The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Still, fame shouldn't drastically alter personalities, IMO. And one scene or not, it was still nothing like Simon to be acting as such.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Still, fame shouldn't drastically alter personalities, IMO. And one scene or not, it was still nothing like Simon to be acting as such.
I don't see how one tiny growl drastically alters a character's personality. :stick_out_tongue: It seems like your mind is already made up and that's fine. That 1.6 seconds just doesn't support much of any case about the film. :sleep: The case really is the thin story. Some people got to foot-tapping in the theater.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm surprised Bee Movie has been getting such negative reviews, I thought it was terrific!
I agree! I'm glad someone thinks so too!

Well, I for one still want to go see this film. Hope I get to soon. :smirk:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Whilst I do agree Bee Movie was underrated, I don't like seeing my childhood remade--and usually badly--just for profit.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's a Hit!

Movie goers must not have listened to movie critics this weekend as Alvin & the Chipmunks opened at the number two slot and is projected to make $45 million in its opening domestic box office weekend. Most every critic gave a rather scathing review of the picture, but none seemed too keen on bringing Alvin and the gang back in any context thus tainting each critique.
:sleep: :boo:

The majority of online moviegoers appear to have enjoyed the movie and overlooked its evident discrepancies (i.e. thin plot, a couple of unfortunate crude jokes that required a PG rating and a change in voice casting). At a running time of about 90 minutes I expect return trips for the tots. That is this sort of film's bread and butter.

I Am Legend opened at number one with an impressive $76.5 million. Critical consensus is mixed on the film, but again that didn't stop people from attending and enjoying it. I look forward to this one even though I don't appreciate much about Will Smith.

Golden Compass has sunk domestically, but is doing well overseas where more audiences don't have as many religious inclinations to boycott. That seriously has challenged its box office performance in the US. It's at this weekend's number three spot with a $9 million weekend and a $41 million gross to date. I think the sequels will be made if the foreign moviegoers maintain their support.

It appears that moviegoers didn't stay home this weekend thus making for a 36% increase in ticket sales from last year. As a lover of cinema this makes me very happy. People are going to the movies! (even if the quality of films doesn’t meet my expectations)
:smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Film quality doesn't meet my expectations either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. But recall what occured with the 2003 cartoon...which was similar in style...until they pulled that "Fast Forward" garbage.
There were 2 problems with Fast Forward.... Firstly, Playmates (the toy company) came up with the idea, and 4Kids decided to tone the darkness down to a ridiculous extent. Mainly due to negative reactions from the Standards and Practices people at very dark episodes like Insane in the Membrane (which never aired) and Nightmares Recycled (which wasn't even finished in production). Ironically, the ratings for Fast Forward were better than the rest of the series. Not to mention the fact that Peter Laird decided to pull the show before they reached a true ending, leaving the show directionless until the very last episodes).

I'm surprised Bee Movie has been getting such negative reviews, I thought it was terrific!
You know, I finally saw that one last night. And BTW, I was eating Junior Mints, and the theater was small, like those ones they forced POW's to watch war propaganda films (Seinfeld fans would get the joke).

I enjoyed it. I guess you'd probably like it a lot more if you're a fan of Seinfeld's stand up act, and expecting that instead of the Seinfeld sitcom. Quite a bit of it was like his stand up shtick in animated form. Like the entire thing about how come Honey is marketed in Bear shaped containers if they're the bees mortal enemies. personally, I think it was one of the better Dreamworks films. Especially how bad Shark Tale was, and how Panda Fu looks like it'll turn out.

Golden Compass has sunk domestically, but is doing well overseas where more audiences don't have as many religious inclinations to boycott. That seriously has challenged its box office performance in the US. It's at this weekend's number three spot with a $9 million weekend and a $41 million gross to date. I think the sequels will be made if the foreign moviegoers maintain their support.
Heh heh. This is the first time I saw something that religious people boycotted that actually didn't do well. Maybe it's because the movie goers didn't give a crud either way. Maybe it's the oversaturation of overblown epic films that are tiring the heck out of everyone. I still think it wasn't made as an Anti-Narnia, so much as a Pseudo-Narnia.

I will say, I think I may check out Alvin after all. Maybe. I'd rather see Walk Hard myself. I still think recasting the munks to fit little Suzie and Jerry Bourgeoisie was a little much. And I really think (from what it sounds) David Cross is supposed to be a pseudo-Uncle Harry (if you've watched the 1980's series, you know what I'm talking about).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And for me, changing personalities--even just for one scene--irks me as a beloved fan of the original 'munks.