The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are a lot of people out there, especially fans of the show, who would much rather see regular female chipmunks instead of depressed female chipmunks. That's just me, but I'm right.
When are you ever wrong, Daniel?:wink:

A friend of mine at another forum feels this would be highly improbable because how are you going to market emo in a "family" movie?

I mean, unless they're going to be a emo as Jojo was in Horton Hears a Who!, I don't see how they would succeed with making the girls emo.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
A friend of mine at another forum feels this would be highly improbable because how are you going to market emo in a "family" movie?
I agree. I can't see this working at all

I really just think that being emo is silly. The term "emo" has become a bit of a parody. And to have characters that are actually designed to be "emo" is extremely laughable and pathetic. The last thing we need is a movie that kids are going to see that promotes that concept. It's beyond me.

Teheheman

Reaction score
You're right Snowth, I'm rarely ever wrong lol. But seriously, I think that's what they're gonna do. Make the Chipettes "emo" like that kid on Horton Hears a Who. Not suicidal, but wearing all black, and all that other stuff. Emo has become kind of a joke and you can't take stuff like that seriously. What is emo now anyways? I mean, it used to actually MEAN something, but now it's just used as a generic term to describe todays youth and used now as a "cool" trend. Which isn't right, but whatever.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right Snowth, I'm rarely ever wrong lol. But seriously, I think that's what they're gonna do. Make the Chipettes "emo" like that kid on Horton Hears a Who. Not suicidal, but wearing all black, and all that other stuff. Emo has become kind of a joke and you can't take stuff like that seriously. What is emo now anyways? I mean, it used to actually MEAN something, but now it's just used as a generic term to describe todays youth and used now as a "cool" trend. Which isn't right, but whatever.
this is why I hate something that was clearly created as a counter culture becoming mainstream. You always massacre the original identity of the movement. Look at Hippies. Ruining their own message of peace with style. Same thing happened with geekhood too. now us ugly old school socially backward types fall behind good looking posers that like nerdy things on their terms.

That said, the one reason why I'm anxious about seeing Horton was just seeing that one Emo kid. Seriously. If that was made 5 years ago, he'd be a suburban white kid talking "Hippity Hop." Emo's like Goth with out the commitment. it's lazy goth. And as much as I love pasty white doughy girls with jet black hair, that whole trend is annoying.

That said, I could totally picture Suicide Girl type Chippettes. Rediculous, out of character, and massacring a classic as it is. I feel the one thing that kept Alvin and the Chipmunks from being a great film was the fact that it similtainiously panned the music industry and stylization, yet embraced it. I'd like to see the Chipettes as a girl band. An 80's style girl band. But I'll take "socially maladjusted" (not really, though) Suicide Chippettes over hip hop hos.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that the term "Emo" is just another way to market what's know as "Corporate rebellion"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think that the term "Emo" is just another way to market what's know as "Corporate rebellion"
I kind of agree, but I believe in this case, "Emo" would be as Drtooth described, since apparently, they're going "Emo" because of "the orphanage" and "the situation with their mother".

I mean, I don't remember if their mother was explained on the show, but I do remember they were living in an orphanage in Australia with a human friend, but escaped when the headmistress attempt to exploit their singing talents. From Australia to the streets of New York, from their elaborate treehouse, to the custody of Miss Miller, I don't recall them once ever being depressed or "lazy gothic" about what happened to them.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I kind of agree, but I believe in this case, "Emo" would be as Drtooth described, since apparently, they're going "Emo" because of "the orphanage" and "the situation with their mother".
Oh, I know why their making them Emo in this film and it makes sense. but I'm talking about why there making them that way. And that would be to keep them up to date with "the Times" and to make then appeal and to be more marketable to todays "new, hip and young audiences. but that 90 percent of the chipmunks claim to fame I suppose is keeping up with the "current scene.":smirk:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean think about it. Do you think that if they did this movie 10-15 years ago, they would BE emo? Most people wouldn't know what that was. Now, it's just the "cool" thing.

Daniel

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
No, I'm sure you're right they wouldn't be, Maybe they would have been themselves, but then again maybe they would have been what ever was trendy at the moment them too.:smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, so long as they're not Emo like this, then I guess it'll be alright...