The Dark Knight thread.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I hope it will too. Titanic needs to be sunk...
I don't think that is quite possible as that movie was considered to be a fluke.

Warner Bros. plans on re-releasing the film in IMAX theaters in January 2009, the height of the voting for the Academy Awards, in order to further the chances of the film winning Oscars. There is no official word yet on if it will be re-released in traditional theaters.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Me too. IMAX theaters often air movies that've since left traditional ones.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This thing has had global Box Office returns of $985,003,174

$525,003,174 domestically

$460,000,000 Internationally

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's pretty early, isn't it?
It's fairly standard. Summer movies are often released on DVD before the holidays. Iron Man just came to DVD last Tuesday - right under 5 months after theatrical release. The Dark Knight is coming to DVD right under 5 months as well. And I hear the Dark Knight will have a special edition figural Bat Pod packaging! :batty:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I still think it's a little problematic to rush things so fast.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still think it's a little problematic to rush things so fast.
Why? That is how the home video market has been in general since Tim Burton's summer Batman film hit VHS in time for that very Christmas in 1989. If there were anything problematic about the practice it would have presented itself in the last 19 years.

Movies used to take years to hit home video and were usually prohibitively expensive until that specific Christmastime release. It set the standard for everything to come. It has been said that the first Spider-Man picture made more money in its first few weeks on DVD than it did during its entire domestic theatrical run.

Of course DVD sales are not counted in the official box office tally, but the new box office figures will count when the Dark Knight is released again in its limited Oscar push next year. This film stands to make over one billion dollars worldwide before its final bow from the Cineplex. I see nothing problematic about any of it.

As an added note, it is rumored that union contractors have already negotiated set construction to begin next year for the next Nolan Batman film. Knowing how detail oriented the director is that does not necessarily mean shooting will start for quite a while after that. It’s just nice to hear rumors of something happening. I know he will make a quality film. :super: