The New What Made You Frown Today Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They finally begun tearing down our local mall. I mean it's been sitting empty and abandoned for years now, but it's still a sad sight since that mall was a big part of my childhood.

Meanwhile, there's a ton of videos on YouTube of urbex'ers wandering around inside, but here's an interesting one that includes some photo and video footage of the mall during its history:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to love going to the mall as a kid . . . kaybee toys, the Disney Store, fye, Auntie Anne's, Waldenbooks, and the pet store, among others, were always my favorite shops to hit whenever taking a trip over there.

And back in the day, Toys R Us was right next door to the mall (they closed looong before), so it was extra special if I got to visit both places in the same day.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
My favorite stores were easily Suncoast, Disney and the Pet Store. There was also another store (I completely forget the name) that had little Wallace and Gromit figurines with other toys and ****. It was next to a glasses shop that had a nice fish tank.

My mall has changed a lot over the years. All the stores I mentioned are gone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot my eye doctor used to be in the mall as well, but several years ago they moved into a new little strip mall on the other side of the mall that also includes a Zaxby's and an Aspen Dental.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Growing up in Columbus, I spent my mall time at 2 malls. One is the Polaris Fashion Place, where I haven’t been in years. I enjoyed going to the Disney store and running errands with my mom there occasionally. Sadly, they don’t seem to be doing so great. They missed their payment a few months ago, they’re probably running out of anchors, and just last month, they experienced their first 2 shootings. I’m a little worried for them, since they meant so much to me as a kid.

Luckily, the second mall was seemingly thriving before COVID (I last went about 3 months prior to the pandemic beginning). It’s called the Easton Town Center, and in addition to a mall building, there’s also a hundred or so stores and restaurants in an outdoor shopping district (including a luxury car dealership). I usually went to their main building, Build-A-Bear, LEGO Store, and sometimes was even forced to go to the American Girl store for my sister. I don’t know if it’ll last either, but I’d say chances are higher than Polaris.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oh, that’s very unfortunate to hear that shootings happened at that mall! This is why I have a fear in the back of my mind of finding myself in a potential shooting incident one day with how many go on yearly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The area where our mall closed down has seen some reverse-gentrication in the last several years, and has kind of gone ghetto . . . supposedly the parking lot was seeing a lot of drug activity at night.

Meanwhile, there's one other mall all the way on the west side of town that's still open for the most part, but it was never as fun as our east mall - if anything, the west mall has a rather confusing floor plan.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
My local mall isn’t torn down, but 3/4 is empty. I too liked Kaybee and the Disney store. Plus fye and Auntie Anne’s pretzels.
But Sears closed, Penney’s is hanging by a thread, and the food court only has a handful of places to eat.
Two things killed malls. One is online shopping, so malls’ loss is Amazon’s gain.
Second, the rents are So high, it’s hard to stay in business and make a profit.