disappointed that Peri and Garnet didn't fuse despite setting it up. :frown:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying Peridot's character development but i'm still expecting her to betray the gems when she gets the chance.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see it more likely that Yellow Diamond sends emissaries to Earth to punish Peridot for refusing to follow orders. She has burned too big and important a bridge to ever have the opportunity to go back.

On a side note, nice to see SU get some nice merch out there. T-shirts, stickers (the expensive kind), key chains, magnets... stuff like that. The Pop vinyls certainly. But I've noticed one thing. A lot of the merchandise focuses on Cookie Cat. Now, I'm not complaining at all. I love when in-universe references become their own merchandise. I always try to get as much Krusty and Itchy and Scratchy Simpsons related stuff as I can (you can always pretend you're buying the same merchandise Bart buys). It's just...odd since Cookie Cat only appeared in the first episode as an episode specific plot point. Even then, it was because it was discontinued. Shame there's no way to actually de-fictionalize and market actual Cookie Cat ice cream snacks (among other reasons, it would retroactively make the first episode a commercial for them). Or even Lion Lickers. I'd eat them. There's also a magnet of the Crying Breakfast Friends. I'd love to see that released as a sticker sheet.