The New What Made You Frown Today Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You can’t rush into relationships. It’s like having a garden. You don’t get roses blooming the very first day. It takes time to nurture, patience, pulling out the weeds, staying committed to watch it grow. It takes time.

Next week my wife and I will be married 20 years.our marriage wouldn’t have lasted if we didn’t have a solid foundation.

And I’d reel in the “single and ready to mingle” angle. It reeks of desperation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And truth be told, the longer the string of exes you leave behind, the greater your chances are of deal with unnecessary drama that you would really rather not put up with. I don't speak from experience, however, I've seen friends of mine deal with this before with any number of their exes.

This is one of the main reasons why I've never had any interest in the dating scene. I'm perfectly content being single, and it doesn't really bother me if I never marry or have a soul mate (I consider myself a married to my work/art kind of guy anyway). At the same time, I'm not completely dismissive of the idea that maybe there could be somebody out there for me, but I would just as soon that somebody and I come into each other's lives, and that be the only relationship we ever have to concern ourselves with . . . and I know that's a cock-eyed, unrealistic notion, so I don't really look for it to happen that if - if it even happens at all.

I was in love with a lady friend of mine for years (as many of you older members may remember), and when I finally confessed my feelings to her, she gently rejected me because she didn't return my feelings. At the time, I wasn't completely surprised, but it still cut like a knife, and I did end up crying myself to sleep that night. But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20: these past four years have brought out her true colors, and I see a totally different person than whom I had fallen in love with previously, so now, I'm actually glad nothing progressed between us.

I will confess, there has been another lady friend of mine whom I've been fancying for a couple of years, but this time around, I'm handling the situation a lot better (I think mainly because I went through this once before, so I know how to get a grip on myself), but I also doubt anything would progress between us - mainly because she's bisexual, and seems to have a stronger preference for women than men.

But again, in the end, I'm not at all fearful of ending up alone for the rest of my life. Besides, even the Bible says marriage meant for everybody, and if some of us are meant to be single, it's better they remain single.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Snowthy , I still wouldn’t rule out the possibility Mrs. Right might still come along. It’s one thing to be devoted to your work and art, that’s great. Nothing wrong with that. I felt that way too at one point. But man being the social creature he is, the way you feel now, being alone with no attachments, someday that may change. Humans will always desire companionship.

I can’t speak for everybody, but I’m a happily married man. We still have ups and downs like all couples do, but we’re together. God forbid if something happened to her, I’d want to find someone new because I don’t want to be alone again. And if I go first, I’d want my wife to remarry.
I’m blessed I found The One, after a long string of girlfriends that never worked out.
I never had my heart broken, and I’ve had more easy letdowns than not. But when the Right One comes along, it will take you by surprise.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One last word on dating and relationships.
one thing that exists now that didn’t exist back then is e-harmony, where you can really customize your profile.

Way back in the Stone Age, all we had were dating services, singles bars, and answering personal ads in the paper.

All of these were hit-or-miss at best.
Bars were sleazy, and girls really don’t fall for pickup lines like “Hey baby! You come here often?”
Personal ads- unless you’re financially independent, got your own car, own place, own job (and money in the bank), NEXT!! If you’re still in college or still living at home, you’re not much of a catch.

Dating college girls... maybe. It might be okay to grab a bite or something. But bigger commitment- most people at that age their commitment is to graduate.
Any long-term commitment cannot work unless you’re on equal footing.
And her commitment has to be just as strong as yours.

My wife and I happened to meet on a Catholic retreat. We were paired up to supervise a group of undergraduates.
I was 25, she was 24, and we were practically the oldest ones there. There were no sparks at first, but in time things blossomed. And it...took...TIME.

Again, if you want something worthwhile, and this applies to anything in life, you need to put your time in.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Snowthy , I still wouldn’t rule out the possibility Mrs. Right might still come along. It’s one thing to be devoted to your work and art, that’s great. Nothing wrong with that. I felt that way too at one point. But man being the social creature he is, the way you feel now, being alone with no attachments, someday that may change. Humans will always desire companionship.
Like I said, I'm not entirely dismissive of the notion, I would just prefer not having to go through some sort of an elimination process with a bunch of exes looking for said Mrs. Right.

mariolover

Reaction score
Another sleepless night (yes it’s a school night).

Staying up and ate a bowl of cereal while watching a 1999 episode of The Price Is Right on YouTube. It's fun to go back and watch old school stuff sometimes.

Maybe in addition to being a contestant on Jeopardy! and WoF, I could also be a contestant on TPIR! It's a little different on that show because all you have to do to be a contestant is be in the audience and there is a chance you will get called down! (I know the latter statement is happy, but it fits with the first statement.)

Last edited:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
My phone won’t charge properly anymore because I pulled my charger out too hard and now I’m going to have to look into getting a new charger.