The RHLC!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I know - the opening is hopelessly dated by today's standards...then again, in television, things get dated really quickly.

But I agree - of all the cast members, I think Richard delivers the most natural performance - 'cause that's who he is off-camera: a guy with a wicked sense of humor and who gets along really well with children.

The part of the show that got posted shows Del's (and by extension, Richard's) peppery side, the one that occasionally gets him into trouble.
Later on, once Gary's son shows up, we see Del's sweet side, the side that's good with kids.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
yea, i've read the basic sum up of what happens. and seeing only five minutes is like a tease, now i can just imagine how the rest of it panned out, and it's driving me crazy! :mad: oh well. :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Yeah, it's like seeing a warm apple pie cooling on the counter in the kitchen, and you can't have a slice until after dinner.

I was trolling around Muppet Wiki earlier, and I found some photos of Richard that I don't think we've seen before. One is a shot of him and Lisa Waltz on the set of Puppetman; the other's from when the Muppets appeared at the Royal Variety Performance in 1988.

I also spotted one from their 1977 appearance; I'll link that one later.

Richard and Lisa:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/f/f3/Rh_lw_puppetman.jpg

RVP 1988:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/b/bd/Cev88_jhk_rh.jpg

Edit: The third photo still doesn't want to link - just go to Muppet Wiki, punch in "Royal Variety Performance" and scroll down to the photos at the bottom. The one with Richard in it is, I think, the 16th one.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
Thanks for posting these pics! :wink:

It's a shame we can't see the whole episode of 'Puppetman'. I also think from what I've seen in the first five mins, that it's a shame it didn't get a few more episodes, like a short season or something (considering that's how a lot of shows start). Would've meant more Richard Hunt on our TV screens in the flesh which would've been nice.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's something I've been wondering about Richard Hunt for awhile, and I'm not sure if I should post here or open a new thread (I can't quite figure out how to properly title it). Did Richard Hunt first officially become a performer in 1970, 1972, or in-between?

We all know (or should know) that Richard first performed in 1970s The Great Santa Claus Switch, and then in 1971 he performed the puppetry for Taminella in The Frog Prince and had a speaking role in an Ed Sullivan Show appearance. I think his Muppet Wiki page says he was "invited" to perform again for that Ed Sullivan appearance. He was first credited on Sesame Street in season 4, and Jim Henson: The Works lists 1972 as the year he joined the Muppets.

It's always possible that he was invited to perform every now and then before becoming an official performer, but I do wonder what would be considered "official/full-time" for a performer, considering that most performers work freelance, though some (Michael Earl, Karen Prell) have stated that they initially were under contract.

The 40th anniversary book says that he first performed in 1970. It's possible that the book was wrong, but it's also possible that he may have performed a few times before being a major background performer. Or he could have been uncredited at first, especially considering that many performers on Sesame Street seem to go uncredited for their first year. But in most of the sketches that I know are from seasons 2 and 3, there doesn't appear to be more than five performers involved (those five could be Jim, Frank, Jerry, Fran, and/ or Caroll, of course), and Richard's voice isn't heard.

Of course, Street Gang mentions his early status as a "right hander" for a long time. I think Jerry Nelson was quoted with saying he didn't perform a character for five years, and Martin Robinson was quoted as quoting him saying he did right hands for 8 years. Of course that book makes it sound like right handers don't even do silent background characters (which is likely wrong), but regardless of whether they referred to his start as 1970 or 1972, Richard did perform voices early on; Muppet Wiki claims he did some voices in The Great Santa Claus Switch (well, maybe not, but lists some characters he was known for doing... I haven't seen the special, but unless there are behind-the-scenes photos out there it would have had to be knonw by the voice), and he did perform some voices in season 4 of Sesame Street (one of the witches in the "Witches Cooperate" sketch, and he performed a boy in the "Sesame Street News: Angry Reporter" sketch... Kermit wore his dark brown hat there, and that hat was replaced in either season 5 or 6).

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Hi, minor muppetz - and yes, you can post your question here.

The answer, I think, is both. I think Richard started out with them on a part-time basis in 1970, when he and Fran Brill got selected from the Muppeteer's workshop, and Jim would call him in on a show-by-show basis or something. It looks like he became a full-time Muppeteer in 1972.

And, yeah, the "eight years" comment might not be quite right, because it sounds like he did minor speaking parts on SST early on. And besides, five years after joining them he was doing "Land of Gorch" and the Muppet Show. Maybe it was something he said to keep over-eager newcomers in their place.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hi, minor muppetz - and yes, you can post your question here.

The answer, I think, is both. I think Richard started out with them on a part-time basis in 1970, when he and Fran Brill got selected from the Muppeteer's workshop, and Jim would call him in on a show-by-show basis or something. It looks like he became a full-time Muppeteer in 1972.

And, yeah, the "eight years" comment might not be quite right, because it sounds like he did minor speaking parts on SST early on. And besides, five years after joining them he was doing "Land of Gorch" and the Muppet Show. Maybe it was something he said to keep over-eager newcomers in their place.
You know, thinking about the credits, it seems like during the early years, they only credited main performers (and Richard Hunt... Not sure if he would have been considered "main" for a background performer), but these days (I think since the early 1990s) they credited background performers as well.

Frackles

Reaction score
Finding a role-model.

Hello,

My name is Tim Morris, and I am both a muppet/Henson fan and a Ricahrd Hunt fan. At the risk of treading into a taboo area (for which I apologise if I do), I would like to say why I, personally, find Ricahrd Hunt inspirational. Before I get into the meat of my explanation, let me say that as a child, I was unaware of Richard Hunt's role as a muppeteer. But I was certainly not unaware of his characters. A more sustained effort to analyse his work in recent years has proved to cement him as, along with Jim, Jerry and Steve, one of my favorite muppeteers.

To start with, I am gay. And as such, when I was starting out, I wanted to find some sort of frame of reference within the community, something to keep me grounded. In general, I was disappointed, as gay culture outwardly seems to put a high standard on materialism, good looks, and superficial attitudes. I'd read my "lifestyle" magazines and see that it was all fluff, and no real susbtance, this may simply be the Australian Gay attitude, as america seems to have a more varied community, with a more developed culture.

Things improved considerably when I met my partner, thankfully. But I wanted as much positive influence, as much role-guidance as possible. Then, I started doing research on Ricahrd Hunt. My partner went to a pride event, where various AIDS victims were memorialised as quilts, and lowe and behold, there was Ricahrd Hunt's quilt.

After asking around to confirm that he was so inclined, I had finally found a creative role-model who was also gay. I may be placing too much emphasis on this, but I myself am also creative, being an illustrator/artist. I put alot of faith and respect into those I see as my role-models, and I am proud that Ricahrd Hunt serves such a shining example.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
glad to meet you Frackles, Richards my roll model too.

thinking about it, i never really introduced myself to the RHLC, i just kinda jumped in. [don't think anyone really minds, right?] i'll throw in a little something if anyone wants it :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
That's okay, Nekoshema - most of us jumped in at the beginning, and we just introduced ourselves as we went along.

Hi, Tim, nice to chat again - I remember that we talked via PM a little while back. As for your question...well, I guess the best rule on the forum is just to be as diplomatic and as respectful as possible, no matter who you're talking about. And it looks like you're making a good effort in that regard.

It's wonderful to see that Richard was a role model for so many - he was a brilliant man and the world lost him far too soon.

I've been to a couple of viewings of the quilt - it's always a very powerful, very moving experience, to see all those names and the details of the people's lives sewn into them. In fact, my mother and I made a panel for Richard a couple of years ago.