The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
personally, I think it was one of the better Dreamworks films. Especially how bad Shark Tale was, and how Panda Fu looks like it'll turn out.
That's EXACTLY what I've been saying! Usually, any non-Shrek film DreamWorks does just, somehow, never measures up to them, but I feel Bee Movie did just that!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Agreed. Bee Movie was underrated. A "wrong place at wrong time" sort of deal.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And what really kills me is that someone started a rumor that Michael Richards was doing a voice in the movie, and suddenly everybody's like "so, does Michael Richards shriek about black people in this movie?", "Is Michael Richards a bee who hates black bees?"

GEEZ! THE MAN MADE A MISTAKE! HE ADMITTED HE HAS A PROBLEM MANAGING HIS ANGER! HE MADE A PUBLIC APOLOGY! GIVE HIM A BREAK ALREADY!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You know, I finally saw that one last night. And BTW, I was eating Junior Mints, and the theater was small, like those ones they forced POW's to watch war propaganda films (Seinfeld fans would get the joke).

I enjoyed it. I guess you'd probably like it a lot more if you're a fan of Seinfeld's stand up act, and expecting that instead of the Seinfeld sitcom. Quite a bit of it was like his stand up shtick in animated form. Like the entire thing about how come Honey is marketed in Bear shaped containers if they're the bees mortal enemies. personally, I think it was one of the better Dreamworks films. Especially how bad Shark Tale was, and how Panda Fu looks like it'll turn out.
That was likely my issue with the film - the rambling. I enjoy Seinfeld's stand up fine, but in short sets. The film was rather scattered. There just wasn't much to maintain my interest. Brad Bird has said that most animated films these days are made because the technology is there, but neglect to check if there's a compelling story to tell.

The animation was beautiful! I like that they chose the film to be stylized. Some people don't get that and think a cartoonier look means the animation team some how copped-out. That's not the case. From the color palette, world and character design, the film works. And I liked the theme that a very bee's existence goes against the laws of science. It just seemed like a half-hour program stretched into a feature film.

I’m giving the Panda a shot, like I gave Bee Movie a shot. I love films, especially animated ones, and I really want them to be good. I am concerned that they haven’t really told us what the story is about. Will it just be a fat panda Rocky with a bunch of training montages?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Brad Bird has said that most animated films these days are made because the technology is there, but neglect to check if there's a compelling story to tell.
And how right he is, for many films recently have lacked a certain sustenance.

Teheheman

Reaction score
And what really kills me is that someone started a rumor that Michael Richards was doing a voice in the movie, and suddenly everybody's like "so, does Michael Richards shriek about black people in this movie?", "Is Michael Richards a bee who hates black bees?"

GEEZ! THE MAN MADE A MISTAKE! HE ADMITTED HE HAS A PROBLEM MANAGING HIS ANGER! HE MADE A PUBLIC APOLOGY! GIVE HIM A BREAK ALREADY!
Not til he becomes a card carrying member of the NAACP. But enough about that, this is neither the thread nor the time to talk about this. Bee Movie? Sounds like it would be good. Although, I dunno, you guys are right when you say that Dreamworks really doesn't make good CGI movies(the looks are amazing, and Shrek is great, BUT other than that, it really doesn't compare with the writing and styles of Pixar)

Daniel

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not til he becomes a card carrying member of the NAACP. But enough about that, this is neither the thread nor the time to talk about this. Bee Movie? Sounds like it would be good. Although, I dunno, you guys are right when you say that Dreamworks really doesn't make good CGI movies(the looks are amazing, and Shrek is great, BUT other than that, it really doesn't compare with the writing and styles of Pixar)

Daniel
Shrek the Third looked great, but was a mess of a film. There were enough fun moments to coast through - and it made 320M domestically compared to superior film and story - Ratatouille's 206M. There's no accounting for taste. Poop jokes always win-out over quality storytelling. :mad:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Shrek the Third looked great, but was a mess of a film. There were enough fun moments to coast through - and it made 320M domestically compared to superior film and story - Ratatouille's 206M. There's no accounting for taste. Poop jokes always win-out over quality storytelling. :mad:
Agreed whole-heartedly. Ratatoullie was an INCREDIBLE movie throughout the entire thing, while Shrek the Third had a few jokes that went over well while the plot and the rest of the movie were a total flop.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I kind of agree... for pure laughs, Shrek the Third is tops in that category, but for overall story and writing, Shrek 2 is what you want, in my opinion.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And IMO, those laughs are only genuine to the generation of today that lives off of off-color MTV-style potty humor and not the subtle, yet-still-gentle humor of years past.