The New What Made You Frown Today Thread

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So I went to a library in a town close to my old one just because there was a Naruto book my old town’s library didn’t have (61) and I planned on checking it out. I would have just read it there, but unfortunately that library is still pretty strict with the mask mandate regardless of your status and I didn’t feel like keeping it on my face when I read it, so I just decided to check it out.

Unfortunately, because I live in NH now, I had to pay 50 dollars to get my card renewed. It also didn’t help that the woman (typical old boomer) had a bit of a bitter attitude when I was interacting with her about it. Thankfully though I didn’t have to deal with her again when I got back with the money after I took it out from the ATM. Still, I was pretty irritated I had to spend so much for my card just because I no longer live in Mass, especially since my old town’s library I didn’t have to pay any money at all when I mentioned my new address. But I do genuinely enjoy going there when I’m in the mood, so I went with it. Still, I’m probably not going to go there for a good while until this virus actually starts to become more under control and masks are no longer a thing period.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sheesh; what kind of library actually charges people for (re)new(ed) cards?! Back in the fall, I had to be issued an entirely new card, because my old card had been inactive for so long, it was no longer in their system . . . which is such a shame, because my old library card number was easy to remember and memorize because it was rather repetitive, so on occasions where I needed to use a computer at the library, I didn't even have to get my card out of my wallet and look at the number because I had the number in my head. Not anymore, heh.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I don’t know what their deal is honestly, but what’s done is done. At least the second woman I interacted with was much friendlier so there’s that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My dumb new phone keeps deleting certain files by iself, and it seems to be files I downloaded myself from a direct source, rather than through an app like Zedge (i.e. email attachments and the like).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Just….. :sigh: knowing this series will be coming to TV very soon…

Seriously, I remember as a kid being so excited when a new Thomas video would land in stores in pre-school/kindergarten and elementary school….. that all changed quickly when that dreaded Steamies Vs Diesels tape (the first to release season 8 in the U.S) came to stores in May 2004….. and then the series only got worse as time went on and….. lead to this.

I really wish my child self knew what the show would eventually become later on in life.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Well, as a kid you have no way of knowing that. Some creators/producers have a good show, but then they jump the shark or run it completely into the ground.

I mentioned somewhere else, John Cleese avoided that with Fawlty Towers.
He only created two seasons, six episodes each, twelve episodes total. Every one is a masterpiece. Fawlty Towers was voted best British sitcom of all time..
Cleese has been offered tons of money to create more episodes, but he always refused. He knew he could never re-create that chemistry that made the show work so well.

Same with the Beatles. During John Lennon’s lifetime, various promoters and record company execs made offers for one more concert, or one more album. It never happened. The Beatles left behind a near-perfect body of work. Any attempts to reunite would be a disappointment b cause expectations would be so high.
On the other hand, you have the Stones who never knew when to pack it in. Mick Jagger, on the wrong side of 80, is still praying around singing “I can’t get no satisfaction “, and the Stones haven’t released a decent album in decades. Some people don’t know when to call it a day.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The thing is Thomas originally was meant to only be intended for two seasons in the UK. The crew ended up focusing on its sister show TUGS a year after the second season finished in the UK….. which sadly didn’t gain as big popularity as Thomas did and ended.

Then in 1989 is when Shining Time Station came about and Thomas was brought to America, still only intended for two seasons with Ringo’s narrations. It wasn’t until its popularity in Japan that Thomas got renewed for a third season (courtesy of FujiTV) and then the rest is history.

For me personally, I could have lived with Thomas just having two seasons with UK dubs by Ringo. I could have also lived with the show just having four seasons, or five and the first movie, or seven seasons total. But eight onward is when I officially jump ship.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I understand unfortunately show biz life can be very frustrating like this, and sadly once you give a show to a network you no longer have any control over it. But this is one of those cases where, as someone who has many fond memories of buying tapes from stores with my parents, toys from toy shops, going to Day Out with Thomas events, buying books, and even seeing Thomas and the Magic Railroad on the big screen with my dad, it just really makes me so angry to see what a show that was a big part of my childhood has become and why I sometimes find myself feeling like Squidward.

But hey….. show biz. 🤷🏿‍♂️