The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score
Where the Simpsons went (right for the brand) wrong for the individual motion picture is that they didn't go for broke and held back a tremendous amount. Fans and the general public expected more, but it's still a very good film. [/url]

I think half the problem is that they could have gone all the way, if they planned to make this the ONLY Simpsons movie, and the series finalie to the TV show. But they didn't, and somehow planned to make a second one (which something tells me they won't). I though the DTV Futurama movie was a little deeper, and could have been released theatrically (even a limited release like the Kid Toons cinema, which has theatrical versions of DTV's anyway- but for adults in art house or college theaters). Still, I'm more offended they didn't start the season off with an episode where unsettled things were settled. All we had was an altered opening where Bart skateboards through a rebuilding Springfeild, with Spiderpig on the couch.

I'm really not so surprised about the Chipmunks. I expected it to reach $100M domestically, but not the biggest Fox Studios hit of 07. There just aren't enough real family friendly films out there for it to compete with. Waterhorse, I guess, but it doesn't have the snuggle-fuzzy factor of the Chipmunks. I really was surprised that I liked it as much as I did.
I will say, I didn't expect it to have been this huge a success. I mean, it looks like it even surprised Fox. Plus, other than Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, Walden Media hasn't had any real successes yet. Half the movies they made were denounced by critics as being "TV movie quality." So Waterhorse, being based on an obscure book, didn't sound like much of a draw. it probably is a sweet little film, but it looked dull as heck to me. I don't think any kid would beg their parents to take them.

Plus, with Mr. Magorium being just a lot of overblown hot air that deflated rather quickly, the only other "Family" film would have been that dreadful Fred Claus.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I've heard interviews with Matt Groening saying that he was going to do a Simpsons movie when the series was over, but I'm sure that the Simpsons would never end, and will still be going on long after anybody dies. Plus, I'm sure that there will be a sequel to tie up any loose ends there are from the first movie. Now, Futurama would have been perfect for the big screen, especially that movie because that show has a tremendous fan base still. I'm sure that FOX would have made a killing on that movie if it were in theaters(even for a limited release or something)

Daniel

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Simpsons still have a couple of theatrical film options left in their contract with Fox. I'd expect one or two more with a domestic box office gross of $183,132,370 and enormous DVD sales. It will happen.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Oh yeah, especially since during the credits Maggie says "Sequel?" and considering that the Simpsons made a LOT of money in the theaters, then a sequel is inevitable.

Daniel

Telly

Reaction score
The Chipmunks made me addicted to toaster waffles

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Chipmunks made me addicted to toaster waffles
I hate toaster waffles... they're so... crispy! I waffle's supposed to be light and fluffly! Like Waffle House waffles!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, especially since during the credits Maggie says "Sequel?" and considering that the Simpsons made a LOT of money in the theaters, then a sequel is inevitable.

Daniel
There should be a sequal. And there almost undoubtedly be a sequal. But I think they're still trying to hammer out a script. look how many false stars on false feet they had. Took them 17 years to make a film. When you think about how Aqua Teen Hunger Force was only around 3-5 years before they had a film. Even South park had a movie relitively early in the series.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There should be a sequal. And there almost undoubtedly be a sequal. But I think they're still trying to hammer out a script. look how many false stars on false feet they had. Took them 17 years to make a film. When you think about how Aqua Teen Hunger Force was only around 3-5 years before they had a film. Even South park had a movie relitively early in the series.
There were many reasons a film wasn't made. Matt Groening was reportedly upset over Futurama's cancellation likely being the main hold-up. This seems to be partly remedied. But also with the show running full force a movie just didn't seem necessary. It still seems kind of silly even as Homer remarks at the beginning of the film during the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. It's a different marketplace now with DVDs and theatrical films almost being interchangeable (unfortunately). Just saw the Simpsons on blu-ray last night. Spider-Pig has never looked better.

Oh, and there was a Chipmunks trailer. Just had to add that in this thread.

unclematt

Reaction score
Saw the movieand was impressed. I actually was drawn in and pulled into the story. I enjoyed it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There were many reasons a film wasn't made. Matt Groening was reportedly upset over Futurama's cancellation likely being the main hold-up.
Plus, did you hear any of the rumored plot lines? WOW. The movie could have been a nightmare. And when a show is on that long, there's not too much surface they can scratch.

But also with the show running full force a movie just didn't seem necessary.
The funny thing is in Japan, almost every TV series has a special theatrical film during the run of the show. Even really early on, like a year or so into the show. Doraemon has been around as a cartoon since 1979, and has had a movie every single year since the mid 80's (though, to be fair, like the show, they're mostly remakes of ealier works). I have to add, for the most part, these are triple billed with others, and the "films" are just 45 minute cartoons.

Here, making a TV cartoon into a movie is a crap shoot. It's too risky a market, and most of the time it just isn't worth it. Disney tried with Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp. And since it wasn't a success, they scrapped plans for Rescue Rangers. it wasn't until A Goofy Movie (based loosely off the universe of Goof Troop) they even tried to make a current or semicurrent cartoon series into a film. And then came the One Saturday Morning Trillogy. Doug, which was to have been released directly to video at one point, Recess, and Teacher's Pet (the best of the Bunch, IMO).

Viacom had success with Rugrats and Beavis and Butthead, and mild success with the Rugrats follow up and the Wild Thornberries. The crossover film, I hear, flopped. Hey Arnold flopped big time. Even worse than Powerpuff Girls, which was stupidly reelased during a competitive summer season (Lilo and Stitch, as well as Star Wars 2), causing them to junk the Codename Kid's Next Door film on television. it isn't even on DVD yet.