The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And IMO, those laughs are only genuine to the generation of today that lives off of off-color MTV-style potty humor and not the subtle, yet-still-gentle humor of years past.
And my mom never would let me watch MTV.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And what really kills me is that someone started a rumor that Michael Richards was doing a voice in the movie, and suddenly everybody's like "so, does Michael Richards shriek about black people in this movie?", "Is Michael Richards a bee who hates black bees?"
Truth? Either he made an uncredited (due to the obvious) cameo, or they hired someone that sounded exactly like him. He played the Air Traffic Controller at the end of the film.

Shrek the Third looked great, but was a mess of a film. There were enough fun moments to coast through - and it made 320M domestically compared to superior film and story - Ratatouille's 206M. There's no accounting for taste. Poop jokes always win-out over quality storytelling.
Well, that's mainly due to the fact that Shrek is well established, and a lot of near sighted people would rather see something familiar than take a risk with something new. To Me Shrek 3 was meh. It could have really been the last film. It really should have been the last film. I really thought that the whole "Puss and Donkey have a caustic relationship" thing was played out in the last film. And having Justin Timberlake play King Arthur? Terrible. Terrible idea. But hey, Dreamworks is all about A list celebs doing voices. I didn't hate it, but I am hesitant to see the fourth one. Though I did like the Christmas special.

Anyway, Panda Fu looks meh. i could give it a chance. Hey! I even saw Shark Tale, and felt there was a few enjoyable moments in it. plus Jack Black was great in it. However, everytime I see it, I get extremely thankful that Will Smith passed on Osmosis Jones, and they got Chris Rock instead.

And IMO, those laughs are only genuine to the generation of today that lives off of off-color MTV-style potty humor and not the subtle, yet-still-gentle humor of years past.
I'm glad someone gives Potty humor more credit than it deserves. it's not adult. It's 2nd Grade kiddy stuff. I mean, even potty jokes, done well, can actually be funny. But there's a difference between Arale (from Dr. Slump) playing around with a talking poop and Alvin eating a "Raisin" to me. Farts haven't been funny to me since John K got ousted from Ren and Stimpy. Though I will say Kinnikuman flying by farting is a lot funnier than half the crap we have here.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I'm glad someone gives Potty humor more credit than it deserves. it's not adult. It's 2nd Grade kiddy stuff. I mean, even potty jokes, done well, can actually be funny. But there's a difference between Arale (from Dr. Slump) playing around with a talking poop and Alvin eating a "Raisin" to me. Farts haven't been funny to me since John K got ousted from Ren and Stimpy. Though I will say Kinnikuman flying by farting is a lot funnier than half the crap we have here.
No, no. What I am saying is that the jokes done nowadays are too blatant and obvious.

Nowadays, everything must be MTV-styled fart/poop jokes mixed in with swears and sexual situations that make the act of making love something to be mocked or be taken lightly.

At least, back in the day, even with potty humor, the laughs gotten were genuine, for the jokes were--in themselves--subtle and yet understandable.

Take Animaniacs! for example. It did do potty jokes (Potty Emergency), butt jokes ("You forgot Uranus"; Uranus sounded like ur-anus), sexual inuenndo ("Hellooo Nurse" sequences via said character and the short-lived Minerva Mink), and whatnot, but it also did it amongest things to be taught (the now-outdated Nations of the World, the names of All Fifty States and Their Capitols, some of The Words in the English Language, etc.) and alongside pop culture references (then-President Bill Clinton in the opening, celebrity charicatures appearing in star-studded episodes, historical parodies of famous events such as Paul Revere's Ride & the creation/signing of the Declaration of Independance).

All the while it did this through subtle nods and references, and only so few of it was blatant, and even the blatant stuff wasn't as...rude...as some of the shows seen nowadays via [adult swim]. Sure, you could say that could be because 'maniacs was geared towards children, but then again, the show did garner a huge adult fanbase, hence why it was pulled from the WB! lineup once management was changed and the anime shows started coming in to take all the money away from hit programs.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'll agree that humor seems to be devolving into more and more obvious jokes that would better suit people riding a "Cheech and Chong" fix, if you catch my drift. :cool:

But the claim that humor, music and modern culture are being dumbed-down is a claim that every generation makes about the one that follows it. Media simply reflects (and sometimes encourages) modern young culture.

I'll give you that I think modern young culture is filled with stupid reality programs that prey on the worst in people, hip hop lyrics that glamorize narcissism, bling, meaningless relations, crime and a general disrespect for humanity. I tend to think of this influence like the Junk Lady in Labyrinth.

And if I see one more girl on my street in ill-fitting clothes thus giving her that unattractive "muffin top" tummy bulge over a gross pair of jeans I'm gonna lose my lunch. It appears so many people are living in their own ipod musical. It's cute to see a cartoon character, Muppet or the chick from Hairspray sing while walking down the street, but it usually doesn't work in real life. :crazy:

Back to point - I was disappointed the Chipmunk movie included a few low-brow gags. They do go by fast and the moments are greatly outweighed by better-crafted humor and even some touching moments. :cry:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It's cute to see a cartoon character, Muppet or the chick from Hairspray sing while walking down the street, but it usually doesn't work in real life.
Singing has nothing wrong with it if what is being sung doesn't bring out the worst in people. And indeed, modern youth culture does show all those negative qualities, as well as poser subcultures (goths and emos when both are pratically identical, sans small differences) and other things, which is why I try to stand clear of it. But what about those of us who grow up with the 70's-90's television that brought us loveable values and lessons in life? It seems we from those generations seem to be losing out in this fight for control over what's being done in the world, and it saddens me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No, no. What I am saying is that the jokes done nowadays are too blatant and obvious.
I agree, I think we're settling way too much lately. We're given material that is less than stellar, and we call it brilliant, because it's all we have. And we forget that only a few years ago, things were a lot better.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I agree, I think we're settling way too much lately. We're given material that is less than stellar, and we call it brilliant, because it's all we have. And we forget that only a few years ago, things were a lot better.
Indeed. And this is why those of us of generations past cannot seem to fathom the current age.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Honestly, I think we made strides in terms of shows like the Office and My Name is Earl. I mean, I can understand where sitcoms are stuck. They either wind up being bland, formulaic family based junk (usually with a big oafish uber masculine father who is an idiot), or bland formulaic junk about single people trying to get lucky (ripping off the far more superior Freinds or Seinfeld models).

But what bugs me is this new weird humor that (once again) copies Napoleon Dynamite. This whole painfully awkward= funny stuff. There was a perfect example of this on SNL. This couple had awkward kids that acted awkward, and I guess the humor was supposed to come from the disgusted reactions of everyone else. I didn't find it funny. I found it painful to watch and disgusting, just like the cast members in the skit.

I know there's a happy medium. I mean, Shrek (and most of Dreamworks ) films come on way too strongin terms of humor. Like they have to cram as many jokes into a minute as possible. But not in the much superior format of films like Airplane! And the three Naked Gun films.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Going to see Chipmunks again with friends and my partner tonight. Leaving for it in a few. My guy still wants to see it! :smile:

My pseudo-rant before (he he) was directed to our culture becoming more and more socially handicapped. So many people are isolating themselves by plugging in earphones, ipods, cell phones, PSPs etc, at any opportunity. And if you don't think it's annoying hearing someone's caterwauling and singing along to the music in their head - just get stuck by one for an hour on a cardio machine at the gym! For most of them it would be best to focus on heart-rate rather than try to hit a note that their inherent tone-deafness sadly (for everyone) won't allow. That, and of course the addicts in my colorful neighborhood that sing at all hours of the day and night! My neighbors and I refer to them as the "crack choir". :crazy:

The continual disconnect of people in favor of electronic devices (I am using one right now) doesn't just shut the door on in-person, actual social intercourse, it also shuts out different perspectives and ideas. This, I feel, flows into entertainment and creates a limited selection of media - thus quality. The more meeting of the minds and sharing of information = the more possibilities arise. I feel, in part, that this is to blame. Sound bite culture. :grouchy: