The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Depending on where you are, you might have a donut shop near you. Down South is Kristen Kreme. Canada and out West has Tim Horton’s. Around here, you can’t go five feet without bumping into Dunkin’.

In recent years when it was still Dunkin’ Donuts, there were two by me. One was open 24 hours, the other closed 10 pm. If you went to the second one just before closing, and ordered a coffee and two donuts, more often than not they’d give the donuts away.

Dunkin’s policy is to throw away any donuts that didn’t sell within six hours. It’s a shame because sometimes they might have dozens left over. In the garbage they go.
They don’t dare give them to the homeless, for fear of getting sued if someone gets sick.

That sounds absurd. If you’re living on the street, don’t have a dime to your name, getting sick on a stale donut is the least of your worries.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When I was a kid, Dunkin Donuts was always something of a joint-venture with Baskin-Robbins . . . every location of these two in town always shared the exact same building, you could very well walk from one side of the store to the other to get ice cream and doughnuts.

Then, for some reason, Dunkin completely disappeared during the 2000s, and only Baskin-Robbins remained for the longest time.

Then about the mid New Tens, Dunkin gradually started to return to town in their own locations, and at the same time, Baskin-Robbins began disappearing instead, and ended up being replaced by a local froyo chain . . . because, as you recall, froyo was one of the trendy foods of the New Tens, for whatever reason.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There was only one store up here that had a Dunkin and Baskin Robbins under one roof.
Their merger didn’t last long.
Baskin Robbins had a few stands in mall food courts, but that’s about it. Out in California, they’re everywhere.
There are a handful of froyo places, but they’re not everywhere.
The one closest to me used to be a Cold Stone Creamery, and I think they were better.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Coffee and milk, yes.
Even tea with milk, yes.
Iced tea with orange juice, maybe.
But orange juice and milk, no way, no how.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, I was just thinking of that sweet rolls cartoon from the Electric Company and all the drinks the guy listed mixed together.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In the infamous "Calzone" episode of SEINFELD, eggplant is apparently a pizza topping and even a calzone filling . . . I can't imagine what that would be like, however, I will say that eggplant is a surprisingly good vegetable when prepared properly - and by that I mean you really have to let the slices of eggplant sit in some salt for several minutes to draw out the bitterness and oilyness from the vegetable, which even some restaurants fail to do (not to mention it helps to peel them as well). Otherwise, coat 'em in some Italian-flavored breadcrumbs, fry 'em up in a skillet, they're very tasty. Speaking of Italian, eggplant parmesean can be pretty good as well, though if given a choice, I'd go for chicken parmesean instead.

Now, I'm curious, has anyone here ever actually tried sardines before? Because I have recently, and honestly, they're . . . not that bad. Fishy, yes; oily, yes, but they're not entirely disgusting . . . if anything, I'd say they're like oversized anchovies but without the saltiness.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I know people talk about dabbing grease off of a pizza is seen at effeminate and queer, but last night I realized just how glad I am I do it anyway, because I ended up eating some particularly greasy and oily pizza, and man, I did not feel good later in the night . . . also probably didn't help having a huge slice of cake made out of Reese's for dessert either.
I mean that’s the thing with too much grease. It can easily upset your stomach. This is why I never plan on eating an entire Costco pizza pie because their pizza is super greasy.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You know, when I was younger, I used to enjoy getting stuffed crust pizza - it wasn't always that common to come by, so whenever any place offered it, it was usually a limited time offer that you had to jump on while you could.

But it took me into adulthood for me to come to realize that stuffed crust pizza really isn't all that great . . . I mean, the idea of gooey cheese inside the crust does sound awesome, but when you bite into the crust, especially after it's cooled a little, you realize that all it is is just that string cheese stuff inside the crust, not like any of the kinds of shredded cheeses they sprinkle on top of the pizza. A bit of a let down.
To be honest even as a lover of string cheese myself even I have to admit the stuffed crust pizzas aren’t always something to write at home about.