The New Am I The Only One Thread

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
The older episodes I haven’t seen much of, but when it comes to my childhood episodes (seasons 36-39 were my favorite), I can usually watch everything up to EW, then I quit. And I don’t even hate EW, I just prefer watching it when I’m not already in the middle of something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think this is actually one of the reasons for the format change starting in Season 33 when they adopted the block format, rather than the magazine format they used from the beginning, because the constant disjointing of the street scenes by other inserts, sketches, numbers, and what have you were causing kids to lose interest (which is why we also ended up with EW in the first place, because it was that final quarter of the hour where kids interest had practically bottomed out); the block format gave kids a certain structure that they could get used to.

I mean otherwise, as has been said, when it comes to episodes I've already seen on TV during my time growing up, sure, I'll watch the whole thing for nostalgic purposes, but when it comes to watching rare episodes and such online like YouTube and what have you, yeah, just the street scenes are perfectly fine with me.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was quite the opposite with Elmo’s World..... sure, I didn’t mind it for awhile but then it felt like it just completely got in the way.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I loved EW in Season 30. I really liked EW in Season 31. I was okay with EW in Season 32. I got tired of EW in Season 33.

What's ironic too is that when my PBS used to do pledge drives, sometimes they'd just air random episodes of their shows, rather than stick with the usual rotation, so even when Seasons 30-32 were still airing in repeats, it wasn't uncommon to suddenly see episodes from, say, Seasons 25-29 during pledge drives . . . and when that happened, I really wasn't happy, because I was really receptive to EW in the beginning, so to suddenly go back and show an older episode that didn't have EW, I found it quite a jarring experience - not to mention seeing the previous version of the set with the lack of Elmo's apartment building, the green Hooper's Store with the striped awning and checkered storefront, and, ugh, ATC.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Seasons 30 and 31 were where EW was at its prime. Season 32 is when I completely lost interest.

But even I have to admit, I loved watching Sesame Street more for the inserts than I did the street scenes (but that probably goes without saying). There were episodes that had some memorable scenes but others were just like “okay, get back to the inserts.”

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I’m kind of the opposite. Even during my years of watching (when Mr. Hooper ran the store), I really didn’t pay much attention to the street scenes. But any insert, whether it’s Muppets, cartoons, or a bus driver in Seattle, I was a happy guy.
It something how some episodes were big deals back then.
First when Stevie Wonder was on, holy cow, it doesn’t get better than this. Then a week in New Mexico. Then a week in Hawaii. Then Big Bird goes to China. Then Mr. Hooper dies. By then, with much resistance, I realized I outgrew the show, and it’s time to grow up and face the future. But I was well-prepared.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was the same way by the time season 33 premiered. I was only 8 years old but by that point I grew out of the show (at least how it was currently being played). I’d still get joy out of watching my now-missing skit compilation tape and reliving older episodes on Noggin before seasons 25 and 30/31 were both removed in 2003 and 2005 respectively.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's old enough to remember Smash Mouth's song "All Star" existed before SHREK basically made it its theme song?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Nah me too! I heard it plenty of times on the radio coming home from kindergarten. I was mind blown as a kid hearing it in the opening.