The RHLC!

analeisa

Reaction score
LOL, I agree about the fashion. I get weird enjoyment out of Muppets dudes being so consistent with their outfits: Jim had his funky sweaters and Richard had his hats/Adidas. :stick_out_tongue:

As for David's recasts, I forgot that Steve Whitmire had a hand in that because of The MuppetCast. That's so awesome. :smile: Also, yeah, I think he's had more of a chance to use/practice Scooter than Janice. She's part of the band but it seems like they're tiring, bit by bit, to put the gofer back as Kermit's right hand man.

Oh! Speaking of the Jimmy Fallon appearance, I don't know if you guys caught this but apparently there was an impromptu rendition Harry Nilsson's song "One" on the set. MuppetWiki has it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDdjUkBih4

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
haha yay! I remember that vid! Glad it's finally on youtube! :smile: I love seeing the Muppet performers' outtakes, it's just gold IMO and I love Scooter eyeing the lense as the camera zooms in on him and he lets out that wonderful smile of his.

I can see what you mean about the possibility of the band fading, analeisa. I think before the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' viral video, it was certainly the case for the Electric Mayhem and Scooter but I think that video was a great revival for them. The Electric Mayhem and Scooter had such memorable moments - the band was back and rockin' hard! and Scooter was back right where he should be, as Kermit's right-hand man!

One of the things I love about that video is that no character was given more screentime or spotlight than the other, or it certainly didn't feel like that way anyway. Granted, it's a 4 and half minute piece but I'm hoping this will have an effect on future productions, especially the upcoming movie. I've kinda felt that in other films and specials over the past few years, that it's a shame that other characters were given more screentime and spotlight than others while some or a lot were pushed into the background. That's not to say I hold any resentment to those characters and I know some of them have had a hard time finding a new permanant performer, but now that that doesn't seem to be much of a issue anymore, I'll hope we'll see more of much missed characters like Scooter, Rowlf, the band, etc and they'll have some significant parts to play.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
lol, scooter was cute in that video

bohemian rhapsody was a great video, they really didn't give one particular muppet more time than another and for the most part everyone was there. in my opinion it was a perfect way to bring them back, since up till that point most of the muppet stuff wasn't that good. by which i mean wizard of oz *shudder* muppets in space is good in my opinion and treasure island is one of their best :wink: [although try having a sister who watches it almost every day 13 years. i can relate to the opening with everyone sick of billy bones story. but i still love the movie, shows what good writing can do]

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Oh, but of course. :wink:

I remember the first time I saw the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video. The minute Gonzo and the chickens first came up, I nearly died laughing.
And you're right - it doesn't give the spotlight to just one Muppet. It does justice to everyone, even some of the more obscure ones we haven't seen very much outside of the Muppet Show. And I got a real thrill out of how Kermit and Scooter got the last words.

I remember thinking, a lot of care went into that video - and a lot of die-hard fans worked on it, along with the Muppet crews themselves. And I knew that somewhere in the great beyond, Jim and Richard and all the others were laughing their heads off.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
oh yes. i they went downhill a bit but they're returing to their former glory [just in time for the year of the muppet :wink:] and everyone who has died are looking down and laughing... possibly hecking

analeisa

Reaction score
I love seeing the Muppet performers' outtakes, it's just gold IMO and I love Scooter eyeing the lense as the camera zooms in on him and he lets out that wonderful smile of his.
Omg, Muppeteer outtakes are the best. They mess up but they’re in character while doing it. And yes, the zooming in on Scooter was adorable. I think you can tell David doesn’t know "One" super well. :wink:

I can see what you mean about the possibility of the band fading, analeisa.
To be fair, I think the Mayhem has always been more of a unit than anything. The band is important (and I love them <3) but the individual band members don’t get too much of a chance to develop. They just have their own little moments. But you're right than they were getting pushed to the side. Animal was pretty much the only band member who had moments.

Anyhow, I also soo agree about the greatness of the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video. The best part about it is that various side characters played a part. Rowlf was back at his piano, Scooter was back at Kermit's side, all the band were back at their instruments, etc. I do think the success of that video will help make the Muppets more ensemble centered again. Steve Whitmire even said on The Muppet Cast that they won’t keep using the same characters like Beaker for virals because that’s boring. I don’t hold any resentment of productions that focus on a few characters but they do need more variety. The Muppets work best when it’s all of them together.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
first, happy st. pattie's to everyone [forgot to mention in the last post]

i really hope they change up who they feature. no offence if you are a fan, but i wish they weren't so in your face with animal. he's really not that important over all, still entertaining, but Floyd is seen more. i guess i get a little upset seeing animal everywhere since all i've ever wanted is a scooter plushie of my very own...

and behind the scene stuff and outtakes, i love them. that's really why i buy DVD's myself. ok, yes, owning the series is another reason, but if i have something on VHS [remember thoses things?] and it works, bonus features are the only reason's i'd buy it. i hope the new season has of muppets and men, or something awesome like that :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Back at you - happy St. Patrick's to everyone. Today's the day when it's easy being green. :smile:

Someone really needs to go through the archive footage of each of the three shows - and the movies - and put together an outtake reel. That would be hysterical - of course, it would take up at least three discs or something.

On one of the MuppetCast episodes, there's an audio clip of outtakes from the Declaration of Independence sketch from one SST episode in the late 1980s. It's got Richard as Don Music (playing Thomas Jefferson) and Frank as Grover (as a colonist) and I think Jerry as Phil the chicken. But it's a riot - someone keeps flubbing a line, and Richard starts laughing his head off, and Grover sounds more like Miss Piggy in high dudgeon.

"Look, I follow Frank wherever he goes. I trust him, because I know eventually, within the hour, he's going to get back to the bit." :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Though i'd post my observation on this here than in a Boom! thread, but i'm finding it really interesting how in Roger Langridge's Muppet Show Comic Books, his Statler sometimes tend to more actually resemble Richard Hunt more than the puppet - take a look at the Statler and Waldorf page following Vet's Hospital in the latest issue to see what i mean! Don't know if it's intentional, subconscious or accidental but i find it a really cool tribute either way.