The Muppets are getting worse

spcglider

Reaction score
Well, there's nothing wrong with insisting on better.

The Muppets have one big problem at the moment: they have no leader. They have nobody with a singular vision to lead them. What they have right now is a bunch of marketing strategists trying to quantify them so they can pidgeon-hole them into a money-making formula.

But we all know better.

It don't work like that. You cannot place a gallon of liquid creativity into a pidgeon-hole without giving it a flexible container first. I know that's a bit obtuse, but it really does apply.

There is nothing wrong with the fans of the Muppets insisting on better. Nothing at all. The pathetic efforts so far (including trying to make us think that the Muppets in commercials is proper "exposure") SHOULD be questioned and rejected if you feel so inclined.

Are we really serving the best interests of our favorite characters if we simply accept any dreck with the Muppet name on it? I think we have a responsibility as consumers to accept GOOD material with thanks, but I also think it is our part of the dynamic to let them knwo when we think they've let us down.

If we don't, how do they know they aren't failing?

-Gordon

Timotheus

Reaction score
I do rather dislike the raunchy air that some of the humor takes in the made for tv stuff (like, the nipples comment on Oz, I felt that was rather unneccessary). The muppets have always been clean, family friendly comedy, and then they go and throw that stuff in. That irks me.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Kaiser Gonzo said:
man, what is happening to the muppets. they are so going down hill. i THINK ever since Muppets from space therre has been less and less quality stuff, and come on Muppet Oz was not the best. what do u guys think, are the muppets getting worse:smirk:
Thank you. Its good to know that there are still a few people who, like me, feel that traditionalism is more important and of immeasurably higher quality than the modern garbage the Muppet characters have been subjected to.

I've been saying this for oh, 4 years or so now. Frogster's old thread about the Muppets retiring is a good example of my more complete views on this subject, which is a focal point of my philosophy regarding the work of Jim Henson.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
The Muppets used to be kind of rebellious in some way. Like, testing the boundries of night adult television using puppets. Not in any controversial matter, just in a new way. But now they seem like they are just used as commercial, talking props, or teen appeal. Seems like the spirit has almost been drained. Almost sickening. But there's still hope.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be all pesamistic, but let the muppets retire, i mean that, what is the point of letting marketing tychoons drag them on, and on and on, i would be very very sad if they retired but it is the best possible thing for the muppets.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
i see it like this, if say Jim carey died and some film company wanted to make a Jim Carrey movie and they go find a guy that looks and sounds abit like Jim carrey, and they ask him to star as Jim carrey in the film, of course it would'nt be good, its like this with the muppets, Jim is sadly dead, frank has finished, Jerry has retired and richard is sadly dead, instead of cgoing around trying to find people that sound like them, and finding writers that write like Jerry Juhl (RIP) and puppet makers that make puppets like Don Sahlin, just stop, and et people enjoy the original material, come on let the real Jim stuff rule on!!!!!

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I kind of agree, but let's keep Sesame Street on, cause it seems to be helping kids. Otherwise, yeah, Muppets should probably retire unless someone with a rully good vision takes over.

spcglider

Reaction score
Kaiser Gonzo said:
i see it like this, if say Jim carey died and some film company wanted to make a Jim Carrey movie and they go find a guy that looks and sounds abit like Jim carrey, and they ask him to star as Jim carrey in the film, of course it would'nt be good, its like this with the muppets, Jim is sadly dead, frank has finished, Jerry has retired and richard is sadly dead, instead of cgoing around trying to find people that sound like them, and finding writers that write like Jerry Juhl (RIP) and puppet makers that make puppets like Don Sahlin, just stop, and et people enjoy the original material, come on let the real Jim stuff rule on!!!!!

Like, say, umm...THE PINK PANTHER? I'm gonna HATE that movie even though I LOVE Steve Martin.

-G

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
I kind of agree, but let's keep Sesame Street on, cause it seems to be helping kids. Otherwise, yeah, Muppets should probably retire unless someone with a rully good vision takes over.
I'm starting to wonder. Ever since they shifted the target age demographic it hasn't been the same. :frown:

(Of course I feel it serves a vital role in educational television, but still..)

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
spcglider said:
Like, say, umm...THE PINK PANTHER? I'm gonna HATE that movie even though I LOVE Steve Martin.

-G
I saw it. It's pretty good. It's a little different from the original. Steve Martin, of course, can't live up to Peter Sellers, but he did a pretty dang good job. :big_grin: