The Dark Knight thread.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
They're going to reair the film in January? Odd.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay...

I here they are going to re-releases this movie in January so it can get Oscar consideration.
That happens with a lot of Oscar-worthy films. I'm a little surprised and pleased about this re-release. It will already be out on DVD by that time. However, I believe the second release will count toward final box office gross. The current estimate as of this weekend is $517,680,000 domestic. It's doubtful it will touch Titanic's $600M domestic total, but I so hope it will!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I hope it will too. Titanic needs to be sunk...

peyjenk

Reaction score
Why would a January rerelease make it eligible for an Oscar? Isn't it already eligible?

peyjenk

Reaction score
I thought that the eligibility season was Feb-Jan. As in, to be eligible for an Oscar in 2009, your movie had to be released sometime between February 2008 and January 2009. I mean, summer movies have always been eligible for the Oscars. Sure, none of 'em ever win, but they are theoretically eligible, right?

I think I might have just broken the world record for using the word "eligible" or some form thereof in one post. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
December 31st is the last day a film is eligible for Oscar nomination the following year. It has been that way for decades if not forever. That makes for interesting wins sometimes – films like Silence of the Lambs that took nearly a year and a half to win!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Why would a January rerelease make it eligible for an Oscar? Isn't it already eligible?
A movie has to be out before December 31st in order to be considered for an oscar nomination. A movie out after 2008 would be considered for the 2009 oscars.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Right.... and The Dark Knight was released this summer.... before December 31st.