The RHLC!

Nekoshema

Reaction score
lol, bittersweet is right, i laughed but at the same time i was shaking my head [speaking of heads, i think i saw a hat twice that might be Rich]

when did it come out? cuz i heard the last thing Richard ever did before he was too sick to preform was a muppet special remembering Jim Henson, but he sounded better in that one [maybe it was the quality]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDcCIrq7G4 [if no one's seen it]

analeisa

Reaction score
Well, the video's info box said it was from 1991 and The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson was from late 1990. However, Youtube's info isn't very trustworthy so the Jim Henson special could have been the last thing Richard. I don't think I want to know exactly when Richard had stop puppteering though. Too sad.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
yes, far too sad for me as well. i don't want to think about the time after he put the muppet down because of health, it gets me teary eyed imagining what he must have gone through from that point on. :sympathy:

:boo: Better get out your old army uniform
:sleep: Yes, with a 108 angry countries there's bound to be trouble

[lol, there were others i wanted to use, but it would cost too much explanation... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfx3QAV64M&feature=related go out with a laugh]

analeisa

Reaction score
Yeah, it gets me teary eyed too. Besides, considering how Richard loved high-energy things/loved to be that way himself... I don't think he would people to think about the answer either. Now I feel kind of bad for bringing such a sad topic in. :frown:

So, anyway, that's an awesome Statler and Waldorf reference. Man, I hadn't watched them heckle Milton Berle in a long time. They're so hilarious. <3

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
You're right - we don't know what was going on in Richard's mind during those last few months, but I'll bet that for him, the worst part was having to stop working with the Muppets - probably just as painful as the illness itself. :cry:

But as we've said many times, he packed a lot of laughs into 40 years, and made sure that we got to share in those laughs. That's what matters, and that's probably what he'd want us to think about.

Loved the Berle clip: "I just came back from a pleasure trip - I took my mother-in-law to the airport!"

"I have been a successful comedian half my life!"
"How come we got this half?"

Man, Statler and Waldorf (and by extension, Richard and Jim) were firing on all four cylinders. Those were some real zingers.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
the one story i like remembering about richard's later years, i'm sure you've heard the story where he was at his cottage and a storm came in and everyone evacuated but richard and he just sat onhis roof watching the whole thing. i find that a very beautiful and humbling image in my mind [i might draw it one day]

"hey berle, you know what? i just figured out your style. you work like gregory peck."
"...gregory peck's not a comedian."
:boo:"well..."

****, one of the best lines. my mom and i are like statler and waldorf when we go most places :wink:

analeisa

Reaction score
Oh, yes. That story about Richard just watching the storm is one of my favorite Richard stories. You're right that it's a very humbling image. Sometimes I do smimilar things: just watch the sky and think how I am part of everything.

Also: again, I have to agree that Richard would want us to remember the joy he brought to people. To got a tiny tangent: that's why I'm so happy Janice and Scooter finally have a stable new performer in David Rudman. Richard would want his characters to keep fufilling the dream and he did love David.

As for Statler and Waldorf, my favorite exchange was:

"Do you sing or dance?"
"No."
"Can you get laughs?"
"No."
"What would you do?"
"Just what you're doing!"

Man, as funny as those two are, their relationship itself is great. I want to find someone I can joke around with until I get old and gray.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
yea, i love watching the sky. i can be quite content watching bird, or just stairing out the window in the car. it makes me happy :flirt: also, i am quite happy his characters have been recast, and with it being david, he'll do them justice, at least i think, since they were friends.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
Been a bit since I last posted here. Hey, gang :smile:

I was watching that interview vid on youtube with Scooter & Gonzo just now - very kewl find! It's really great to see Scooter in a interview too as most interviews I've seen with the muppets seem to be Kermit/ Miss Piggy, Kermit/ Fozzie or Kermit/ Gonzo. I'll definitely post that on the Scooter facebook group :wink:

But I have to ask was that really Richard performing Scooter or someone else filling in for him at the time? The voice kinda sounds too off for it to be Richard to me. But like mentioned here, maybe it was the quality.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Hi, Fletchy, how're you doing?

To my ears, it does sound like Richard - but he sounds kind of off. And that's a good point - it could be the sound quality, or it could be that Richard wasn't feeling well that day.

Oh, yes. That story about Richard just watching the storm is one of my favorite Richard stories. You're right that it's a very humbling image. Sometimes I do smimilar things: just watch the sky and think how I am part of everything.
It's one of my favorite images as well - and you know, it's kind of symbolic. Just as the Cape was under siege from the storm, Richard's health was under siege from his illness. And I think his refusal to abandon the house was also a way of saying he wouldn't let his illness break his spirit. That's the way I see it.

It does seem that the house on the Cape was very close to Richard's heart - sure, we all know about how he loved being the center of attention and everything, but it seems that even he needed to go somewhere for some quiet time every now and then.